Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Question For airweight J-frame shooters

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Disconcerting. I own several S&Ws, but recently purchased my first J frame. My understanding is a broken trigger stud is rare, but it does happen. Contact S&W and they will send you a shipping label. Assuming you are the original owner, it will be fixed for free.

Feedback Score
    I had a S&W 442-1, bought in 7/15.
    By 2/16, after I'd shot it enough (maybe ~3K rounds) S&W replaced it due to a broken pin.
    Apparently, S&W decided to just replace the entire frame/gun.
    I don't know if it was a trigger pin or one of the other internal pins.

It happens and S&W warranties the issue. Just be patient and let S&W get the appropriate internal approvals and locate an available replacement within its inventory. It can take a couple of months.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-25-17 at 18:46.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    Yes sir Mr. T2C. The "stud" or pin, that the trigger pivots upon............I opened the side plate, and discovered that pin had snapped.

Strange. The last J Frame I sold had over 10,000 rounds fired through it and the only issue was intermittent problems with the laser sight near the end of the service life of the handgun. I did have to tighten screws that shot loose a few times.

Send it back to S&W, they should make good on the repairs. I picked up another J Frame to replace the well worn one. I'll have to keep a close eye on it for the issue you experienced.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Gentleman
    Yeah, it's a bummer. The trigger pins snapping may be rare, until it happens to you. It's funny that this happened when I decided to resume the firing schedule after.... 2 years now?

I carried the damn thing during all that time too. Whats interesting, is that despite this pin snapping, it still continued to function. The only reason I knew something was wrong was due to the trigger resetting itself. It just didnt feel "right". Instead of two clicks and a smooth reset, it just sort of dragged and popped. Hard to explain. Its like a car or any device you use, you just know its broken.

I actually sent it out to S&W a week ago. I'll update on the outcome, and then we can conclude this thread.

Here was my 442 in its final configuration before it died.

20171010_214308.jpg
    Last edited by KrampusArms; 10-25-17 at 21:55.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    10-26-17 The Gentlemen at S&W have my Snubnose, email pasted below. Let's see how this plays out.

2100 Roosevelt Ave PO Box 2208 Springfield MA, 01102

Dear "Krampus"

This email is being generated to let you know that we have received your item for repair and it is being processed. Your RMA number is *********, if you need to call for any reason please reference that number and one of our representatives will be happy to help you.
    If you require any assistance or have any questions involving the process, please call 1-800-331-0852. We appreciate your patience and understanding and thank you for choosing Smith & Wesson!
    Sincerely,
    The Smith & Wesson Team
    Last edited by KrampusArms; 10-27-17 at 00:09.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was not aware the gun was broken until I got home and function checked it after cleaning. After I oiled it, I dry fired it a few times to get the lubricant moving. As I said earlier, when the trigger reset, I noticed it did not feel right. Something was off.

When I removed the side plate, I discovered the broken pin.

The grand total was 1261, so it must have broken between the last 55 rounds I fired. Curiously, the gun still functioned. Everything rotated, locked and worked as it should. The only indicator was a really funky feeling reset.
    Last edited by KrampusArms; 10-27-17 at 18:02.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Glad to see S&W is taking care of you. I had a 442 a few years back with a cracked frame, just under the barrel near the cylinder crane. Likely happened at the factory when S&W torqued the steel barrel into the alloy frame, and then took some time to grow and become apparent. S&W sent me an RMA and, after a short time, a new revolver.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    She is a harsh mistress!!
    An Airweight? I have 2 and 15 to 20 rounds every other year are about twice as many as i like to shoot. Owie . I also have a model 60 and a 649 which are pleasant to shoot in comparison to am Airweight.
    Last edited by SteveS; 11-26-17 at 12:06.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567