Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Drills

Feedback Score

Cool Box Drill

Gents,
    I have to admit i made the same mistake after taking Hac's and Lav's class that when Pat Rogers introduced his Box drill I looked at him like, what? It's that a failure to stop drill? I have to say both are good drills that emphasize two different skills. Hac's will stress shooting and moving, Pat's is good for target transitions. Best part of Pat's drill is when you shoot it strong hand only with a carbine and see how heavy your AR really is! While Hac's/Lav's drill will remind you that chewing bubble gum and walking is a learned skills, lol, later.
    -Zef M.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    By "treat" Mr. Vickers means "Drill most likely to humiliate you".

Everybody looks like a stud going forward....but getting people to walk backwards while making accurate shots around a series of obstacles....that's tough. On more than one occasion I've just about ended up on my a$$ while doing a drill like that. You have to learn to process a whole lot of information at once and keep a lot of things straight to be able to do it well....

It's even worse in the dark. I think the majority of our time on the short bus in the low light class was doing the box drills and the figure 8 drills (weaving in between two obstacles in a pattern that makes a figure 8) in the dark.

ToddG Guest
    Word of advice for folks who want to try this out with new(er) shooters for the first time:

The standard way of defining the four corners is to use 55g drums or their plastic equivalent. Be sure to weigh them down a bit so they won't fall over if someone bumps into them.

Better yet, to avoid someone backing into a barrel, tripping, and testing his ability to keep his finger off the trigger and muzzle downrange unexpectedly, I suggest using either word planks or at the very least police tape strung from corner to corner. This way, the shooter will have visual and tactile feedback if he starts to intersect one of those crazy malicious barrels.

Feedback Score
    a fun variation on this drill, have a friend/teammate yell "transition" (to pistol) makes it alittle more fun.

once you make it to the corrner switch back to your rifle (or when you run dry)

movement, precision, and practice transitions on the move.. just more fun to be had...

also if you still have anything left in your mag, that mag gets left in your gun (or put back in) on your next turn.. just more fun, count your rounds if you can.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Range Training/Practice sessions

I was thinking about some of the best ways to get the "best bang for your buck" at the range. I realize there are several types of qualifications types of runs you can go through. I've seen Mr. Hackathorn's IDPA classifier with the M4, seems like a great "practice" session. However it is only 90 rounds, and I'm guessing it would take just a few minutes to accomplish. I'm looking for ideas for pistol and carbine, conditions would be between 200-300 rounds, and have approximately 1 hour at the range. I would like to get a wide variety of drills. This is for nothing formal of course, just looking to put together several different range training sessions. I think it is important to go to the range with a plan, that will challenge you, and let you work on useful skills other than standing square and shooting rounds at a target. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My opinion is that courses are test and not training, drills designed to address specific manipulations are training.

One thing I've learned is the use of targets that give you some measurable feedback. The various Bullseye targets are good for this.

Break down the core things you need to perform.

Stance(standing, kneeling, prone + other abstract ones)
    Grip
    sight alignment
    sight picture (sight management)
    trigger control (be nice and don't spank it like a wild pony!)
    breathing (dependant on system and shot difficulty)
    follow through (primary threat/scan for others/team mates, etc. weapons check)

If you want to get deeper, there are sub categories for some of the above(listed).

Once you understand the above dry, start working on live fire. Untimed accuracy to begin with at various distances, two handed, strong hand only, weak hand only.(not getting into sillyness such as off hand, support hand reaction hand, etc, I see all as a term to describe the hand which isn't the dominate)

ready positions
    multiple shots/targets
    malfunctions
    reloads
    draws
    positions
    shoot on the move
    mover if available
    timed runs

Don't introduce the time into it until you have worked out the bugs on the movements. Do them right and then worry about the time, speed will come later.

That's a start I guess. When you can keep them in the target slow fire, start working on timed.

Just a start, hope it helps!
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 05-13-08 at 17:13. Reason: .
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    mark5pt56,

I understand what you are saying. I'm talking about drills shooters perform after they have the basic fundamentals of shooting or quality initial training. I'm not talking about discarding the basics though. What I was trying to get at was, as a hypothetical (which also describes myself). I'm a guy that has attended a few training classes, carbine and pistol, and I want to continue to develop and refine my skills. What are drills that "you all" perform to get a "valuable" training session. Maybe I read you response wrong, just wanting some ideas to go to the range and get a good "workout" of skills, so to speak. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    However it is only 90 rounds, and I'm guessing it would take just a few minutes to accomplish. I'm looking for ideas for pistol and carbine, conditions would be between 200-300 rounds, and have approximately 1 hour at the range.
    Honestly, I think 200-300 rounds in an hour range session is way too much.

400 rounds in an 8 hour range session is quite reasonable. Remember, quality over quantity.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Blake, No worries. This is for the benefit of other readers. Also, without knowing you, I don't know your level.

The fundementals are something alot of people over look. Let's look at it this way, when you go to the gym, do you "warm up" with at least two sets of a light weight that allows you to prepare your body parts for the main session, which is in increments? This also allows you to check your form and make adjustments if necessary to insure you are doing it right so you can continue to progress with more difficult sets. If you don't, you risk injury because you aren't prepared to go further.

Same thing with shooting, the "injury" you would suffer is consciously "programing" your long term memory with bad input and performing that scar when it will cost you.

TheKatar is right, for an hour, I don't have a set number of rounds. That may be dependent on what drills you do and time for set up, review, etc. Make every round count, mainly because each time you do something, you are programming your subconscious(quality, quality qaulity) You know when you've reached the point when you are not mentally aware enough to do it right. I know you've had those classes/sessions when you get done and are mentally drained. By yourself, you are getting more repitition quicker and will reach that point sooner.

I would say if you are pressed for time, narrow your focus on the number of manipulation drill you want to work on.

A quick sample warm up

Set up a target at a distance that will make you use your sights(example-3" dot at 10 yards)
    Dry fire 10-20 times
    Come from a ready the same number of times and dry fire
    Draw and dry fire.
    Shoot 5-10 rounds slow untimed from 2 hands, SHO, WHO
    (when slow fire, don't shoot a set with 10 shots, shoot 10 sets with one shot--but still follow through)
    Now do the same from a ready under time.

Maybe that's all you got to today.
    Next time, maybe work on draws and reloads.
    Repeat warm up
    Now do some one shot draws
    Now add another target for multiple shots
    Now add slide lock reload.

Keep adding to what you do and record times, scores from targets, etc to track progress.

Try to use your imagination and tailor your drills to your needs. I would recommend that you draw from different disciplines to address what you want to do.

Let's say you want to start IPSC, using those targets at varying distances with hard cover, no shoots etc would be more appropriate to practice on to help you know what you need to see with your sights to make the required shots.

I stress the fundemental because so many people either forget or think it's beneath them to constantly review them.

Concerning Test or courses, do them cold if you can to get a more accurate measure of your abilities under various conditions.

Mark
    Last edited by mark5pt56; 05-13-08 at 19:58. Reason: .
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Basically I was on the seat of knowledge (the crapper), when I started thinking about 3 or 4 different range sessions (not limited to those, just something for the tool box) you could have to run through different fundamentals. I have taken a LAV class in the past, and he highly recommends shooting on the move should be incorporated in to your training sessions, but I know it is easy to get in the mode of static fire inside the "comfort zone". I would agree that could be a lot of rounds, but if you dump a 3 or 4 full mags of 5.56, you are at the 100 mark. I wasn't looking for something to ensure a high round count, but to incorporate several different skills in a session.

I was also thinking about how smart warm-ups are. I've read about mixed arguments about starting slow and moving on to tougher drills. Of course the argument against starting slow are there are no warm-ups in a gunfight. I don't know that I have the experience to have an opinion on the matter.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast