Thread: AR pistol as a long range precision pistol?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

AR pistol as a long range precision pistol?

I couldnt find anything in searching. Has anyone done much with AR pistols as precision long range shooters? I was somewhat interested in XP100's after hearing of some of the crazy accurate groups some are getting at long range, like under 3" groups @ 300 yards. Can an AR pistol be built/used in that way? I'd as soon have an AR pistol as an XP100. I dont have any interest in TC Contenders.

Does anyone have experience using AR pistols like pistols instead of as stockless short rifles, meaning shooting two hands on the grip like an XP?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

AR pistol as a long range precision pistol?

I'd imagine that if you thought a good barrel, with a match cut chamber, and tailor loads for the gun, then you could get more than respectable groups.

Start with a National Match type build, or a David Tubbs space gun, you'll be looking at most of the correct bunches of components. Start removing, and shortening based on those, and you'll probably get to where you're trying to go. I'm sure that many of the top AR barrel makers would work with you on a precision barrel with a carbine gas system. After that, it's all about your handloads.

While you might not ever get to what a XP 100, or a Savage Striker can do, it would be fun to try.

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    While I can't give specific group sizes, shooting off a bipod from the prone with a Micro T2 and using my MK262 clones, I was able to consistently get hits on a 12 inch square target at 400 yards with my 12.5" BCM pistol, should have tried going to 500 and 600 and see what the results were.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    With quality parts, ammo, a good ler scope I don't see why not. Oh and lots of practice.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    So have you given it a go yet?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No, the question was more of curiosity at this point. I have some medical issues I need to get squared away, then can hopefully work again before I can go off having any fun.

Feedback Score
    Try just monopodding one on the mag. You might be surprised at what you can do. Yeah, it sucks not being able to have a cheek weld, and recovery from shot to shot is slower, but if you are careful about aligning your eye with the optic, you can shoot a pistol just about as well as a rifle like this.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775