Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by criterion01 View Post
    Failure2Stop.....I generally shoot this at 7 for classes. Utilizing distance as a "means to know one's limitations" the focus often changes to speed of shot over efficiency of reload....and lack of accuracy "just to get a shot off"....excellent teaching points throughout.
    I understand your reasons, it was simply not stated on the video, and there was no mention of the accuracy standard or shots of your target.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    My favorite drills: Pistol and rifle

Dot torture- started at 3m, once I constantly get 50/50 move back to 5m, then 7m

1-5- distance depending on steel or paper targets. Size of the target ups the difficulty. Par time 5secs always

V-drill- distance depending on steel or paper targets. Size of the target ups the difficulty. Par time 5secs always

Hack standards!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Here's a vid I put up recently on the FAST from pistol-training.com. It's more of a benchmark than a drill, but can be utilized as both if desired.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    And up next is DOT TORTURE. I enjoyed shooting this drill. Definitely showed me a few things to work on.

Feedback Score
    The "TDA" variant of Dot Torture is great as well. I tend to prefer it as I carry a TDA pistol, and it lets me focus on that DA first shot and transitions to SA.
    Cyril: Oh now that's a breach of trust!

Lana: Do you really want to open this can of trust-breachy worms after I just found you and my ex-boyfriend with a dead hooker in the trunk?

Cyril: ...I do not.

A Dream of the Dark Continent

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ran a Farnham Drill at a class over the weekend, one of my favorite pistol drills since you get so much out of it.

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/09/fa...tol-class.html

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    One of the other drills I run when I go to the range is a one shot from draw, 7 yards, A-Zone (vtac/etc type target) from concealment. We do this standing for starters then we do it on the run, gata get accurate and fast first before you do the run part though. Shot with G17L from a #wulfberht custom AIWB holster.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Hostage head-shot targets

Feedback Score
    I made up my own drill set (I think I'll name it, "Ron's 42 Drill") and thought I'd share it and get some peer review. I intended it to be a fusion of some basic skills requiring very little equipment or set-up.

It does lack the element of time because I have don't have a timer yet!

First the parameters:

-All drills 3 yds and beyond begin with a side-step. Whichever side you start with, go the other way next time.

-Each drill includes drawing from however you intend to keep your gun ready.

-Cover / Concealment locations are determined before beginning. Preferably something to either side and back of the range. If you have no props to use put sticks down or make lines in the dirt.

-After each string the shooter moves to cover while observing target just fired on, and then surrounding area.

-Reload as needed to avoid running empty during any string. Do it behind cover if your slow, or while moving towards cover if your fast. Still observing area. Be behind cover or moving.

-All cardboard should have a head and chest target. You can use a notebook paper sized target for the chest and a half-notebook sized paper for the head. Or use the half-notebook sized paper for all targets. You can also use 5x8 cards.

Here is the actual shooting part:

1. 4 shots 25 yds two handed chest
    2. 4 shots 15 yds two handed chest
    3. 4 shots 7 yds two handed chest
    4. 4 shots 3 yds two handed head
    5. 4 shots 3 yds primary hand only two chest then two head
    6. 4 shots 3 yds support hand only two chest then two head
    7. 4 shots 1 yd primary hand only using a chosen retention position into chest
    8. 4 shots 1 yd support hand only using a chosen retention position into chest

-Now you'll need two targets about 1 yd apart. These are all 5 shot srings into the chest of each target at 3 yds.

9. Primary hand only. One shot into T-1, two shots into T-2, then two more shots into T-1
    10. Same as #9 above only using both hands.

Total is 42 rounds.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-23-15 at 07:21.

Feedback Score
    Performed the drill I made up today (above this post) and liked it.

The wife did it too. (with .38 wadcutters in the LCR...can shoot those all day)

Plenty of re-do's because we'd go too fast...and miss shots. (imagine that) I used half sheets of notebook paper for all except when using the Ruger LCR at the 25 yd range.

I liked the movement involved. Move, shoot, scan the target, move away and scan the area while moving to cover to reload. (No side-step before drawing at the 1 yd retention drills)

I did the drill with the S&W 627 and it was fun. Even with +p 125 gr Rem ammo it's an enjoyable revolver to shoot. Eight round capacity is nice for this drill.

Then I did it again with the Ruger LCR .357. I have to admit the same 125 +p was getting a little tiresome by the time I finished it.

Finally I went again with the Glock 19. It's easier with the Glock that's for sure.

I think it's a good refresher drill to practice shooting and do the other things we should always do. Things like moving, using cover, being aware of surroundings. I'm looking forward to having family and friends do this little drill set.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-10-15 at 23:34.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast