Thread: Anyone have a QD sling attachment fail or malfunction?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Anyone have a QD sling attachment fail or malfunction?

My duty rig is mounted in a vertical rack in my car. I was using a QD swivel attachment on the receiver plate for a few months, until last month I pulled my rifle out and slung it, only to have my weapon dumped on the ground. My QD swivel detached from the QD receiver plate! I chalked it up to a freak accident, and continued with this setup, and started checking my sling before I put my rifle in the rack daily. On 3 more occasions in the next month, when I removed my rifle from the rack, I checked the rear attachment point and discovered the push button was partially depressed and was dangerously close from coming detached from the receiver plate.

I'm not sure what brand the plate or swivel is, and I'm fairly confident its not user error. I'm not really interested in solving the issue, as i've ditched the swivels. Just sort of curious if anyone else has ever had an issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    We've had multiple rec-7 sockets fail.
    All of this is just advice. You go out and do whatever the f&<€ you want to do.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Are you storing it on the rack with the stock fully collapsed? If you have a QD swivel with one of the taller buttons the bottom front of the stock could be depressing the button. Store the rifle with the stock one click out to avoid this.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would second vicious and check that your stock isn't depressing the button.

On an anecdotal note, I've had no problems using Midwest Industries swivels with the flush button over the last couple years. I've done a lot of "drop the rifle and catch it by the sling" tests with them when testing different AK sling mounting options, and never had one slip.

You can see just how difficult it is for the button to be inadvertently depressed.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I bought a couple of the new magpul QDMs to play around with. Haven't had a chance to really use them but thus far the design seems to be less likely to let loose accidentally...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Are you storing it on the rack with the stock fully collapsed? If you have a QD swivel with one of the taller buttons the bottom front of the stock could be depressing the button. Store the rifle with the stock one click out to avoid this.
    Good call. I just looked, and the MOE stock is depressing the button when fully collapsed!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    This. I use the Spikes QD mount for this reason...it's a flat button, does not protrude above the rim.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLarge View Post
    Good call. I just looked, and the MOE stock is depressing the button when fully collapsed!

Winner! Ask and ye shall receive.