Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine seam weld looks crappy ---- need your input

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Magazine seam weld looks crappy ---- need your input

Is this an issue, or am I overthinking it:

Of the 24 Brownells Mags I ordered, 22 look like this. They all function and shoot fine, but I'm worried about structural integrity. Issue, or not? **click to enlarge photo**

mag1.jpg

What do you guys think??

EDIT ---

Just chatted with them, this is what I was told:

Me: "What is happening is the front seam is not lying flat.
    At the curved portion of the mag, it doesn't sit flush against the mag body"

Brownell's Rep: "Ok, that is very common right at the bend in the mag body It wont' effect structure at all. What happens is when they're getting plug welded right at that seam, the outer piece of metal shrinks just a hair, and leaves that tiny gap."

That make sense?
    Last edited by XD40Colorado; 04-19-15 at 11:24. Reason: Added photo..oops!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Some of my Brownells mags have weird stuff like this. But they never fail. If the mag fits in the gun right and runs, forget about it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Some of my Brownells mags have weird stuff like this. But they never fail. If the mag fits in the gun right and runs, forget about it.

Roger that.

Feedback Score
    I just checked several of my Brownells "pre-contract" commercial and current .mil issue magazines (no current commercial though).
    A few of them have this. If the issue ones with this passed Uncle's inspection criteria, I'd not worry.
    Retired USASOC WG-6610-10 smallarms inspector

Feedback Score
    If they work, they work.
    If you want more.....pay a little more....https://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_...follower/nhmtg

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Yeah I have bought my fair share of Brownells mags and while they will not win a beauty contest, I have yet to experience an issue with them. Just run the crap out of them, if you do enter a beauty contest hexmags or Magpul will fit the bill. I usually order the BCM aluminum mags when they have the 10 pack for sale.

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectDrive View Post
    If they work, they work.
    If you want more.....pay a little more....https://www.44mag.com/product/nhmtg_...follower/nhmtg
    +1 on the nhmtg mags,they always run great and at 11.99 whats not to like? I almost ordered 2 more today but instead ordered a vickers vcas padded sling,i hope their worth it iam tired of carrying my m4 around all the time.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I damaged a Brownells magazine during a fight as it was seated in the magwell of my patrol carbine, slung across my chest.

I kneed a suspect, with the magazine between us, so hard that it crushed the magazine and left me two scars on my right thigh that healed up nicely..... Through my uniform pants.

I actually still have the mag and, despite having the walls crushed against the round stack, it still works most of the time for range use.... And I'm confident it would have likely worked then should I have needed it.

I kneed that guy so hard, it would have exploded a polymer mag. That knee stroke put the guy in the hospital.

Brownells mags are good to go. I always get the magpul follower.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I damaged a Brownells magazine during a fight as it was seated in the magwell of my patrol carbine, slung across my chest.

I kneed a suspect, with the magazine between us, so hard that it crushed the magazine and left me two scars on my right thigh that healed up nicely..... Through my uniform pants.

I actually still have the mag and, despite having the walls crushed against the round stack, it still works most of the time for range use.... And I'm confident it would have likely worked then should I have needed it.

I kneed that guy so hard, it would have exploded a polymer mag. That knee stroke put the guy in the hospital.

Brownells mags are good to go. I always get the magpul follower.
    Wouldn't a quality polymer mag actually do better under those circumstance since it would flex? I doubt a Pmag would explode since they do better than aluminum mags when run over by cars.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Brownells look fugly, but damn they're tough. Took all 28 last night, loaded with 28 rounds of M193 each, and dropped from 6 feet high, 10 times each. Zero baseplate failures or feed-lip bending.

Then I took 3 random mags and laid them in my driveway. They actually survived being run over 3x, then backed over 3x, then driven over again, stopping with front tire on mag, and turning the wheel several times to grind into pavement. None of them died, all they fit and dropped free after the test.
    Last edited by XD40Colorado; 04-21-15 at 17:29.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast