Thread: Dedicated 22 Trainer for the Daughters

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Dedicated 22 Trainer for the Daughters

Earlier this year I put together a dedicated 22 rifle for my daughters using the following parts:

CMMG 20 inch barrel with sight
    CMMG Bravo Conversion
    CMMG Barrel Collar
    CMMG Anti-Jam Charging Handle
    BCM Upper (blem)
    A2 Handguards
    PSA 6/3 Carry Handle (sale)
    PSA Complete Lower (sale)
    Blackdog 30 round mag x 2
    Blackdog 10 round mag x 2

I have about 850.00 total in the rifle and magazines.

The daughters both have Marlin 90 rifles with Tech-Sight aperture sights, I went with this build over purchasing a M&P 15-22 in order for them to have a dedicated CMP training rifle and something suitable for .22 3gun (they have M&P 22's and GSG 1911-22's plus a 20ga 870). We are doing a couple of Appleseeds this summer and I hope to finish with the KD Appleseed at Raton in October. Depending on how that goes I'll build another .22 like this one.

My theory on raising daughters is keep them busy doing things that intimidate most boys, they are 15 and 16 so I still have a couple years to go before my theory is a proven success, but so far so good. Anyways I've drifted.

I had some initial problems with FTE's. I had degreased everything, treated the bore with Kroil, cleaned, then lubed the conversion. I left the chamber dry as I could. After the FTE's I polished/scrubbed the chamber with a .22 brush, cleaned and tried again. Nope. At this point I felt it was the extractor, even though it looked fine the spring seemed weak. I called CMMG and talked with tech support. They suggested that I 'buzz' the chamber a little more aggressively than I had. I purchased a pack of 3 Bore-Tech 6mm brushes at the LGS, chucked one into the drill (electic for some RPM) dunked it into some Brush Research honing oil and went to town for about 45 seconds. Cleaned it up and went back to the range.

As I reported in an earlier post - it worked fine. I sighted it in and then, dang I just was having so much fun I went through most of a brick of Federal Auto Match. I am hoping that the groups tighten up as I/they get some more rounds through it - it isn't shooting as good as their Marlin 60's.

I think, that depending on what you want the .22 AR for, this is an easy, fun way to get a good CMP training rifle. You can get an M&P 15-22 for about 1/2 - 2/3 what I have in this, but it doesn't fit my specific needs/desires as well. Plus, you have a lower you can use with another upper.

Just thought this might be useful.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-01-15 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For your daughters, sure. ... seriously though good on you.
    Try some better ammo and you should get better groups. Thanks for the trouble shooting tips.