Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best scope for under $500?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    If you've owned or used one, you'd know.
    obviously I dont know, or i wouldn't be asking. trust me, i usually don't have a clue, so please throw me a bone

I own an Accupoint TR21. i have a TR20-2 mil-dot on back-order. i have never used the Nikon, but on paper it is looking pretty good right now. I'm starting to have second thoughts about the TR20-2. thanks a lot for pointing out this scope, because it seems like a winner

on the rifle i want to equip with this scope illumination isn't really required. the extra magnification on the Nikon would be nice. Saving about $150 with the Monarch wouldn't hurt either.

so yeah, i'm sorry if it seemed like i was thread jacking, that wasn't my intent. just trying to find out more about the optic that you suggested, because i think i really want to buy one.

do you know if that model of Monarch is GTG with a LaRue SPR-1.5 mount with 1" rings? if it is compatible i will cancel my backorder on the TR20-2 and go with the Monarch. if it wont work with the mount then that would be a deal breaker.

i know it will probably work with the LT mount....just the blurb about 'improved ring spacing' made me want to double check with someone who "has owned or used one" because they'd know

Feedback Score
    I have had a few monarchs and they get my recommendation all the time for a great scope without spending a lot of money.
    the scopes costing 2-3 times as much (and I have a few) are in all honesty NOT 2-3 times "better"
    a bit better resolution in very low light situations, in broad daylight or even near dusk there's not THAT much difference....

Feedback Score

Thumbs up

tks for your take on the Monarch guys.

you guys have made me revise my plans!!! i was going to get another Accupoint, but I'll try out a Monarch instead.

i think for my application it will be the better choice.

thanks

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great. I don't think there would be any problem at all with that LaRue mount at all. The Monarch 4-16x42mm isn't "huge" so you shouldn't need any special or "ultra high" rings or mounts. When I put mine on my M4, I use a JP QD mount. It fits perfect, and has about .25" clearance from the objective end (big end) and top rail on my handguard.
    I think the 4-16x power is perfect for an all around precision rifle scope, anything higher than 18x is usually unusable in extreme range situations, because if you don't spend more than, say, $1200 on a scope, images over 18x are usually not sharp, and full of mirage, flare, and glare.. IMHO, scopes over 18x should be used for the target range or varmint hunting, I just don't think that they have a place in the combat world. The most common used "sniper scope" power is 3-12x, followed closely by 4-14/16x - I forgot where I read that, I'll try and dig the article up, it's a good read.
    Also, if you'd like them, this scope has Nikon's "interchangeable turret" system deal, and you can buy all kinds of turrets for the scope, even some calibrated for different calibers, etc. Mine came with target turrets, but I can't seem to find one right now that doesn't come with the standard ones (which would probably be plenty sufficient on an M16/M4).
    Hope you enjoy it!
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Damascus-

It looks good so far! Going to zero it tomorrow, but first impressions: its a very nice piece of glass for the price. More than I expected, honestly. Works with the LT mount fine.

As long as it holds zero, has accurate adjustments and doesn't break, I'll be a happy camper. But it comes with a very good warranty, so I'm not worried.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great! I'm sure that you'll be very pleased with that unit. I remember the day I first took mine to the 800 yd. range here - I was happier than a puppy with two peters! lol.
    Yea, the warranties are great, and Nikon's customer service is top notch. I had to send in a scope a few years ago, a 3-9x50 Buckmaster or something, because it had been left outside of the tent on a hunting trip and was exposed to temps below -15, and somehow condensation appeared on the inside of the glass. Now, this was a cheaper scope, as I remember at the time I bought it from wal-mart for like $140 back in 99', but Nikon returned my scope, good as new (might even have been a new one) within 18 days of the day I mailed it. That's not bad at all!
    Are you sticking with the regular turrets, or are you going to "accessorize and customize"?
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jess_su View Post
    The Bushnell Trophy 1x32 ($140) is similar to an ACOG and well priced. However, I don't have any experience with them.

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 10x40 ($170) on my varmint rifle and I really enjoy it.

They also have a Bushnell 3200 5-15x40 just like the 10x40 but variable. It goes for about $350 but I have seen it for $300
    That is nothing close to an ACOG.. its a red dot ACOG clone...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Damascus View Post
    Are you sticking with the regular turrets, or are you going to "accessorize and customize"?

took it to the range for the first time today. very nice optic. the adjustments were right on the money. i didn't have any POI shifting either.

i like the factory turrets, i see no reason to change.

little gun pr0n...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If I were a smart a$$, I'd say "I told you so!" lol, but I'm not a s-a, so I'm just happy you took the advice, and got yourself a great optic for a lot less money than you would've spent on an optic that good from another company (and NO, I don't work for Nikon LOL). When I buy a rifle, I always try to stick with 3 companies: Burris, Nikon, and Leupold.
    I'm glad you are happy with it, and I'm sure it will serve you for many years to come!
    (BTW, I'd invest in a sunshade and some target turrets if you're wanting this for a tactical precision rifle). Take care!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123