Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: STI 1911s...are these a definite "no-go?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brickboy240 View Post
    Yeah...I made the mistake of handling one of the new Colt 70 Series re-make Govt Models in a gun store recently. The one I played with was stainless too.

That thing is dead sexy...old school cool but in stainless unlike the original 70 Series guns.

Both of my other 1911s are early 70 Series Colts (a 1976 Govt and 1973 Combat Commander) so I am a bit biased towards 70 Series Ponies!

The 5" 70 Series stainless Govt. Model is totally in the running...
    In late 2013 I picked up a new blued Colt .38 Super Auto for no other reason than I always wanted one. I liked the old school cool and I've kept it that way. Only mods: 10-8 National Match style rear sight, fits in the original dove tail. Dawson Precision red FO front, cross dovetail. Modest beveling of the sharp edges and black ceracote. DP extended mag release, "IDPA" length. The rest is stock Colt.

Feedback Score
    IMO, STI makes an excellent 1911 and has had excellent customer service. I've even owned their 5" Spartan (their only foreign made 1911) in 45 acp and it was an outstanding shooter. If you search, you'll find that it is a very popular 1911 among competitive shooters.

Feedback Score
    I had a suspicion that maybe they were just low capacity manufacturers and that was why I really never see them.

Even though my other 1911s are Colts, the idea of buying a 1911 that has the state of TX on the slide and was made here is appealing.

After looking into pricing on STI pistols at one of their recommended dealers, I might opt for the 5" Lawman blued version.

This is good to know but I had to ask because maybe there was some reason I did not know, why these were rarely seen. Looking at them on the website - they sure seem like quality made guns. Maybe the poor man's Les Baer or Wilson! LOL

...and yes Brazos is the distributor I am thinking of buying from
    Go a couple of IDPA matches and you'll see more than you can shake a stick at.

Feedback Score
    I have an STI Spartan. It is IMHO one of the best values out there. It is accurate reliable and came from the factory with an action that felt like greased glass. I also own an original Colt Series 70 that is a fine, solid gun. The Spartan has a few more desirable features for my taste but both are guns to go to war with.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The only one I owned was a gift from my girlfriend (now my wife, she's a keeper) it was a two tone Ranger 2. A commander type with bull barrel. The finish on the frame near the trigger guard had an obvious imperfection. Like a bubble that formed in the paint. A person with one eye could see it from 20ft so I don't know how it made it to the next step on the assembly line lol. Add to the fact it couldn't digest a box with out a malfunction and I sent it back for a refinish and tuning. It came back without anyone touching the frame and it still wouldn't run. I've never sold a gift but I had to, even told the guy it needed some tuning. Just the fact that I sent it back and it came back with the same obvious problem, I'll never buy one, ever. They don't have the attention to detail that commands the seperation of myself from my hard earned cash.
    Industry T&E

Feedback Score
    I am going to buy myself a new 1911 for my 50th birthday in October this year and have started searching for what I want. This is not going to be a everyday carry gun or a competition gun but a "just because" gun that will be carried openly on the family ranch and shot every now and then. My budget is not to exceed 1500 bucks.

Since they came out..I have always lusted after a new Series 70 Colt re-make, probably a stainless one. I have also borrowed a buddy's DW Valor enough times to know that too is in the running. Still...the new/old Colt is a classic and really rings my bell since i already own 3 older Colt 1911s (that are Series 70 guns).

Being here in Texas, I always thought it would be cool to own a 1911 that was made here. I have looked over STI's website many times but I almost never see their guns in local stores and know nobody that owns one. They sure look nice and the written reviews on them are usually glowing (for what that is worth) and I would love to have a Texas made 1911 with the state of TX on the slide. It just seems odd that I don't see these in our local stores and don't see others shooting them at our ranges. The one I was interested in was their Trojan or Lawman 5" models - all are well within my price range.

Ok, so I tried to search STI 1911s here but very....very little came up at all. Apparently, very few here own or shoot them. This tends to throw up a huge red flag in my putting them in the running against the Colt 70 or DW Valor.

So does anyone here own an STI 1911? Are they like the Kimbers or the XD - a pistol that has little to no love here for valid reasons?

Is there some glaring reason (that I am not seeing) to stay away from STI 1911s? My gut says get the Colt Series 70 Govt. and call it good.

I just thought I'd ask, since these guns look good but it seems few here own them.

Thanks in advance for the opinions (..or possible warnings).

-brickboy240
    STI is geared towards the competitive shooter. Go to any USPSA match and in the Limited and Open divisions, the vast majority of guns will be STI 2011s.

Feedback Score
    They might indeed be geared towards the competitive shooter but they sure offer tons of "carry" or "duty" 1911.

Still...I rarely see a thread about their carry/duty guns and was just wondering if they were like the XD and sort of a "no-go" 1911 that I should skip.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123