Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best revolver for Chicken

Feedback Score

Best revolver for Chicken

I'm thinking of the barnyard variety, probably moving slowly.

Head/neck shots preferred.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Why don't you just ring the neck and save the ammo?

Feedback Score
    We always just strung them up on the clothes line and cut the heads off. I guess you're probably looking to avoid the chasing and catching the chicken part that has to come before that?
    I would think any .22 mag revolver would work out fine and dandy. I've found chickens to be pretty resilient creatures and I would honestly wonder if a .22lr would do the job unless it was a solid hit.

Feedback Score
    Ruger Single-Six, Single-Nine, or Single-Ten. If you do you're part they will put the bullet exactly where you aim.
    Tarasdad
    NRA Life Member (upgrading to Endowment Life)
    TSRA Life Member
    CRPA Member

Just call me "low speed, high drag"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tattoonick View Post
    We always just strung them up on the clothes line and cut the heads off. I guess you're probably looking to avoid the chasing and catching the chicken part that has to come before that?
    I would think any .22 mag revolver would work out fine and dandy. I've found chickens to be pretty resilient creatures and I would honestly wonder if a .22lr would do the job unless it was a solid hit.
    May I infer by the portion in bold that you don't think .22 bird shot is adequate for chicken?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    May I infer by the portion in bold that you don't think .22 bird shot is adequate for chicken?
    I wouldn't. I even have a couple sleeves of the CCI snake shot stuff, and personally, range is shit, and it is fine, something like #12 shot, I wouldn't use it for anything more than perhaps small mice and small snakes. I've hunted birds in the past that were chicken sized, and even #5 shot from a 20 gauge doesn't always count for a clean kill at reasonable ranges. Same for 12 gauge even. At the range that I would consider the .22lr with shot in it effective, I would rather just go to the solids. That said, I am curious as to the reason/need for a revolver to dispatch chicken.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarasdad View Post
    Ruger Single-Six, Single-Nine, or Single-Ten. If you do you're part they will put the bullet exactly where you aim.
    A Model 25 or a Super Blackhawk will too; and double the error tolerance. A good gallery load would be just right.

Feedback Score
    Any revolver in the world .22 short and up will work just fine.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Why do you need to ask a forum what 22 revolver is good for chicken? Any 22 revolver worth spending money on. It's not a defensive gun so why does it matter if it's just for chickens? Some basic critical thinking and simple reaserch into what revolvers aren't garbage would answer the question for you.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Why do you need to ask a forum what 22 revolver is good for chicken? Any 22 revolver worth spending money on. It's not a defensive gun so why does it matter if it's just for chickens? Some basic critical thinking and simple reaserch into what revolvers aren't garbage would answer the question for you.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    I never mentioned .22 in my original question. If you think there is a better caliber, I'm all ears...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast