Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: STI 1911s...are these a definite "no-go?"

Feedback Score
    I own an STI Trojan 5.0 1911 9mm. It shoots better than any of other 12 handguns I own, including a German Sig Sauer P228 and a Springfield Armory TRP. Nearly 1000 rounds through it with no malfunctions, no small feat with a 9mm 1911. STI does it right. Mine runs best with Springfield/Metalform 9mm magazines and is a laser. Honestly, it's phenomenally easy to shoot, with practically no recoil. It runs on ball bearings. I ordered from Brazos Custom and was totally satisfied with my experience.

Buy STI with confidence.

Feedback Score
    I may have my model confused, but isn't the Trojan made overseas, while all of the other models are made in Texas?
    In Hoc Signo Vinces

"The nine most terrifying words in the english language are 'I'm from the Government and I'm here to help'." Ronald Reagan

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    That's the Spartan. The Trojan has a cast frame and is all made in USA.

I think the Lawman and some of the other ones may have a forged frame, but I'm not sure. They're all built the same.

Feedback Score
    No, sir. All STIs are made in-house in TX with the exception of Spartan frames/slides, which are manufactured in the Philipines but are fitted with STI parts when they arrive in TX. Aside from the Spartan, all STI models are made here in the good ol' USA. Superb company with a superb reputation and customer service.

Feedback Score
    Yes...the Spartan is a gussied up Rock Island from what I can gather.

The Lawman 5" is the only one I am considering.

I still have not ruled out just grabbing a new 70 Series Govt Colt and calling it good. The new Series 70s are pretty and old school cool!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All you could possibly want to know about STI's.

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    As others have said STI is gtg. If their styling pleases you then by all means pick one up. A Dan Wesson is several steps ahead of the Colt or STI, IMO, however.
    "The only defense against violent evil people are good people who are more skilled at violence" - Rory Miller

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Yes...the Spartan is a gussied up Rock Island from what I can gather.

The Lawman 5" is the only one I am considering.

I still have not ruled out just grabbing a new 70 Series Govt Colt and calling it good. The new Series 70s are pretty and old school cool!
    I would go with a 70 or 80 basic Colt over an STI every day. Keep it as-is, or build it into a tasteful looking pistol.

Feedback Score
    I had an STI Ranger 2 in .45 that ran and ran. Very easy to shoot fast and well. It did have a ramped bull barrel and STI's recoil master spring set up. I'm not a big pistol tuner by any stretch but it was just a little to proprietary for me, that and I just stopped shooting .45 due to cost so I sold it. The plunger tube came loose and since I lived just down the road from STI I brought it in for repair. STI was pleasant to deal with even with a 2nd hand pistol, no questions asked.

Feedback Score
    Yeah...I made the mistake of handling one of the new Colt 70 Series re-make Govt Models in a gun store recently. The one I played with was stainless too.

That thing is dead sexy...old school cool but in stainless unlike the original 70 Series guns.

Both of my other 1911s are early 70 Series Colts (a 1976 Govt and 1973 Combat Commander) so I am a bit biased towards 70 Series Ponies!

The 5" 70 Series stainless Govt. Model is totally in the running...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast