Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best scope for under $500?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cheap

I agree, the Bushnell Trophy MP is a knockoff wanna-be ACOG. It uses an illiuminated "T" reticule, which simply looks like a center dot, with a line at 3, 6, and 9 o'clock - not touching the center dot. The one I looked at (which was mounted on a Bushmaster M4-style rifle, was brand new (a friend of mine bought it), and the reticle was canted! It can switch between green and red reticules, both of them were slightly canted, about 1.5 - 2 degrees low on left side. We then read some reviews on Midway, and seen that several other people complained about this... granted, this shouldn't be a factor when shooting at distances the optic is designed for (below 100 yds), but over that, a canted scope can really throw off a shot. IMO, it's worth $140 - and may be fine for a Hesse/Vulcan, Oly, or other plinker rifle - but it's no combat sight.
    I guess I'm the only one in the house that votes for the Burris XTR 1-4... light, 30mm tube, exceptional glass, and a killer reticle.. what more could you want?
    I had a lot of time to get used to the ACOG in the Army, and for a SDM or general battle rifle, I think the Burris outperforms the ACOG/s in almost every area except for raw durability... ACOG's are TOUGH! A buddy of mine actually dropped his M4 down a flight of steel stairs, and his issued ACOG had a couple scratches - that's it, didn't lose zero or malfunction in any way... I don't know if the Burris could stand up to that - but for almost $500 less, it's plenty tough enough I gather... Have you checked out the Millet DMS-1? It's a 1-4x like the Burris, and a LOT cheaper, it just doesn't have as nice of a reticle as the Burris' does... it has a "dot in a donut" deal.. and if the batteries run out, the reticle is still visible (black) - so that's a plus! Just food for thought...
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Does anyone know the straight scoop about the Burris XTR illumination? Is it bright enough for full sun and dim enough for low light/night use?
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The brightness level is adjustable... so low light conditions can be as bright or as dim as you like... and as far as using it in sunlight... I don't really know why anyone would need it, but I'm sure on it's highest setting, it should be noticeable... I don't have an XTR 1-4 yet, but on my XTR 3-12x50 (which has a different reticle than XTR 14) it is noticeable in sunlight.
    I should have the Burris XTR 14 purchased by mid-August at the latest, and can post a review if people would enjoy it - it will be mounted on a S&W M&P15T and tested with handloads (69gr. SMK and 70gr. VLD) out to 550 yds... and can also compare it against my friend's ACOG TA01NSN, which he has mounted on a Colt 6920 w/ FF quadrail HG.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    just because an illuminated reticle is adjustable does not mean it will go low enough for very low light conditions or bright enough to be a good CQB optic. Many IR optics do not do well in one or both of those areas. My question was posed for someone with XTR 1-4 experience.

anyone?
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    I know what you mean...
    I bought a Meopta Kdot 1-4 and it was way to bright to be used in very, very low light or night time hunting applications

I have not tried the xtr, but have a Euro Diamond 1.5-6 and it's dot can't really be seen in the day time, or is barely visible, at night it's perfect for hunting..

a bushnell 4200 1.25-4 wasn't really bright enough for day time use and at night the center dot had a bit of bloom, it was better with a 1.5v vs a 3v battery

I went with an ACOG TA33 because it does all light conditions well

Feedback Score
    I am very happy with my Sightron 1.5 to 6 very clear even at 20 feet

Feedback Score

nikon monarch

Quote Originally Posted by ballsout View Post
    Wondering what the best scope I could find for under $500. I would love to find an ACOG but I don't think I could find one in my price range. Any ideas for red dot or magnification?
    if i were you i would get a Nikon Monarch 4-16X42mm w/BDC reticle, it is one of the nicest scopes i have ever used. the scope is extremely clear and the BDC reticle works really good.

-Michael

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ar-15 fanatic View Post
    if i were you i would get a Nikon Monarch 4-16X42mm w/BDC reticle, it is one of the nicest scopes i have ever used. the scope is extremely clear and the BDC reticle works really good.

-Michael
    I was going to recommend that scope as well - I have on with a Mil-Dot reticle for a Remington M700 26" .308 (my M40 lookalike), and it's by far, the BEST 1" scope I've ever had. It's crystal clear, even at 16X, has side focus parallax, which is the best thing since sliced bread, and has never lost it's zero, even when mounted on my brother's Armalite AR30 in .338 Lapua Mag. Right now, it's on my S&W M&P15T for handload development. You can get one here, for a KILLER deal, cheapest I've EVER seen them: http://www.opticsbestbuy.com/Nikon-M...-16x42-SF.html .... I had to pay almost $600 for mine, although I bought mine with target turret option on Midway, about 5 years ago or so. I personally like the mil-dot reticle, but a lot of people, especially hunters, are talking a lot about the Nikon BDC reticle... I just think wind doping is easier with a tradition mil-dot.

Feedback Score
    how would you guys compare the optical clarity of the Nikon Monarch to that of the Trijicon Accupoint?

i see the scope body features "enhanced mount ring spacing". is it compatible with LaRue SPR 1" mounts?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you've owned or used one, you'd know.
    Number one, of course the Accupoint will be a tiny bit better, because they only come with a maximum magnification of 10x if I'm not mistaken, and the OP is asking about scopes under $500, which pretty much takes all Accupoints out of the game, MSRP is $700 - $950.
    Dollar for dollar, bang for the buck, the Monarch is at the top of the heap IMHO.
    @ballsout - What power range of scope are you wanting?? You mentioned a red dot - which is not really a "scope" at all... a red dot has either 1x or 2x magnification, 90% of them are 1x, meaning no magnification. If that's what you want, then I think you should look into Aimpoint's products. You can get a great optic for under $500. Under that, Burris makes a nice one, the XTS 135, for around $200, here. I'd stay away from companies like Tasco, Barska, BSA, Simmons, Tru Glo, and Bushnell.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast