Thread: Eagle Discreet Case (SBR29) LE – SON OF Eagle CAR-15-LE

Feedback Score

Eagle Discreet Case (SBR29) LE – SON OF Eagle CAR-15-LE

Eagle Discreet Case SBR29-LE aka SON OF Eagle CAR-15-LE:

When looking for a discreet case for my folding stock AK’s, I naturally looked at the Eagle line of cases since I have been very pleased with their CAR-15-LE case, which was reviewed here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11229

My requirements were unchanged, and only needed a durable and practical case to hold my rifle(s), preferably made in the USA; I was not looking for a case covered in molle and accessory pouches as I usually have some duffle or range bag for my ancillary gear.

Exterior View:

Purchased the case once again from Steve at Triad Tactical (always seems to have what I need in stock). Color options were either Khaki or Black. Exterior of case has a generously sized patch of velcro for any patches you may have.

Side Compartment/Resident Rifle #1:

The outer/side compartment is adequately sized to fit a Krink, with magazine and folded stock without issue. After suffering an episode of Black Rifle Disease, Scattergungivitis, and 1911 JBrowninfarction, I just recovered from AKcinoma. However, I was left with another AK rifle to deal with.

Main Compartment/Resident Rifle #2:

As you can see, a full size AK (16”ish and slant brake) with folded stock and magazine fits easily. Note, unlike the earlier version, the new LE line of discreet cases do not have the magazine pouches in the main compartment.

Will a SBR AR fit in this case?

Before anyone asks, the answer is not with my SBR, a 10.5”, with a Noveske KX3, Aimpoint Comp M4, LMT SOPMOD and PR-4 sling mount (i.e. stock not collapsed all the way down). If I had a standard A2 flash hider and removed the PR-4, it may be possible, but cannot say for sure

Side Compartment/Magazine Pouches:

While I do not plan on carrying any magazines in the pouches, 3 flavors of 7.62 x 39 magazines fit comfortably. Note, the SBR29 case does NOT have the additional loops sewn into the accessory compartment (flanking the pouches) like you find in the CAR-15-LE case.

SBR29-LE versus CAR-15-LE:

Picture is pretty self-explanatory. Big brother on bottom, in ranger green. Junior above in khaki.

Another quality made in the USA product by Eagle!
    Last edited by flyfishdave; 07-12-08 at 12:38. Reason: detail

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good review, ant thanks for reminding me to order one.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For clarification on this case. It will fit a SBR that has an overall length of 29" or less. I designed it for a 10.5" gun with Vltor Stock.

If you start bolting on the KX3 and PR-4 (which I use as well) you are adding length to the gun and isn't keeping in the idea of a short gun, which was the total idea behind the SBR case. So if you use these items and need a case then go with the full size case.

I hope that helps.

Stay safe.

Ben

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Dave, would you say that the main compartment on your SBR case is the same size as the front compartment on your bigger case? In other words, if a rifle will fit in the front pocket of the bigger case, will it fit in the smaller case?

Feedback Score
    Rob,

The side compartment of the CAR-15-LE (larger, ranger green) case is about 1" longer than the main compartment of the SBR29-LE (smaller, khaki). This is based on the EXTERIOR edge to edge dimension.

My 10.5 AR, SOPMOD, KX3, PR-4 which measure exactly 29.5" (with stock collapsed, against PR-4) just barely fits into the CAR-15-LE side pocket.

The main compartment of BOTH cases has a strip of padding running along the zipper, while the side compartment does not; when I attempt to put my SBR in the SBR29-LE main compartment, which on the exterior is only 1" shorter, does not fit at all as you lose a little inner length to the padding.

If your rifle fits into the side compartment of the CAR-15-LE case with some room to spare, it should fit into the the main compartment of the SBR29-LE case. If it just barely fits, like in my case, I don't think you will have any luck in the main compartment of the SBR29 case.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you need more dimensional information.

Dave.

Feedback Score
    good review.thanks.

Feedback Score
    Great show-and-tell review. This remark you made:
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishdave
    After suffering an episode of Black Rifle Disease, Scattergungivitis, and 1911 JBrowninfarction, I just recovered from AKcinoma.
    Love the "medical" verbage!

By the way, do you know the interior length of the CAR-15LE? It was trying to find that on Eagle Industries' online site but could not find it.

Feedback Score

Approximate Dimensions

...okay, some measurements...

ALL dimensions are of interior space

CAR-15-LE
    Main - 34" x 12.75"
    Side - 29.5" x 11.5"

SBR29-LE
    Main - 28.25" x 12.5"
    Side - 25" x 11"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishdave View Post
    ...okay, some measurements...

ALL dimensions are of interior space

CAR-15-LE
    Main - 34" x 12.75"
    Side - 29.5" x 11.5"

SBR29-LE
    Main - 28.25" x 12.5"
    Side - 25" x 11"
    Cool and Thanks! Looks like I'm SOLD on the Eagle CAR-15LE. . .