Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's my regime

As to rd count, it's usually 150-+200 5.56mm and 200 9mm.
    I 'll start with pistol and my Homemade IDPA Cardboard tgts at 5 yds.
    one full magazine (17rds) as a warm up. I'll practice my presentation and put the first rd COM and the next 16 rds in the same spot (or at least try to) I concentrate on my presentation, my grip, front site pic and trigger press and trigger reset.

I go slow and shoot for accuracy and correct form.

from there I'll start to speed up. 1-2 additional mags worth.

Then I sling up my AR and do the same thing at the same distance for 28 rds. concentrating on the same thing (minus the front site as I'm an Aimpoint guy..)

After my warm up I work on Emergency reloads by firing single rds in a mag to bolt lock and then E-load with a 2 rd mag.
    I'll work on transitions after that. Single rd with the AR and then transition to pistol and execute failure drills (1-Head/2-CenterOfMass). I do this for a whole 28 rd AR mag.

I'll mix in hammer drills in with Failure drills. All AR drills will start from Indoor ready (muzzle down pointing about 4-5" in front of my left foot)

This usually takes me about an Hour. Then if I have the range to myself, I'll move the tgts back to 25 yds and practice some shooting on the move drills (using a Pair of Tgts) and practice Box drills (2shots COM left tgt,2 shots COM Right tgt,1 shot -head right tgt and 1 shot-head left tgt) and failure drills. I then work in transitions on the move as well. This usually takes me another hour.

Other drills I like to do are
    The Devils Drill. A very good drill I learned from Greg "Sully"Sullivan from Defensive Edge. I like it cause it's a good well rounded drill.
    At 18 yds using your tgt of choice ( I use Homemade Cardboard IDPA tgts. I pencil in a 8" wide Rectangle for COM and an upside down triangle that's a little smaller then a 3"x5" Index card for the brainbox)

You start from Indoor ready with a 8 rd mag in your AR and a 16 rd in a pouch.
    put 8 rds in the 8" COM from standing, change mag on way down to kneeling
    put 8 rds on 8"COM and then drop to prone and put the last 8 rds in the 8"COM within 18 seconds.

All hits within the 8"COM Zone.

There are several Variations of this drill with Rd count and distance to the tgt. this is just one.

What I try to concentrate on the most is my manipulation and Handling skills. What I have found and have learned from guys smarter then me with way more experience (you know who you are..) is that any Bucket-head with an AR and some descent ammo can hit a tgt. What brings shooters to there knee's is handling and manipulation. Being able to work all the controls and do the things you want to do when you want to do them with speed and smoothness.

Not that I'm a great shooter , but if I have a pretty descent gun and some halfway descent ammo, I can sit in the prone off on a bench and pretty much hit what I want all day long. That is not the Skill I am after (cause frankly... I already have it...) I want the skill of speed and smoothness and the ability to manipulate my Pistol and Carbine and execute what ever function I need to do (Reload, malfunction clearance,etc) And make good solid hits on my targets at the drop of a hat in any condition (Light /low light, rain, snow,etc).

I try to mix up my Solo training with group training with like minded shooters (which I am VERY fortunate to know a great group of guys I can do this with ...You know who you are as well..)

For me the name of the game is quality vs. high rd counts. Practice the fundamental drills to ingrain consistency.

As One very wise Instructor always say's "Practice does not make perfect... Practice makes permanent..."

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I made this up awhile ago on the recommendation of a couple competitors.
    This is a form, don't know how to copy the form here showing the lines, etc.

The "X" drill basically is you going from a small or large target to a large or small target twice. (like a 3" to 8" to a 3" and an 8", one example)

I'm not one for writing things down, but the two that showed me this keep a book.

Mark

SHOOTER - DATE-
    LOCATION- WEATHER-
    COMMENTS:

DRAW, ONE SHOT DISTANCE - TARGET -
    #1- #2- #3- #4- #5-
    #6- #7- #8- #9- #10-
    COMMENTS:

BILL DRILL DISTANCE - TARGET -
    #1- #2- #3- #4- #5-
    COMMENTS:

RELOAD DRILL (DRAW, 1 SHOT, RELOAD, 1 SHOT
    DISTANCE - TARGET -
    #1- #2- #3- #4- #5-
    COMMENTS:

X DRILL DISTANCE - TARGET (S) -
    SHOOTING ORDER -
    #1- #2- #3- #4- #5-
    COMMENTS:
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    If you want a really good dry fire package of well written information I would suggest you go to Bruce Gray's site and download his "Dry Fire Package" for free. Bruce is one of the best communicators of shooting technique out there.

Here's the link: http://www.grayguns.com/Grayguns_Dry...ety_packet.zip

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Larry Vickers says it in his classes; shooting pistols is hard, rifles and carbines are easy. So mastering pistol trigger control is one of the keys to shooting a carbine well. He talks about how he's seen guys who are all kinds of awesome with a rifle turn into a soup sandwich when the pistols come out. But very rarely does he see someone who shoots a pistol well that can't shoot a rifle well.

Thus, dry fire (at least at my house) is all done with a pistol. Rifles only get broken out to practice manipulations (reloads, malf clearance).
    Last edited by Jay Cunningham; 07-11-08 at 19:59.
    Principles matter.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

Target selection

Are you using a solid rest from a bench or are you going prone? What size are the targets that you are shooting at? When going for accracy (you know who you are), I like to use target paster squares. They are about 1'' in size and make a nice little point of aim. Aim small, shoot small. Try that out. You can also use index cards. 3x5's have just about replaced the standard bullseye target for me. If you can keep shots on either a 5x8 at 50 off hand or 3x5 at 25 off hand you are doing ok.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chris914 View Post
    Are you using a solid rest from a bench or are you going prone? What size are the targets that you are shooting at? When going for accracy (you know who you are), I like to use target paster squares. They are about 1'' in size and make a nice little point of aim. Aim small, shoot small. Try that out. You can also use index cards. 3x5's have just about replaced the standard bullseye target for me. If you can keep shots on either a 5x8 at 50 off hand or 3x5 at 25 off hand you are doing ok.
    I don't have a rest per-se, but was shooting supported off the bench using a ten round mag so that my gun was rested by my VFG and pistol grip. Not exactly rested, but I'd expect better accuracy than what I got.

I will try using smaller targets next time, as well as keeping my mags at 5 rounds and going for accuracy.

Feedback Score
    A good trigger squeeze drill is to insert your cleaning rod into the end of your muzzel, leave it sticking out a coulple of inches, set a dime on top of the rod and practice trigger squeeze. If the dime falls off then continue until the dime does not fall off. Very simple, but is better if you have a friend set the dime on each time. Remember, be sure your weapon is cleared and always treat your weapon as if it is loaded during dry fire. This exersice works well for breathing too, your trigger pull should come at you natural pause between breaths.

Feedback Score

Shot timers

One piece of gear that I was told by more than a couple of folks at the recent Vickers Carbine course is I must buy a shot timer to get anything productive out the drills. This makes sense. I am looking for one that does not require a six week correnspondence course to figure out all of the buttons. Also want something small enough that I can carry it around the range nad use it without it getting in my way. I liked the one Larry had, but I think it is a bit too large for carrying on one and doing drills. Last but not least, needs to be loud enough for detection with non-electronic hearing pro on.

Several models were mentioned at the end of the class, but I was so whipped that I forgot what they were.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    I have a CED8000. It's the blue one that folds sorta like a flip-phone.
    It's OK.
    It's small and handy, but I notice that I have never seen them in use by anyone who is good, or at any match, so that may say something.

I just wanted something to give me a random start signal, and I could check my time now and then.
    I have found it pretty useful for things like:
    -comparing how long it takes to change mags compared to pulling the backup,
    -trying different methods of doing something (like weak handed draws),
    -seeing if I really shoot faster with Gun A than Gun B, or does it just seem thatw ay,
    etc.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here is what I use..

It's simple and has only a few buttons, and has a large LE display.

I can wear it on my belt and look down at my time after a drill..

I see this model of timer more often then any other when I go to shoot in local USPSA/IDPA type shoots...

Simple,rugged,reliable..Nice loud buzzer and easy to read display.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast