Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ares scr1 anyone have one?

Feedback Score

ares scr1 anyone have one?

Does anyone here have the ares scr1 rifle

Going to get one, did some searching not much about it, very little you tube videos
    I think it will make a great rifle option if ar type rifles get banned in the future

Ive read it doesnt come with a bolt hold open for some reason but you can buy one from the manufacture and drop that in, no shell deflector, forward assist and comes with 5 rd mag

And from the photo its only scope/red dot sight option unless you use your own upper
    but im going to get the complete rifle

Proprietary bolt carrier but normal ar type bolt , not so good trigger and looks like mag release is a little further to reach because the trigger is far back

It was either this or the keltec su16 but I figured maybe I could get more use out of changing uppers and also changing calibers quite easily get more options from one rifle
    and my drop in 22lr bolt will work with this also

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry dude but I hope I never have to own anything like that. Glad I live in a somewhat free state......

Feedback Score
    Im thinking ahead for bans in the future with this rifle

with how it looks, because we all know most laws come from the way something looks
    to the 5 rd mag, which normally I would never buy one of those
    I think it could be a good alternative, doesnt look to scary

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    There's no reason to think that the Ares SCR will beat some future ban that hasn't been written, because there's no reason to think it will be exempted. If it meets your needs for a state with a ban already extant, then fine, it's a good choice for that state, at that point in time. Otherwise, if you're buying it today in the hopes that it will be ok after some non-specified future ban, then you're like a guy saving old milk bottle caps in the hopes that they will be the next bitcoin in ten years' time. Waste of time and money. Buy a rifle that meets your needs today, IMHO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you get it please let us know how it handles (especially reaching the mag release). I've been intrigued by them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsideRook View Post
    There's no reason to think that the Ares SCR will beat some future ban that hasn't been written, because there's no reason to think it will be exempted. If it meets your needs for a state with a ban already extant, then fine, it's a good choice for that state, at that point in time. Otherwise, if you're buying it today in the hopes that it will be ok after some non-specified future ban, then you're like a guy saving old milk bottle caps in the hopes that they will be the next bitcoin in ten years' time. Waste of time and money. Buy a rifle that meets your needs today, IMHO.

Dont really need a rifle that meets my needs as of now, have plenty plus some of they types ive been looking at in the past are expensive now M1A as an example plus the accessories and ammo needed to run them

I do live in Ca which is a ban state but its not as bad as say new york, and I have been able to buy any rifle ive wanted to get, not saying that we can get whatever we want but what ive wanted I have that I could afford
    Used to be able to get almost any handgun in the past but now its a little harder, but all the ones I ever wanted I can still get right now

I have a ar's ,ak's and other types too no problems using them here, but for having to use 10rd mags on some setups because the way I have them configured
    I do have rifles that I can use whatever size mag I have too as they are configured differently

But to make an ar exempt from the magazine lock law means totally reconfiguring the way you can hold it and changes how you hold and use it just like the ares does

But for a rifle stock, and mag release a little farther then a normal ar which lets take into account other rifles where the mag release can be anywhere on it shouldnt be too big of a deal to learn how to use it
    not everything needs pistol grips to work properly, maybe just to look cool

I had been wanting to get a mini 14 years ago but they shot up in price like crazy here, which is why I was looking at the kel tec they stayed around the same prices over the years

Since I just learned of the ares I figured if I was to get a 223 rifle why not get one that uses ar mags since I have alot of those and of course how you can just swap out uppers to change calipers, or drop in my 22lr bolt
    far as I know mini 14, kel tec cant do that
    I also just learned you can buy just the ares lower too if you wanted to use your existing uppers so could save more not buying a complete rifle

I think in the future a ban could include removable magazines or go to smaller size mags, but since I already live in Ca I have plenty of mag locks laying around the type that permanently lock the mag in, and the type that takes a tool to pop out the mag
    so pretty much covered if it ever gets to non removable mag at least for the ar type rifle since its so easy to top load
    Would it be convienient probably not, but if thats my only way to shoot 223 I would rather have it and not need it and sit around in the safe

Plus its always good to have another rifle for someone to learn on when taking people out to shoot

as for the mag release, I dont run and gun nor do I flip out mags with my wrist and slam in new ones
    and dont plan on doing so I dont see an issue taking my hand off the grip and taking out the mag

remember im used to taking my hand off, searching for my mag lock tool to drop out a mag anyways so this will probably save me some steps

Since everything but the bolt carrier is based off the ordinary ar it should function just fine, and wont be hard to fix it probably all off the shelf parts for the upper

Lower probably has proprietary trigger but will have a look when I get it and from what I read the small bolt carrier is copied off auto shotguns so its not some new invention either
    Just hopefully no issues with cycling other brand uppers if you cant change out the buffer weight
    Another reason now I like the fact I got a complete rifle and not just the lower

Feedback Score
    Rifle came in today so I had a chance to look at it, fill out the paperwork

Ares also emailed me back about buying the bolt hold open for around $42 shipped
    little expensive but I ordered it just because im used to that

they also said they are working on a front sight option

Since I was looking at it I wanted to see if the handguard was the normal carbine type that just snaps in against the gas block, it looked like that type so I went ahead and ordered a quad rail from ebay like $20 shipped
    going to use that to temporarily mount a front sight until I see what they come up with

Also ordered hk416 front and rear sight as they look to sit a little lower, once those come in I will see how they work, and maybe use them on something else too not sure yet

im guessing some sort of clamp on sight for the barrel, I already have flip up sights so its not costing me too much for the quad rail just so I can have sights and not spend alot on optics yet until I decide how im going to use it

now the long wait until I can pick it up
    Last edited by Chunky_Lover; 03-12-15 at 23:15.

Feedback Score
    had to buy the bolt hold open, over $40
    but slips right in machined really nice

added quad rail so I can mount front sight

someone recommendedhttps://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetai...Lpa-Adj-Sights this brand it sits very low

sights seem to be the perfect height, although I had some mbus sights and could see well with them too
    but decided to use the cz ones

Feedback Score
    got to shoot it today finally
    functioned flawlessly
    tried every new mag I had just to see if it would work with them all and it did

maybe 100 rounds through it
    may be in my head but I swear it has no recoil
    could be the stock, how you hold it but really easy to shoot

only negative, the cz front sight
    the white bead is HUGE!!!!!!
    I literally cant see what im aiming at
    now I may drill out the rear sight hole touch larger because of this

one thing I noticed a few times putting my face up to the rifle I forgot to line up my eye with the rear sight
    almost instinctively I think I was setting my head up for ar height sights
    But I dont want to change them out now that its all zeroed in

Good news was my laser bore sight was like 2 clicks off when actually shooting it
    but I may have been off some because I could not see the paper targetI was aiming at
    thats fine with me im not expecting it to be super accurate
    When I got home checked all bolts on the hand guard and sights
    all were tight, so I dont think my cheap handguard will be an issue with keeping zero

got some short video clips I put together
    Last edited by Chunky_Lover; 05-07-15 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    The local gun shop had a complete lower for sale for a bit under $500.00. They take an Rem 870 shotgun stock so you can put a wood stock on it to be organic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast