Thread: 11.5" Mishmash Build

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

11.5" Mishmash Build

The idea with this build was a quality compact, light and capable rifle at a reasonable price. All components were picked up either used on sale/discount of one kind or another.

Upper:
    Noveske Upper Receiver
    11.5" Daniel Defense Lightweight CHF Barrel
    BCM Gas Block
    AAC Blackout Flash Hider
    Aimpoint M4S, in an ADM SOCOM height mount
    Magpul MBUS Pro Offset Front and Rear sights
    Sunwayman V20C sitting in a Vltor QD Off-Set Scout Mount (uses an ADM QD lever)
    BCM Bolt Carrier, with Fail Zero bolt (I had it spare, so figured I'd test it out). The BCM bolt is my backup (stored in pistol grip along with spare firing pin, gas rings, extractor and extractor pin and cotter pin).
    Rainer Raptor Charging Handle
    Noveske NSR-11 Rail (I love this thing)
    Magpul RSA Sling Mount
    Midwest Industries KeyMod HandStop Panel

Lower:
    Aero Precision Lower Receiver (Gen 1, no frills)
    ALG Defense ACT
    BCM Gunfighter Grip
    Magpul CTR Stock
    Magpul ASAP End Plate
    Daniel Defense Lower Parts Kit
    Magpul MOE Trigger Guard
    LMT Mil-SpecBuffer Tube
    Slash's (HeavyBuffers.com) XH 8.5 oz Buffer
    Wolff XP Spring

So far, so good.
    Feel free to chime in with any thoughts/criticisms/suggestions/etc.
    Last edited by Benito; 04-23-15 at 05:02.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    What was your reasoning for going with offset irons when an RDS cowitnesses well with standard irons? I normally see offset irons in conjunction with a scope that does not cowitness with irons. Your RDS also has a QD mount, so getting it out of the way if damaged or completely occluded would take just a couple of seconds -- time you'd need anyway to flip up your irons if they normally ride flat on your rifle.

Thanks!
    Scout Rider for the Mongol Hordes

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by caporider View Post
    What was your reasoning for going with offset irons when an RDS cowitnesses well with standard irons? I normally see offset irons in conjunction with a scope that does not cowitness with irons. Your RDS also has a QD mount, so getting it out of the way if damaged or completely occluded would take just a couple of seconds -- time you'd need anyway to flip up your irons if they normally ride flat on your rifle.

Thanks!
    Good question.
    I initially got offset folding irons (also Magpul MBUS PRO offsets) for my scoped ARs, and had the polymer Magpul MBUS sights on this one. I liked the Magpul offsets so much, I decided to get a set for this one as well, under the following line of thinking:
    i) Consistency (not just for sights, but they are all set up in the same manner, aside from barrel length and optic)
    ii) "just in case" of optics fogging up. If my M4s fogs up, using co-witnessed irons through it would be a no-go. Removing it would be an extraneous step, versus just canting the rifle over.
    iii) Bad-ass operator status. (okay, just kidding... sort of)

If I am using the rifle in a situation where time is critical, I would flip the sights up from the get-go. The folding feature is nice to have for storage and transportation purposes.