Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New/old S&W revolvers

Feedback Score

New/old S&W revolvers

In one of my old magazines, I read where S&W is introducing a 8 shot .357 mag Revolver (M&P R8) Anyone seen or fired one of these? Also, they are introducing the Model 66. MSRP is $849.00. I saw one in a local chain and it is going for around $749.00. I used to carry one and had to option to buy it when we went to autos. I wish I did because the Dept. was selling them for $150.00.

Mod r8

Mod 66

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern View Post
    In one of my old magazines, I read where S&W is introducing a 8 shot .357 mag Revolver (M&P R8) Anyone seen or fired one of these? Also, they are introducing the Model 66. MSRP is $849.00. I saw one in a local chain and it is going for around $749.00. I used to carry one and had to option to buy it when we went to autos. I wish I did because the Dept. was selling them for $150.00.
    The TRR8 and M&PR8 are (mostly) the same gun. It's basically an 8 round aluminum N-frame with rails.

One local shooter had the frame crack on his. Apparently this is common. THey don't seem to do well with a regular schedule of even warm loads, much less magnums. One guy on benos has used his in steel challenge pretty extensively, but he's shooting very mild loads. I've almost bought one a couple times, but the durability concerns have kept me from following through.

Feedback Score
    Why on earth would they bring it to the market if it couldn't work? I've been considering a 629, but am concerned about the quality.

Feedback Score
    I have a few older S&W revolvers, 586, 686, models 65, and 37. One of the few times I have a regret is selling a 'Bodyguard' in 38 spcl years ago. I bought a new one to replace it but not the same.

It's harder to find a good deal on one in decent shape. I have a soft spot for a quality revolver, but I admit I usual take a semi-auto.

Feedback Score
    About a year ago I bought a new model Smith 67. A 6 shot 4" .38spl. My plan was competition. It shot so far left I couldn't get the rear sight far enough to get it centered at 10 yards. The shop took it back. A sample of one but when I want a new revolver I wait to find a good old type used one.

Feedback Score
    I think Rugers shoot straight when they work.

Feedback Score
    Necropost: a few years ago I couldn't decide on a 627, the aluminum frame M&P R8 or 686SSR. I contacted S&W for info & their customer service warned me about the M&P R8 frames & finish loss, as well. As a result, I went with a 686SSR, which I sent to S&W for a 7 shot cylinder.

Works great, but I'm glad I skipped the R8.

Sorry again for the necropost.

Feedback Score
    The Performance Center 627 with the 5" slab side barrel is a gun I'd love to try out. Handled a few of them and they seem very nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSW View Post
    Necropost: a few years ago I couldn't decide on a 627, the aluminum frame M&P R8 or 686SSR. I contacted S&W for info & their customer service warned me about the M&P R8 frames & finish loss, as well. As a result, I went with a 686SSR, which I sent to S&W for a 7 shot cylinder.

Works great, but I'm glad I skipped the R8.

Sorry again for the necropost.
    THEY talked you out of buying their gun? Weird.

Feedback Score
    The Performance Center guns of today are no different than the factory gun running straight off the line.
    If you're going to buy a Smith revolver no matter what the era try to make sure that it has a one piece barrel most of the scandium frame guns if not all of them have a two-piece barrel system.

Smith & Wesson's eight shot 627pro or five inch PC slab side are both great guns however other than a little bit of attention to detail the PC gun is no nicer than the pro.
    I spend a lot of my time in the shop inside revolvers and I'm here to tell you that that an 8 shot 627 is the most enjoyable shooting revolver Smith has ever made in a magnum caliber.
    This is a set of revolvers I did some time ago they are just some examples of 627s out of my shop.

If I can help in any way just let me know.
    Thanks
    WWW.SUPERIORFIREARMSLLC.COM
    10111 Production Court
    Louisville ky. 40299
    502-365-2244

Former VSM Regional Endorsed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast