Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First shots with my KAC SR15 MOD2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    I think you're giving the SR-15 more credit than is due. I have a Mod 2 upper as well, and while it's a nice feeling system, it's not noticeably nicer than my tuned BCM middy.

I think your "lack of recoil" experience can be more attributed to your muzzle brake than the intermediate gas system.

When I got my Mod 2 I put it on an A5 buffer system equipped lower and played with buffer weights and springs (milspec spring and springco green, A5H1-A5H3 buffers) till I found what kept the gun the flattest and softest. I then compared it side by side with my BCM middy gun that runs a springco green and A5H3. Both rifles have 16" barrels and both have Griffin Flash Comps on them. The difference between them was very slight such that you wouldn't notice the difference unless you were specifically thinking about it. I can't imagine the stock setup with milspec carbine spring and CAR buffer would be any better.

That said, I agree with you that it's an excellent handling rifle (only my LW rifles handle better).
    You're missing half the rifle. The complete system is where the magic happens.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

-C S Lewis

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter37 View Post
    I find that the lack of recoil is directly attributed to the gas system. Mine has an A2 flash hider and it shoots like a dream
    Same here. Mine shoots extremely soft. Only modification is the charging handle and I updated my rail to the URX4.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The gas system on the SR15 mod1/mod2 makes it an incredibly soft shooting rifle out of the box. Adding the surefire break and you have a rifle that virtually won't move when being shot. My Mod 1 with a MAMS is amazing.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    I think you're giving the SR-15 more credit than is due. I have a Mod 2 upper as well, and while it's a nice feeling system, it's not noticeably nicer than my tuned BCM middy.

I think your "lack of recoil" experience can be more attributed to your muzzle brake than the intermediate gas system.

When I got my Mod 2 I put it on an A5 buffer system equipped lower and played with buffer weights and springs (milspec spring and springco green, A5H1-A5H3 buffers) till I found what kept the gun the flattest and softest. I then compared it side by side with my BCM middy gun that runs a springco green and A5H3. Both rifles have 16" barrels and both have Griffin Flash Comps on them. The difference between them was very slight such that you wouldn't notice the difference unless you were specifically thinking about it. I can't imagine the stock setup with milspec carbine spring and CAR buffer would be any better.

That said, I agree with you that it's an excellent handling rifle (only my LW rifles handle better).
    Not at all. I have had two SR-15s and tried a variety of brakes between the two, and it has been by far the smoothest and softest shooting rifle I've ever owned. I constantly am kicking myself for getting rid of them.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylinder Head View Post
    You're missing half the rifle. The complete system is where the magic happens.
    And what magic would that be? Short of some special RE/ buffer/spring combo (pretty sure it's carbine buffer and spring), the lower does nothing for recoil characteristics.

Feedback Score
    An SR15 with an A5 stock kit and an efficient muzzle device is pretty amazing. Add weak .223 ammo and it's like shooting an air rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    An SR15 with an A5 stock kit and an efficient muzzle device is pretty amazing. Add weak .223 ammo and it's like shooting an air rifle.
    Any problems with running weak .223 in an SR-15 with A5 setup? I heard to stay away from weak ammo for SR-15's, but at the same time this was from people that don't have the A5 set up in their SR-15's. Does the A5 add anymore reliability?

I know the SR-15 has a slightly elongated gas system, so I was unsure of how this would pair with the A5

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Any problems with running weak .223 in an SR-15 with A5 setup? I heard to stay away from weak ammo for SR-15's, but at the same time this was from people that don't have the A5 set up in their SR-15's. Does the A5 add anymore reliability?

I know the SR-15 has a slightly elongated gas system, so I was unsure of how this would pair with the A5
    I have put several mags of .223 through my SR-15A5 with no problem, but I haven't tried every flavor of .223 in it, though. Definitely try a few boxes before you make a large bulk purchase of .223 if that's your plan.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I shot some AE .223 through mine with no issues (worked with Springco Green and A5H3). I can try some MFS steel cased stuff next time I go out and post back.

I'll also try throwing it on a lower with milspec carbine action spring and CAR buffer, but I'm still skeptical it'll be any better than with the A5 setup and BCM middy + A5 combo...
    Last edited by Plasman; 04-28-15 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

I can't comment on running weak 223 through my SR15, but I can say, I swapped the upper to one of my A5 equipped lowers and tried every A5 buffer weight and noticed no difference from the stock buffer and spring. This was with 855 62 grn ammo.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast