Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE 7/2 - Can a Carbine Require a "Warm Up" to Function Reliably?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

UPDATE 7/2 - Can a Carbine Require a "Warm Up" to Function Reliably?

UPDATE POST #38

Sounds like a stupid question I know, but I have been having some issues with my BCM 12.5 KINO with PMC Bronze ammo. Let me preface this thread by saying this is NOT a "I think something is wrong with my BCM upper" issue.

First my set-up:

DD SBR Lower (new)
    BCM 12.5 KINO Upper (non BFH) unsuppressed (new)
    BCM BCG (new)
    BCM Mod 4 CH
    Spikes ST-T2 buffer/OEM spring

Here is (was?) the issue:

Numerous double feeds. Double feed as in an empty and a live round caught in upper.

My guess is that the malfs were being caused by short stroking likely as a result of weak .223 PMC Bronze ammo and the H2 buffer. The carbine functions 100% with good 5.56 milspec ammo.

The set-up is relatively new. I had only put about 30 rounds down the pipe for initial zero and function tests. All slow fire.

I initially I had numerous double feeds (as defined above) with the PMC ammo when the gun was cold - maybe 2 rounds down the pipe before the double feed. Switched over to 5.56 and was good to go. Shot about 120 rounds of 5.56 doing various rapid fire drills - no issues. Tried the .223 PMC again (another 40 rounds) and it ran just fine.

To the point with my question(s): can a gun function more reliably when warm vs when cold? And, could this be a "break-in" issue - is there such thing with an AR? Anyway, this is a new one to me. I really think that if I had had the H buffer in to begin with I would not have had the issue with the .223 when cold. I do not intend to be satisfied with "it works okay when it's warm" and I'll play around with it later in the week, mainly by trying the H buffer.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by arptsprt; 07-02-15 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    You didn't have double feeds. You had a failure to extract that created a failure to feed. Do you have an O-ring on you extractor spring?

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ok. Thanks. My bad. I used the definition of "double feed" from an old thread I read about double feeds - this was the definition from Robb Jensen - M4C.net staff.

Anyway, regarding the o-ring, I do not know. It was a new BCM BCG that I ordered with the upper so I ass-u-me no since they usually don't ship with the o-ring. I will have to verify this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    You didn't have double feeds. You had a failure to extract that created a failure to feed. Do you have an O-ring on you extractor spring?

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I would run it for a few hundred more of 5.56 through it, before I would start looking hard at issues. When you have a spent casing still in the chamber, it failed to extract and the new round is unable to feed for obvious reasons. While it might seem its a double feed, your true issue is failure to extract.

If you have a standard H2 or even an H1, I would run that over the spikes from now on, especially if chasing down issues.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Sounds like a stupid question I know, but I have been having some issues with my BCM 12.5 KINO with PMC Bronze ammo. Let me preface this thread by saying this is NOT a "I think something is wrong with my BCM upper" issue.

First my set-up:

DD SBR Lower (new)
    BCM 12.5 KINO Upper (non BFH) unsuppressed (new)
    BCM BCG (new)
    BCM Mod 4 CH
    Spikes H2 buffer/OEM spring

Here is (was?) the issue:

Numerous double feeds. Double feed as in an empty and a live round caught in upper.

My guess is that the malfs were being caused by short stroking likely as a result of weak .223 PMC Bronze ammo and the H2 buffer. The carbine functions 100% with good 5.56 milspec ammo.

The set-up is relatively new. I had only put about 30 rounds down the pipe for initial zero and function tests. All slow fire.

I initially I had numerous double feeds (as defined above) with the PMC ammo when the gun was cold - maybe 2 rounds down the pipe before the double feed. Switched over to 5.56 and was good to go. Shot about 120 rounds of 5.56 doing various rapid fire drills - no issues. Tried the .223 PMC again (another 40 rounds) and it ran just fine.

To the point with my question(s): can a gun function more reliably when warm vs when cold? And, could this be a "break-in" issue - is there such thing with an AR? Anyway, this is a new one to me. I really think that if I had had the H buffer in to begin with I would not have had the issue with the .223 when cold. I do not intend to be satisfied with "it works okay when it's warm" and I'll play around with it later in the week, mainly by trying the H buffer.

Thanks for the input.
    When you say a Spikes H2 buffer, are you referring to their ST-T2 buffer? If so, this is not a standard H2 buffer and could be the cause of your problems.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yes, it is the ST-T2. Somebody gave it to me so I thought I would try it. My 11.5 BCM upper has a standard H2 buffer and eats everything so you might be right.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
    When you say a Spikes H2 buffer, are you referring to their ST-T2 buffer? If so, this is not a standard H2 buffer and could be the cause of your problems.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    It's pretty simple. Remove the extractor and look for the black O-ring around the extractor spring. Sometimes too much extractor tension can cause issues.

Quote Originally Posted by pomyc View Post
    Ok. Thanks. My bad. I used the definition of "double feed" from an old thread I read about double feeds - this was the definition from Robb Jensen - M4C.net staff.

Anyway, regarding the o-ring, I do not know. It was a new BCM BCG that I ordered with the upper so I ass-u-me no since they usually don't ship with the o-ring. I will have to verify this.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not 100% sure its the cause or not, but like SteveL said I would ditch that Spikes buffer. I don't run anything from Spikes personally.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    An H2 seems a little heavy for PMC bronze which is the lowest power brass cased ammo I have ever come across. I have steel cased ammo with much more punch than it has.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Come on IG gimme some credit... My post may make me seem like I'm clueless regarding all things AR, but I am not that bad... When I cleaned and inspected the BCG when I first got it, I was simply too lazy to remove the extractor to inspect to that detail. I will do that tonight.

As usual, thanks for the input gents.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    It's pretty simple. Remove the extractor and look for the black O-ring around the extractor spring. Sometimes too much extractor tension can cause issues.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast