Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Question For airweight J-frame shooters

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Yes, I fired 300 rounds of .38 Special, 100 rounds of .45ACP 230g ball and 70 rounds of .380 Auto in one session. I don't get to the range as often as I like and have to get more work in at each session.

My other J Frames bloody my right thumb after about 150 rounds and I usually keep going for another 50 to 100 rounds. The BG38 felt recoil is slightly lighter than with other light weight J Frames and it does not tear up the thumb due to the location of the cylinder release. It will callous your hand though.

I would borrow or rent a BG38 and fire it before replacing a 442. The 442 is a fine revolver.
    Wow, seriously man, that's fairly impressive. From my perspective at least. Maybe I should work on my hand strength!

Oh, no no no, not replacing the 442, just thinking about adding the BG sometime soon. Thanks for the input.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    Wow, seriously man, that's fairly impressive. From my perspective at least. Maybe I should work on my hand strength!
    Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire........................
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The plot thickens.......

Found some minor wear marks near the cylinder lock, contacted S&W, concerned the cylinder was contacting the frame during recoil.

They say that the airweight frames flex enough, to where the cylinder will contact the frame upon recoil. Does anybody else have these marks near their cylinder lock? Its insane for me to think the frames flex enough...... But it's supposedly so.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KrampusArms View Post
    The plot thickens.......

Found some minor wear marks near the cylinder lock, contacted S&W, concerned the cylinder was contacting the frame during recoil.

They say that the airweight frames flex enough, to where the cylinder will contact the frame upon recoil. Does anybody else have these marks near their cylinder lock? Its insane for me to think the frames flex enough...... But it's supposedly so.
    Pics would help.

Feedback Score
    On my last required qualification, I shot 100 rds 380; 100 rds 9mm and 100 rds .45. All were ball ammo. Seems the more I shot, the tighter grouping placement in center mass became. I guess I just had to get warmed up a bit. The .380 was a S&W bodyguard; 9mm a Sig Saur P290rs in 9mm and he .45 was my favorite, an HK Compact.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Pics would help.
    Unable to upload pics unfortunately. I keep getting a "Over the KB quota" type prompt. Not sure what to do.

Basically, both in front of, and behind my cylinder lock, there are very minor scuff marks. The only thing that could have caused this, is if the cylinder bottomed out during recoil, and struck the frame.

Smith & Wesson confirmed this via email, stating that "It is normal wear marks on the frame of that model. The frame will have flex being an aluminum airweight model and the cylinder will rub there"

That's word for word.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are these the marks you are seeing?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are these the marks you are seeing?
    No sir, but great photo of your recoil shield. It's interesting how the bodyguards don't have the traditional "hand" and all of that.

What I'm referring to, is the tiny cylinder lock that locks the cylinder when you pull the trigger.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)

My other J Frames bloody my right thumb after about 150 rounds and I usually keep going for another 50 to 100 rounds. If I see a student with a J Frame in a CCW class, I recommend they place a Bandaid on their firing hand thumb over the knuckle. I normally have them shoot 200 rounds during the live fire session and it's more comfortable for them to apply the Bandaid before shooting instead of afterwards.

For that reason, I have my gunsmith polish the lower edges and corners of the cylinder release on my 642. It doesn't cut me anymore, it just knock on my knuckle every now and then.

You are a serious shooter. I shoot 50 round max. at any given practice session with the 642. I'm a wimp.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

You are a serious shooter. I shoot 50 round max. at any given practice session with the 642. I'm a wimp.
    That's what I'm saying........ 50 is about right. My record in one session is 150 rounds, and that took determination. I had to fight through the pain!

T2C, you may have the world record.
    Clay....Bill Clay.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast