Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best 10/22 Receiver?

Feedback Score

Best 10/22 Receiver?

Hey all,

Any input as to the best 10/22 receiver to start a project with? I've heard mixed reviews about the TaxSol receiver. Any others to consider?

A rear cleaning rod hole and built in top rail would awesome.

Or should I stick to stripping my old receiver, drilling a rear cleaning rod hole, nickle boroning it, then adding a top rail separately?

Thanks!
    Invest in tangible goods. Beans, bullets, band-aids, family. These items are what will count in the near future. Remember that your 401k, brokerage account, etc. are nothing but numbers on a screen. Think about it. Numbers. On. A. Screen.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've built several 10-22's, all from Ruger receivers of various vintages I found online or at the LGS...best deal I got was a receiver from 1992 for $50. In assembling it, the only problem I had was that after stripping the krinkle paint, I found that they use krinkle paint because there are a LOT of visible tool and machine marks. Took some work with 600-1500 grit sandpaper, but I have a beautiful mirror finish. Some people go for CeraKote. The top was already drilled for mounting a 0-MOA rail (had no barrel droop), so I just mounted one. The receiver itself on my current rifle, despite its age performs perfectly and is absolutely the only Ruger part on it. With the Kidd bolt/recoil assy, charging handle, the thing cycles like a sewing machine, is utterly reliable, and shooting SV CCI is by far the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I didn't consider drilling a rear cleaning hole since I'm pretty casual about that stuff...a bore snake works great for me. Didn't even consider any kind of other treatment or coating...don't know if it matters. NiB? Interesting. Not sure about the bang-for-buck.

Having said that, my experience with Kidd has been exceptional and it is likely the first place, probably only place, I'd go if I was looking for a non-Ruger 10-22 reciever. http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Afte...odel_p_18.html
    Last edited by Hmac; 04-21-15 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input! The NiBor is primarly for corrosion resistance.
    Invest in tangible goods. Beans, bullets, band-aids, family. These items are what will count in the near future. Remember that your 401k, brokerage account, etc. are nothing but numbers on a screen. Think about it. Numbers. On. A. Screen.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I agree with Hmac on everything by KIDD. I have a complete rifle I assembled from all KIDD parts and it looks great and shoots very well. Another nice feature the KIDD receivers have are the pre-machined counter sink for his receiver "pins" and the availability for the rear anchor. You will not be disappointed.

KIDD parts include;
    lightweight 16" barrel
    single stage trigger
    scalloped bolt
    receiver
    receiver pins and bolt buffer
    bolt handle

Stock is a Titan1022, another component I highly recommend.
    Scope is an SWFA 12x42 with mil quad reticle

Feedback Score
    Nice build! Kidd seems to be the choice for top shelf parts. Are they better than Volquartsen stuff?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    I prefer KIDD parts to VQ and I think VQ is priced a bit high. I did a great deal of reading over at Rimfirecentral and KIDD is recommended by the members there like BCM is here. The parts just work. KIDD also has semi-frequent sales that can save you a little more too.

I did see that Fedderson is getting ready to release a receiver too. One more option can't hurt.

I also have an economy build using a Ruger receiver, and Ruger bolt/trigger group/barrel worked over by Randy at CPC (Connecticut precision chambering). Both guns shoot great, but the KIDD parts have a much nicer fit and finish.

It just depends on how far you want to go.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Was thinking about CST Titan-22 receiver. Neat features: hole in the receiver to clean barrel, open bolt on last shot, 20 MOA railing, etc.

http://cstmtech.com/coming-soon-titan-22-reciever-1

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    +1 to Bananaphone. Exact same. My 10/22 even the same except different can. Kidd works, and works well. Priced very competitive.

If you have a receiver... it's just cast aluminum, I'd also say NiB might not be worth the cost, unless you just like shiny things then by all means plate away.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I agree… Kidd versus VQ. My current rifle in the picture above has a VQ trigger group. It is absolutely excellent. However, it cost more than twice as much as the Kidd trigger upgrade kit that I put on my previous 1022 and gave to my son, and it is not even the slightest bit better.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    platoonDaddy,

I looked at the titan 22 receiver and it looks nearly identical to the KIDD receiver with the exception of the small tab at the back. You will likely have to inlet your stock to get that to fit. I am sure it is meant at a second anchoring point, just more work to fit a stock. It looks like the Titan receiver only adds the last round bolt hold open (at a very high cost I see). It looks innovative but unnecessary, to me.

The KIDD receivers have the cleaning hole in the back and the option to add a rear tang for added support in the stock, your choice of MOA on the rail (0/10/20) and a lower price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast