Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First shots with my KAC SR15 MOD2

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasman View Post
    What about my preferred buffer system setups with the SR-15 upper makes you believe they're any less reliable than what the SR-15 comes with from the factory? I don't believe there's any reliability compromise with them at all over stock. Given that the scope of the discussion (going back) was about perceived smoothness and felt recoil with the intermediate gas system, bringing up reliability was outside of that, and indicated you saw an issue with the stated setups. Furthermore, pointing out how my success criteria came second to reliability and all that "hard use" talk also implies that there's a deficiency with the reliability as is.

I don't disagree with you on your buffer system to reliability relationships, but it was scope creep from the original discussion and thus implied you were pointing out a flaw with the original system. You may like the SR-15 for other attributes, but given the discussion was focused on the gas/buffer/recoil system, which you stated you change completely, it's not hard to question why you would bother starting from such an expensive system in the first place.
    The tests of MRBS and MRBF of a larger sample sizes would be the test of reliability between the factory SR-15 and your setup. It could be favorable, it may not be, it would need to be tested. To believe if there's a compromise or not, testing would need to be done. Perceived smoothness and felt recoil with the longer than normal gas system has been well documented. Reliability has also been well documented in other extended gas systems, noting that many have a reduced span of reliable operation. The KAC SR-15 16" guns are pretty reliable in that aspect, much more than others. Not pointing out factors other than reliability and durability before the smoothness, recoil, wobble, whatever implies preference over them. Serious use guns are just that, serious. Fun guns are also just that, fun. I don't knock anyone for either, I own both types. Alterations to a serious use gun have many implications, mainly things like reliability and durability for their intended use. I actually do believe there's a deficiency in reliability/ durability with almost any carbine action system when compared to the rifle action system or the rifle like A5 system. The carbine action system with an H2 is about as good as that system can do, the 3 ounce weighted buffer carbine system has known issues.
    The only real flaw, if you could call it that, is that it had a carbine buffered carbine action in the first place. Using an A5H2 system with an appropriate gas port has a much reduced variation in action velocities over a much wider span than the standard system.
    Last edited by tom12.7; 05-20-15 at 19:32.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234