Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Concealed Carry in the Era of Terror

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Well maybe not the head specifically, and more like walk up to them. Once you've passed them, that's where the line is drawn. But yeah, I've heard it many times as part of assaulting an objective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well that's a LOAC violation if I ever heard one....
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    Well that's a LOAC violation if I ever heard one....
    Does everyone else normally shoot until the guy drops and that's it? Couldn't he still be a very viable threat on the ground?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Does everyone else normally shoot until the guy drops and that's it? Couldn't he still be a very viable threat on the ground?
    Well, this is a topic that is very debatable....

If there is any activity that can be taken as not giving up, for example moving for cover or trying to recover a dropped weapon etc., then he can be said to still be a combatant.
    A Norwegian officer (mech inf platoon leader) was cleared after an investigation to determine if he had violated the LOAC when he shot a wounded insurgent from the hatch of his CV90.

The insurgent was in a compound building that had been engaged by 30mm from the CV90's. He was seriously injured. As the CV90's were rolling through the enemy position, the platoon leader spotted the insurgent in a doorway. He was armed, and was moving away from the doorway. The PL engaged him with his HK416, and killed him.

The charge was that the insurgent was injured, and as such he was granted protection via the Hague and Geneva Convention. The PL, and other "witnesses" maintained that he was actively trying to hide, as opposed to properly signalling that he was injured and in fact out of the fight.

Another example where it will be difficult to place blame is during an assault on an enemy position, for example a trench system with bunkers and such. If you throw grenades and then proceed to enter the trench or bunker and engage enemies, you are not breaking the LOAC if they happened to be injured from the grenade blast. It is understood that surrender should happen well before an assault takes place.

Both of these, however, are markedly different than approaching a seemingly fallen enemy and anchor shooting him in the head. If they are alive and wounded, secure them and leave them for medics trailing the assault force. If dead, remove weapons etc and continue on. A good way to dead check someone is to poke them in the eye with the muzzle of you rifle - you'll definitely get a reaction if they are still alive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, this is a topic that is very debatable....

If there is any activity that can be taken as not giving up, for example moving for cover or trying to recover a dropped weapon etc., then he can be said to still be a combatant.
    A Norwegian officer (mech inf platoon leader) was cleared after an investigation to determine if he had violated the LOAC when he shot a wounded insurgent from the hatch of his CV90.

The insurgent was in a compound building that had been engaged by 30mm from the CV90's. He was seriously injured. As the CV90's were rolling through the enemy position, the platoon leader spotted the insurgent in a doorway. He was armed, and was moving away from the doorway. The PL engaged him with his HK416, and killed him.

The charge was that the insurgent was injured, and as such he was granted protection via the Hague and Geneva Convention. The PL, and other "witnesses" maintained that he was actively trying to hide, as opposed to properly signalling that he was injured and in fact out of the fight.

Another example where it will be difficult to place blame is during an assault on an enemy position, for example a trench system with bunkers and such. If you throw grenades and then proceed to enter the trench or bunker and engage enemies, you are not breaking the LOAC if they happened to be injured from the grenade blast. It is understood that surrender should happen well before an assault takes place.

Both of these, however, are markedly different than approaching a seemingly fallen enemy and anchor shooting him in the head. If they are alive and wounded, secure them and leave them for medics trailing the assault force. If dead, remove weapons etc and continue on. A good way to dead check someone is to poke them in the eye with the muzzle of you rifle - you'll definitely get a reaction if they are still alive.
    How does this work in a setting where explosive vest are not unheard of?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    How does this work in a setting where explosive vest are not unheard of?
    Then you have to apply C-IED principles (Counter-Improvised Explosive Device).
    If that is a threat in the AO, or a likely TPP, then you will have to adapt your actions accordingly, in order to minimize the risk from those threats.

Dead-checking the guy wearing a vest is not guarantee that it won't go off. One TTP is for handlers to observe, and remote detonate if the suicide bomber chickens out.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Fair points on everything - I do know that being told that often spurred questions with similar responses. I probably should have been more clear that it wasn't a 100% of the time and without question kind of thing. In trying not to thread jack too much more, the following is also something that I've heard quite a bit, in favor of a knee to the balls or similar.

A good way to dead check someone is to poke them in the eye with the muzzle of you rifle - you'll definitely get a reaction if they are still alive.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hadn't had the chance to list them, but those are some of the methods I was talking about.

In the end, I think that if one stays calm, applys some common sense, and relys on one's training; he or she will survive the situation.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    And also very important fill all hollow points with bacon grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567