Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smith& Wesson Shield troubles.

Feedback Score
    keep us updated on it, it's a cool little gun, even my new stupid ca version (the gun is almost to small for all the warning labels and 'safety' devices).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My educated guess is that the problem is the ammo--in addition to cleaning/lubing. My experience with Lawman ammo has not been good. I put it in the Walmart white box category that works ok most of the time in the bigger service pistols. Your Shield is a specialty weapon with all the peculiarities of sub compact pistols.

Clean the chamber most thoroughly. Do the same for the breech face and area under the extractor and leave the chamber free of oil.
    I suggest that you disassemble and clean the magazines. Next run a couple mags of +P ammo through it. I think that you will be pleased.

Feedback Score
    This is virtually the same problem i had with my Shield. It did NOT matter what state the weapon was in ( Clean, dirty, or lubricated) or the type of ammunition used. It would not run.

It took 3 trips to S&W for a fix (for now).

They eventually replaced the extractor, spring and recoil assembly.

We will see what the future holds for this weapon. Currently 500 rounds without any FTF or FTE's. But ejection is still VERY erratic .
    Last edited by Dr Dues; 09-12-15 at 07:17. Reason: wrong info

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just bought a Shield in 9 mm. It's jammed on me one time, the very first round I loaded, LOL. The round took a nose dive into the feed ramp and kinda did a reverse stove pipe, but no problems since, I have notice it seems to eject the brass in the same location consistently and that is odd as all I have run through it are mixed head stamp hand loads. Also very accurate with very little recoil. More trigger time will tell me more.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So when I start shooting this again, about how often should it be re-cleaned and lubed during the "test"? I guess I don't have a clear idea of what to expect as this is pretty much the first handgun that I've put a real "round count" through in the last ten years that wasn't a Gen 3 Glock (I'm actually not much of a pistol guy, my long gun collection is pretty diverse but my handguns are fewer in number and mostly serve utilitarian functions.) I want to make sure i'm not hampering things by having unrealistic expectations.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 04-19-15 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Welcome to the club dude:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ATED-12-20-14)

Some S&W M&P Shields are just lemons. Smith can't even fix them it seems. My theory is there is a design weakness having to do something with extractor leverage that only rears its head when exacerbated by tolerance stacking. Mine and others have nasty FTE where the extractor claw jumps the case rim leaving an empty round mostly in the chamber with the slide jamming a new round up under it, locking everything up; no tap rack bang will fix it, you have to force the mag out then clear the empty shell from the chamber. My Shield never made it to carry duty. 'Hoping the G43 will be better.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That sucks that this seems to be an issue with some of them. the Shield also gets a lot of good press too though, which is how I ended up deciding to buy one in the first place. I'm going to reserve judgement on mine for now because it sounds likely that the issues I had may have been user generated. We'll see how it does this week.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Welcome to the club dude:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...ATED-12-20-14)

Some S&W M&P Shields are just lemons. Smith can't even fix them it seems. My theory is there is a design weakness having to do something with extractor leverage that only rears its head when exacerbated by tolerance stacking. Mine and others have nasty FTE where the extractor claw jumps the case rim leaving an empty round mostly in the chamber with the slide jamming a new round up under it, locking everything up; no tap rack bang will fix it, you have to force the mag out then clear the empty shell from the chamber. My Shield never made it to carry duty. 'Hoping the G43 will be better.
    I had the same problem with mine. S&W no fixee either.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    So when I start shooting this again, about how often should it be re-cleaned and lubed during the "test"? I guess I don't have a clear idea of what to expect as this is pretty much the first handgun that I've put a real "round count" through in the last ten years that wasn't a Gen 3 Glock (I'm actually not much of a pistol guy, my long gun collection is pretty diverse but my handguns are fewer in number and mostly serve utilitarian functions.) I want to make sure I'm not hampering things by having unrealistic expectations.
    I guess my question for you is....what are the parameters for your "test", what are you trying to test?

Personally I don't intentionally run any gun dry. I usually shoot 100-200 rounds per range session and usually clean & lube them as per the user's manual after every range session even though they're probably designed to run many hundreds of rounds before needing cleaned.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    After shooting, disassemble/field strip, wipe down and re-lube. reassemble and repeat.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast