Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon RMR alternative mounting: offset and piggyback options

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)

Trijicon RMR alternative mounting: offset and piggyback options

I've been considering mounting a Trijicon RMR to my rifle which currently has a TA31 4x ACOG. There are a few options for mounting the RMR to my ACOG or offset mounts/combos. Can we post a few pictures and examples here for comparison and discussion? I want to decide what setup would be best.
    Thanks!

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    All of the pictures of it mounted on top won't change the fact you will have to take your head off of the stock to use it. Offset it.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    All of the pictures of it mounted on top won't change the fact you will have to take your head off of the stock to use it. Offset it.
    And that's it's where pictures and links will help. The options for offset mounting aren't as clear cut.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't have an ACOG, but I use this with a standard scope: http://soldiersystems.net/2010/12/31...-sight-system/

Pic of it with an ACOG from the Soldier Systems blog (same link as above to credit Eric at Soldier Systems):

You can buy it from LMT for a lot more, but from STAT International, it is $168 with all of the adapter mounts for basically all MRDS (Insight, Trijicon, Docter, Leupold, JPoint, etc.) and the Aimpoint Micro. It is rugged, but also very light weight, and the RTZ (within around 1 MOA, which for my MRDS is within the area of the dot at 3 MOA) is pretty decent for such a compact mount. I am using it with an Insight MRDS and it is fast and handy for short distance when you're on 21X on the scope. An added benefit is that you can take the adapter mounts and use them with other bases that are for the Insight MRDS (basically the same as the Docter, Jpoint or Tasco Optima) and you have a huge amount of versatility from the kit.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by interfan View Post
    I don't have an ACOG, but I use this with a standard scope: http://soldiersystems.net/2010/12/31...-sight-system/

Pic of it with an ACOG from the Soldier Systems blog (same link as above to credit Eric at Soldier Systems):

You can buy it from LMT for a lot more, but from STAT International, it is $168 with all of the adapter mounts for basically all MRDS (Insight, Trijicon, Docter, Leupold, JPoint, etc.) and the Aimpoint Micro. It is rugged, but also very light weight, and the RTZ (within around 1 MOA, which for my MRDS is within the area of the dot at 3 MOA) is pretty decent for such a compact mount. I am using it with an Insight MRDS and it is fast and handy for short distance when you're on 21X on the scope. An added benefit is that you can take the adapter mounts and use them with other bases that are for the Insight MRDS (basically the same as the Docter, Jpoint or Tasco Optima) and you have a huge amount of versatility from the kit.
    THAT is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I sent an email to get info on how to bu y it. My only concern is that my weaponlight is mounted on the same side that the RMR would be. It's in a LaRue angle mount, and is low profile, but it might partially block the already small fov.
    Last edited by masakari; 05-05-15 at 04:15.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Good looking rifle! Quick question and I have not shot with an rmr in an offset mount so excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong...

If you run the rmr in an offset mount, doesn't the acog or optic of choice impede your vision as you transition to the rmr?

I mean just as your light might be directly in line with your rmr, your primary optic would be directly in line with your left eye.

With the rmr, I shoot both eyes open as I do with my acog but with offset irons, I'd be closing my left eye so with offset irons, this would not be an issue...

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GO_ALLOUT View Post
    Good looking rifle! Quick question and I have not shot with an rmr in an offset mount so excuse my ignorance if I'm wrong...

If you run the rmr in an offset mount, doesn't the acog or optic of choice impede your vision as you transition to the rmr?

I mean just as your light might be directly in line with your rmr, your primary optic would be directly in line with your left eye.

With the rmr, I shoot both eyes open as I do with my acog but with offset irons, I'd be closing my left eye so with offset irons, this would not be an issue...

Thoughts?
    No, the rmr is not impeded by the primary optic, nor is the primary impeded by the rmr. They are on different planes and the latest crop of MRDS are tiny and weigh nothing. It is actually something that is pretty easy to do with both eyes open. You just practice the transition (slightly rotating the gun around 30-45 degrees-ish depending on the mount) a bit and it becomes automatic for your eyes not to focus on where they shouldn't. It is tougher to transition to a piggy-back mini red dot than offset. I ran a piggy-back Tasco Optima on a scope ring for years and really hated it, but that is what was all that was available when I got it (early 2000s). You can't help but pull yourself out of position to find your dot, and then have to get back into proper posture for the primary optic. That is very slow and is way too much movement, then repositioning. Doing it from prone quickly is like doing a yoga class. With an offset MRDS, it takes a tiny amount of time and the position changes are very economical and then it is very fast back on the primary. There's some videos around of 3 gunners doing it and you can see how quick it can be.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Gotavhya...i was thinking more of the primary optic being in your line of site for your left eye...not the rmr and primary optic being in each others way.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by interfan View Post

Any idea how to get a hold of them? their email listed isn't working for me.
    LMT's price is definitely hard to stomach

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I just clicked on the "Buy Now" button and it came up with a paypal purchase link. I don't know why, but they didn't seem to respond to email, but with paypal there is some risk mitigation. They shipped the next day by USPS priority and it got to me in three days. I have purchased two. One back in November of 2013 and the other in January. Both times it was the same drill.
    Last edited by interfan; 05-06-15 at 17:00. Reason: buy now, not purchase

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast