Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros & Cons of Midlength or 20" vs Carbine?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LH2 View Post
    Okay, I think a mid-length makes the most sense for a general purpose carbine.

What about these:

CMMG

Sabre Defence

Is SLR15's Classic available mid-length? The Classic 16" level 2 looks like a good value.
    I used to be a huge fan of CMMG until I had problems with my 16" Middy due to a tight chamber. CMMG's customer service is excellent though as they have offered to remedy the problem until is is resolved satisfactory; either case, I ended up with a 12.5" Noveske and didn't even think twice about it.
    "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night..."

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Okay, I think a mid-length makes the most sense for a general purpose carbine.

What about these:

CMMG

Sabre Defence

Is SLR15's Classic available mid-length? The Classic 16" level 2 looks like a good value.

If I had to choose of those, it would be the Sabre. With that said, you are leaving out the very best 16" middy barrel on the market (Noveske N4).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    If I had to choose of those, it would be the Sabre. With that said, you are leaving out the very best 16" middy barrel on the market (Noveske N4).

C4
    Grant, is this available as a complete rifle? How do I go about getting this and keeping a budget in mine if possible.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Grant, is this available as a complete rifle? How do I go about getting this and keeping a budget in mine if possible.
    I would not buy this a complete weapon so that you can save the 11%.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    yep, if you get the upper and lowers separately, FET does not apply. The only thing you miss out on is getting the little maltese cross stamped across the upper and lower. Small price to pay unless you think it's worth the 130+ dollars you save to have it.

Grant, would one have to place separate orders on different days to avoid FET?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by spamsammich View Post
    yep, if you get the upper and lowers separately, FET does not apply. The only thing you miss out on is getting the little maltese cross stamped across the upper and lower. Small price to pay unless you think it's worth the 130+ dollars you save to have it.

Grant, would one have to place separate orders on different days to avoid FET?
    Yes, that would be easiest.

C4

Feedback Score
    I have done a lot of target shooting at the range with my 16" xm15-e2s. I have a Redfield ESD that does not offer any magnification and I have it sighted in at 50 yards. This was a lot of fun and challenging for the first few thousand rounds, however as I wanted more and more precision I moved up to a 20" varmint bull rifle with 10x scope and target knobs.

Now my bushmaster has little purpose other than waiting for shtf day. Since it is CQ rifle it is not as suitable for small varmint hunting.

If you are going to do precision shooting or small game hunting I would go with a 20", if you want a plinking gun that is still dang accurate or a shtf gun the 16" is a good choice.

If I ever need a quick defense gun it will be a shotgun, If I were going to be in some type of prolonged combat I will be staying so far out of sight I will need a rifle with the most range possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12