Thread: Simple 16" Sionics/BCM/ALG/DD hodgepodge build.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Simple 16" Sionics/BCM/ALG/DD hodgepodge build.

Short Story-Build Specs are at very bottom of this post.

Long Story-I started this build with a stripped S&W lower way back around 2007/2008. It was around one of the election season rushes of people buying up components and guns, and I paid $175+tax for the stripped lower. (A couple months ago I laughed at myself as I saw Grant selling these same lowers at $99 each.) At the time I purchased this, I believe I already owned a M&P15, and I didn't honestly know a thing beyond that concerning building an AR from the technical stand point. I'm probably lucky I didn't have more money to waste back then. I do remember seeing people spend money on plain looking Colts and thinking "How wasteful, Brand XYZ comes with better features for less."

I sent the stripped lower plus a Colt 1911 to Mars Armament, with the lower being a back burner project. I took his suggestion on a LMT LPK, and added some state-of-the-art-as-I-knew-it back-then parts, such as the Vltor receiver extension(has the numbers on the top of the tube you can see through a standard stock), MOE grip, and later, a Magpul ASAP. Once we decided what I wanted, he had it assembled and on it's way to me in no time. Then it sat in a safe for a few years as I was busy with life in general.

Fast forward to 2014, and I had been paying close attention to this forum and following guys like IG, Grant, Trident, etc, for more than a year. Plus, I was injured, and had more time to sit around and think about completing the build. I noticed Sionics Weapon System from one of the threads here, and followed them for a while, asking questions and deciding that I would probably be best served for my interest with one of their barrels. The ALG EMR thread tuned me onto what would become the M-LOK EMR series of rails. An announcement from Grant showed me what makes the BCM current production upper receivers a good buy, and follow up with him led to me purchasing a BCM Micro-Slick BCG. The Aimpoint is a take off from my first AR, and I bought the DD Iron Sights at a random store on the way to some random place from some random place. I also added the K2 grip to replace the original MOE grip that was on the lower.

Goal-Build an enhanced personal version of the faithful Colt M4/6920. At this point, I'd gone from a M&P15 to a Colt 6920, and for my purposes, neither rifle had disapointed. I've carried a issued M4 enough to know I don't need picatinny rails, M203 cutouts, and can appreciate a longer handguard. I also ran the M&P15 for long enough to want any rifle I built to be properly gassed. This would be a simple general purpose carbine that takes advantage of some of today's simple but high quality components, built to cover everything from 3 Gun to farm use, four legged pest control and possibly 2 legged pest dissuasion should the need ever arise.

Sorry for the low quality pictures, I only have an iPhone 4 and it was overcast. Without further ado-

Attachment 33002Attachment 33003Attachment 33004Attachment 33005

And in honor of MOLON's excellent threads on ammo and accuracy, my very own mall ninja 25 yard 3-shot group from initial sight in. Top one must be a "flyer"-

Attachment 33001

Specs-
    LOWER
    -Stripped M&P15 Lower
    -LMT LPK and Vltor Receiver Extension installed by Mars Armament
    -Blue Sprinco Buffer Spring and H2 Buffer(too heavy for PMC Bronze, switched to standard spring)
    -Take off factory S&W M4 Stock
    -Magpul FDE K2 Grip
    -Magpul ASAP
    -Magpul Aluminum Trigger Guard
    UPPER
    -BCM BCM4 Upper Receiver
    -BCM Micro-Slick BCG
    -Mod 4 Gunfighter Charging Handle
    -13”ALG DDC M-LOK EMR and Front Sight Rail
    -Sionics Medium Contour/Mid-length Gas System Chrome Lined Barrel
    -BCM A2 Flash Hider and Crush Washer
    -Magpul polymer M-Lok Rail
    -Surefire X300
    -Daniel Defense Rail Mounted fixed Front and Rear Sights
    -Aimpoint CompC3(?) 2MOA in Lower 1/3 Co-Witness Mount
    OTHER
    -BFG Vickers Padded Sling
    -BFG Sling Buckle
    -Magpul QD Sling Swivel
    Last edited by opngrnd; 04-26-15 at 14:58. Reason: Tried to fix pictures.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I like it, good lookin rifle.