Thread: Relavancy of 25yd precision in USPSA

Feedback Score

Relavancy of 25yd precision in USPSA

I've done a couple USPSA matches, plan on getting into a decent amount this year and being all in next year. If I want to be GOOD what should my accuracy goals be at a minimum? Should I be able to shoot a 95 on a B-8 on demand? 100?

Maybe a better question is: what are current B, A, and Master class shooters capable of with a production pistol, accuracy-wise (I'm shooting a stock M&P40).

Right now I'm shooting 4-5" groups easy at 25. Shrinking those down takes a LOT more time, and even then, it depends on the day how much smaller. Do I need a lot of work on accuracy or should I spend most of my training on speed and target transitions? Just looking for some insight and direction. Thanks guys.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Instead of working groups I'd try to shoot 2 A's @ 25y in under 2 seconds. Accuracy at speed is more in line with the game of USPSA than shooting really small groups without any time pressure. I think this is a common mistake were people think shooting small groups without any time pressure (though a valuable skill on it's own) correöates to getting good accurate hits in an USPSA match.

If you want to be good start ramping up your dry fire. How much dry fire are you doing right now? 30 minutes every day?

Get the the dry fire book and "skills & drills" both written by Ben Stoeger.
    Last edited by The_Swede; 04-26-15 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    Instead of working groups I'd try to shoot 2 A's @ 25y in under 2 seconds. Accuracy at speed is more in line with the game of USPSA than shooting really small groups without any time pressure. I think this is a common mistake were people think shooting small groups without any time pressure (though a valuable skill on it's own) correöates to getting good accurate hits in an USPSA match.

If you want to be good start ramping up your dry fire. How much dry fire are you doing right now? 30 minutes every day?

Get the the dry fire book and "skills & drills" both written by Ben Stoeger.
    About half that for dry fire. Thanks for the input and suggestions, I'll check into those books.

2a under 2 seconds, from draw or low ready?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 04-26-15 at 20:13.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think that's fairly good offhand accuracy. I would practice to do it as fast as you can.

And you are right about target transitions.....people lose a lot of time there. If you haven't, watch a GM on transitions, very eye opening.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    From the holster. 1.5 sec draw and a 0.5 split.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    From the holster. 1.5 sec draw and a 0.5 split.
    Awesome. Time to get working!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Train speed and accuracy separately.

Start every practice session in pure accuracy mode. No time limit. No rushing. Shoot some groups on an IPSC head or bullseye target of your choosing and really focus on being perfect. Track your group size and score over time. Freestyle, strong and weak.
    Ken Bloxton
    Skill > Gear

Feedback Score
    I'm new to USPSA but so far it looks like the top guys are all very accurate shooters. One will stay in the lower classes until accuracy is polished to a shine. The 25-yard distance is very relevant. I haven't shot very many matches but have already seen stages with targets at 20 yards, 25 yards, and 40 yards. The 40-yard targets were encountered in my first all-classifier match. It was on the Quad Standards 09-05 stage.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    In addition to distance, the size of the target will also determine the level of accuracy needed. In our local matches, most stages will have some sort of partial target covered either by hard cover or a no-shoot. Even if you don't have any shots beyond 20 or 25 yards, even a 10 yard target covered by a no-shoot may be the most difficult shot you take on a stage.