Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That's why I suggest doing any courses or competitions cold, they are test, different people's thought of what a gun fight may involve or a percieved standard base don that or what's a norm for a cross section of skill levels.

On the review or warm up, that can be tailored to accomodate other training, maybe hit the harder stuff more but still do the base drills.

My last range session had a lot of shooting on the move with both weapons. Why? because they are the hardest for me(like most) and I need more work with them to build my skill.

My thought on courses are this-put a rat in maze and sooner or later he will find his way out. The more you do course, the more familar you are with it and the better you will do.
    Maybe do different ones here and there to test your progress with training or compare your skill with others or levels listed by the course designer.
    Be mindful of parameters of course because some are geared towards lets say a person with open carry with speed rigs and the time standards on some of the drills are not workable with a trooper with a full load out kit, etc.

Mark
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 05-13-08 at 20:26. Reason: .
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

ToddG Guest
    There is no one-size-fits-all approach to training. Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, different range capabilities, different amounts of time and ammo, different goals.

A few general things that work for me:
    • I use the same exact warm-up drill every time I go to the range, and track my performance on that drill. This gives me a way to measure how I'm shooting cold.
    • Don't burn out on one skill or type of drill. Some people will go and work on speed speed speed for two hours, but they're not really practicing much. I'll do some speed work, then marksmanship practice, then work on gun handling (reloads, malfs, etc.). If I've got the time and ammo, I'll cycle back through or start focusing on the things that I didn't do as well as I should.
    • Have goals & and a plan. Don't just go to the range "to shoot" or "to practice." Know what you're going to do, how you're going to practice. You don't need a strict step by step program, but things like "work on weak hand only shooting" or "fix that problem I had with my reloads" would be appropriate to have on your list.
    • Understand the difference between shooting and practicing. Fifty rounds of practice beats 500 rounds of shooting.
    • You can't trust your sense of time when shooting. If you don't have a shot timer or some other objective measure, you have no idea whether you're doing something faster or slower.
    • You will rise or fall to the level of those with whom you associate. Get a good shooting partner or group of guys who are better than you, who can push you to perform. Sometimes it's good to shoot by yourself, but working regularly with good (read "better") shooters will do more for you than just about anything else.

Feedback Score
    I've been doing a lot of what LAV had me and my training partner do in his class. Aubrey's AAR is a good reminder for me of the drills that we did. The 10 rounds in 10 seconds from the holster at 10 yards into a 5" bull is my favorite to put myself through a couple times a range session. I do this now from both left and right (strong) two handed shooting. It's kind of cool to put my buddies on this drill at 7 yards and then show em it can be done at 10 yards weak side...

I also enjoy working the pivoting that LAV showed us. I'll through that in a lot now so as to make my shooting a bit more difficult from a fixed point.

Scotty Reitz of ITTS taught me to not shoot from the same location twice. His stated reason was that he never met a suspect who let him have a do-over shot if he had missed. So I also tend to walk all over the range and take shots from varying angles, distances, stances, and shooting hands. It drives my regular training partner nuts.

I also invested in a timer like Todd mentioned. A shot timer is real cool to run the timed drills... but it is also neat to see how long it's taking me to come out of the holster and get off my shots too.

I also work transitions from my AR or shotgun a lot.

The box drill as LAV showed me, along with other movement drills keep me humble.

Anytime I walk back to reload from the truck I call for a "walk back drill" as LAV also showed me. That is really cool for keeping the fun factor up between myself and whomever is out training with me.

We usually practice for 2-4 hours. A box of shotgun shells or 90~ rifle rounds and 100-150 handgun rounds is the usual if we go all 4 hours. Sometimes it's slower if we bring out someone from my jail who isn't as used to shooting.

I really try to mix it up to keep from getting fat dumb and happy. I like that comment about training outside of your comfort zone.

Tim.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tjcoker View Post
    AAR is a good reminder for me of the drills that we did.
    Amen. I've taken two LAV classes and have written down (just about) every drill that we ran. These drills are for practicing skills, such as shooting on the move, turns, malf and reload drills, etc. Basic stuff, all of which, I just realized, can be dry-fire practiced.

My challenge is finding a range that will allow me to live-fire practice as I desire. For example, in my neck of the woods, I have a tough time finding a range that will let me shoot .223 carbine inside of 75 yards. Turning and moving? Shooting at night? Fuhgedabouddit.

There are a few things I've taken away from LAV on practicing:

1) Train outside your comfort zone - regularly.
    2) If you're practicing right, after 200-300 rounds TOPs, you're gonna be junk (and with .223 what it is, broke).

One of my favorite LAV drills is to shoot at a 200 yard target with your weak side (derived from his infamous walkback drill) from low read or switch-shoulder. At first, it was like trying to wipe yer a$$ with yer toes, but then over the course of 50 or so rounds, it began to feel natural and gradually accuracy improved. I still can't hit the side of a barn relative to other folks I've trained with, but I'm hopeful that I can improve over time.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    I've seen Mr. Hackathorn's IDPA classifier with the M4, seems like a great "practice" session. However it is only 90 rounds, and I'm guessing it would take just a few minutes to accomplish.
    Like you said, there are many drills and others who have taken LAV's carbine courses are familiar with dozens of excellent drills. Do not overlook Ken's modified IDPA classifier (MIDPAC) for the carbine. It is an excellent set of drills. Do not think that 90 rounds is not sufficient. If shooting it once doesn't float your boat, shoot it twice, three times, ammo is only money at 35 cents a round.
    The MIDPAC has all of the element for skill building such as:

Pprecision shots (head)
    Relative close range of 15 yds. (as in CQB if you want to use cool terms)Maximum range of 40 yds. (lets you set it up in most pistol bays of many gun clubs, as most gun clubs frown on using their 100 yd or longer range for one individual usage)
    Shooting on the move (forward, backward, lateral)
    Reloading
    Transitioning to support side
    Shooting around barricade
    Multiple targets

I've used it for practice many times since Ken showed it to me. It takes a single shooter a little longer than an hour to run through from setting up to administering the COF, reloading, pasting targets between stages, etc. If you want to make it tougher, shoot it during low light (dusk). I've seen my scores improved, not to the super combat wombat ninja master level yet, but improving. Shoot it with 5.56mm or shoot it with .22LR if you have a conversion kit.

Don't discount it, give it a try, you'll appreciate it.

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 30 cal slut View Post
    2) If you're practicing right, after 200-300 rounds TOPs, you're gonna be junk (and with .223 what it is, broke).
    That's far too broad a generalization. Some people fatigue (arms, eyes, and/or brain) faster than others.

More importantly, if you're practicing right you should not burn out after just a couple hundred rounds. I've put plenty of students through an 800+ rnd/day program and while folks might have sore thumbs by the end, they're still learning and improving. It's all about pace, keeping focus (your own or the students' as appropriate), and switching things up so the drills stay interesting.

Now, 200-300 rounds of practice is certainly good, and there's no point in shooting more just for the sake of launching lead downrange. But setting some kind of arbitrary round count isn't necessary or productive.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    For pistol sessions.... I personally don't subscribe to "warm-ups". I don't condemn them, but for me... I just jump right in.

There will be No warm up prior to an actual shooting, so I don't want to become dependant on that step in my training.... and translate that to expected failure in a real life shooting because I didn't get to warm up.

I will jump right in to draw and fire drills as quickly as I can get set up. Now somewhere during the session, I'll step it back and do dry firing depending on how good/bad my live fire is going.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    I will jump right in to draw and fire drills as quickly as I can get set up.
    My warm-up drill is to draw and engage a 5x8 card at 7yd with as many hits as I can get in a given time period. By keeping track of how many hits I get when I'm "cold" I have an idea of where my actual skill and preparedness are that day, and over time.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    How do you feel about shooting different platforms or shooting rimfire during the session?

I know guys who are against shooting non Glock platforms for fear of messing up their trigger control.

And I've had instructors who've felt that shooting rimfire pistol will hurt your carry/duty weapon shooting.

ME? I shoot any and every gun I can get my hands on. I'll easily switch over to rimfire for a while. I find that it settles down my trigger control on my real pistols quite a bit.

I like to break up anything resembling a regiment when it comes to practice.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

ToddG Guest
    That's a loaded question, pardon the pun.

I'm not a big fan of jumping from gun to gun. We call it Simon's Inverse Multi-gun Paradox, aka The SIMP Principle.

I'm neutral on the .22 kit thing, though. My personal experience is that it encourages sloppiness in grip and other recoil management skills. At the same time, it can be incredibly beneficial for working on marksmanship, reset, and gun handling skills. With the price of ammo going through the roof, it's hard to tell people not to use a .22 kit. I just think you need to stay away from anything related to fast multiple shots. A .22 kit is essentially dry-fire with a bullet hole and slide action.

Another thing I'd recommend for someone going the .22 kit route: start and end every shooting session with your "regular" full power ammo. Put the rimfire practice in the middle. Get to the range and confirm you're doing things right. Before you leave the range, get the feel of full recoil back.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast