Thread: custom rem. 700

Feedback Score

custom rem. 700

Well about a year ago I sent an old rem 700 .22 250 off to bartlein barrels to have the action trued and rebarreled to .308

I picked a #3 contour because I wanted to keep the rifle light for hunting.

Ordered a McMillian edge stock again to keep it light.

and of course a Jewell trigger

about a month ago I finally got the last part in. The barreled action from bartlein.

Put it together. Rifle complete weighs 6# 9 oz. I was hoping for less that 7 so I am happy. Put a Leupold VX-6 2X12 on it. Now it weighs just under 8#

used some store bought match ammo for break in. Shot pretty good. I was just shooting and cleaning and getting it rough sighted in. Didn't really shoot any groups.

Work really gets in the way plus I was relocating.

I loaded up 25 168 gr match kings with different loads of varget.

best one with one flyer.

20150418_125214_resized.jpg

I really want to use the berger hunting VLD. Loaded them to mag length and was very disappointed. I knew that they like to be in the lands but that turns your rifle into a single shot. Did a little reading and found that they say they will jump. I was skeptical. but I loaded up 168gr berger VLD's from in the lands (used the hornady overall length gage) and backed off .05 each 5 round group for 20 rounds total as described in berger's reloading manual. Now I was skeptical to say the least. Didn't really expect much so didn't try to be that precise with my reloads or shooting.

In the lands measured 2.873. Certainly not mag length

20150420_163858_resized.jpg

pretty much as expected.

2.823 was about 1.5" group

then 2.773 which is certainly mag length

20150420_163836_resized.jpg

I believe that will work for my deer rifle. As the gun breaks in and I keep working on my load development things may improve

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Out of curiosity, are you using the HVRT Jewell and what pull weight do you have it set to (rough guess if you don't know for sure is fine)?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you using the HVRT Jewell and what pull weight do you have it set to (rough guess if you don't know for sure is fine)?
    yeap HVRT set to 2# since this is really a hunting gun and not a bench rest piece.

I have a Geissele ssa-e in my precision AR. Frankly I like the single stage jewell much better. Could be that I grew up shooting single stage triggers.

That jewell breaks like glass with absolutely no creep.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    good stuff,

i have had a Jewell BR trigger and a Kelbly trigger for years, they are just tops. I recently picked up an HVRT Jewell for a project I am working on and it seems to be right in line with the quality I have come to expect.

I have toyed with the idea of trying out the Hunters Edge (what I assume you got) and I hope you keep us updated on how the rifle performs!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masan View Post
    good stuff,

i have had a Jewell BR trigger and a Kelbly trigger for years, they are just tops. I recently picked up an HVRT Jewell for a project I am working on and it seems to be right in line with the quality I have come to expect.

I have toyed with the idea of trying out the Hunters Edge (what I assume you got) and I hope you keep us updated on how the rifle performs!
    Actually the hunters edge would not accommodate the bartlein #3 contour. When I called McMillian they told me they could build any of their stocks with the edge technology. They recommended the standard Remington stock with edge technology. I took them at their word. They said that the stock would weigh 22 oz and when I weighed it they were dead on.

The really remarkable thing to me was their inletting was perfect. Everyone's barrel contours are a little different. I gave them the specs on the bartlein #3 contour and when that barreled action dropped in it was perfect. I ordered a Holland trigger guard that is notched for the jewel trigger safety. The inletting was perfect. I have done nothing but drop in the barreled action and torque the action screws. Pillar bedding works!

Next step is to see if that group is repeatable and to chronograph that load. Its really a mild load. 42.6 gr of RL-15.