Thread: What is it called

Feedback Score

What is it called

What do you call the part of the action or barrel where the bolt lugs secure the round into the chamber.

in an AR its in the barrel extension. In a bolt gun it is in the action itself.

what is the correct terminology

Feedback Score
    What is the question? I think you answered it: barrel extension.

The bolt locks into the barrel extension. Or is that not what your asking?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-14-15 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    breech?

*MY line in the sand has long been drawn.
    And in today's world... it's sobering to look what ground is left in front of it*
    ---------------------------------------
    But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; - Ephesians 5:3

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Locking lugs

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    What do you call the part of the action or barrel where the bolt lugs secure the round into the chamber.

in an AR its in the barrel extension. In a bolt gun it is in the action itself.

what is the correct terminology
    Both terms are correct.

In the AR, M249, Johnson, M60, MG-42, etc, the locking logs are in a separate part screwed directly to the barrel, in this case that part with the locking lugs is usually called the barrel extension, as it is a part of a detachable barrel assembly and separate from the receiver.

In bolt action rifles, the M1, M14, AK, etc, the locking lugs are parts of the receiver or action. And these barrels are generally not designed to be easily removed.

In some weapons the barrel is detachable, but does not have an extension, and the locking lugs are parts of the receiver. These have either close tolerancing of the receiver/barrel interface, or some means to adjust the headspace (relatively) easily. Examples of these are most shotguns with removable barrels, the M2 HB, The M240, etc...
    Last edited by lysander; 05-15-15 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Small correction: The locking lugs are part of the bolt. The receiver/barrel extension has locking lug recess(es).

The area where the locking lugs luck into the locking lug recess is the breech.

More trivia: The FAL receiver uses a locking lug shoulder
    Last edited by MistWolf; 05-15-15 at 18:24.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Small correction: The locking lugs are part of the bolt. The receiver/barrel extension has locking lug recess(es).

The area where the locking lugs luck into the locking lug recess is the breech.

More trivia: The FAL receiver uses a locking lug shoulder

that is the answer that I was looking for. Locking Lug recess! Thanks

I wonder if any barrels have the locking lug recesses milled into them? Probably would be a nightmare getting the headspace right.

Just thinking about a threaded barrel in an AR receiver without the barrel extension but instead the locking lug recess milled into the breach of the barrel.

Of course you would have to cut the feed ramps and finish ream the chamber after the barrel was installed. You could probably set the headspace with the finish reamer. Isn't that what they do with bolt guns.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    that is the answer that I was looking for. Locking Lug recess! Thanks

I wonder if any barrels have the locking lug recesses milled into them? Probably would be a nightmare getting the headspace right.

Just thinking about a threaded barrel in an AR receiver without the barrel extension but instead the locking lug recess milled into the breach of the barrel.

Of course you would have to cut the feed ramps and finish ream the chamber after the barrel was installed. You could probably set the headspace with the finish reamer. Isn't that what they do with bolt guns.
    What benefit would this offer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    What benefit would this offer?
    No benefit whatsoever if you are using a rifle in its intended form for its intended purpose.

but if you want to hang a 26" 5.5# barrel on the front of the receiver, load 6mm cartridges that are considerably longer than 2.26 in length and the shoot accurately at 600 to 1000 yrds I think it could be an advantage.

certainly not what the AR15 was created for!