Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do I lose with a 20mm scope objective?

Feedback Score

What do I lose with a 20mm scope objective?

To shoot 200-250 yards at coyotes with my new AR, the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope just jumped to the top of my list. The illuminated duplex looks great for my application and the additional BDC type graduations would probably be more confusing and just be in the way.

I can live with the slightly smaller FoV but I'm concerned about low light capabilities with the 20mm. I'm not sure if the Leupold coatings can contribute to make the 4.0mm exit pupil tolerable at 5x in low light? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Stand perfectly still.

Put your arms down and hands to your side.

Look up.

In the sticky section your wiil find this;

Difference between 1" and 30mm

Your questions will be answered.

YAW.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    Stand perfectly still.

Put your arms down and hands to your side.

Look up.

In the sticky section your wiil find this;

Difference between 1" and 30mm

Your questions will be answered.

YAW.
    Thanks canonshooter, that's really nice. So everyone else knows to look at the difference between 1" and 30mm tube diameters thread to get info about 20mm versus 24mm objectives? Do I need to have another 500+ replies to automatically acquire this knowledge or are you the only one that's been blessed?
    Last edited by Graystroke; 04-27-12 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Graystroke View Post
    Thanks canonshooter, that's really nice. So everyone else knows to look at the difference between 1" and 30mm tube diameters thread to get info about 20mm versus 24mm objectives? Do I need to have another 500+ replies to automatically aquire this knowledge or are you the only one that's been blessed?
    FYI;

1 inch tube scopes have 20mm objective lens
    30mm tube scopes have 24mm objective lens

Obviously, the diameter of the objective lens can not be the same as the outside diameter of the tube that contains it.

Sorry the title of the sticky confused you. And no worries, I'm done responding to your questions.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    To shoot 200-250 yards at coyotes with my new AR, the Leupold 1.5-5x20mm scope just jumped to the top of my list. The illuminated duplex looks great for my application and the additional BDC type graduations would probably be more confusing and just be in the way.

I can live with the slightly smaller FoV but I'm concerned about low light capabilities with the 20mm. I'm not sure if the Leupold coatings can contribute to make the 4.0mm exit pupil tolerable at 5x in low light? Thanks.
    If you are planning on hunting at night or late in the evening, then a scope scope with a larger objective lenses couldn't hurt.

I used a Leupold Var. II 2.5 X 20mm scope for a while and it was effective out to 200 yards for mid-sized targets, such as 10-12" steel targets and small game on clear ground free of cover.

The Var. III 1.5 X 5 20mm is pretty proven scope and used on large caliber big game rifles. If you are purchasing the scope new with the illuminated reticle, then I would recommend searching for a used MK4 1.5 X 5 mm for slightly more. I don't think the V3 with the illuminated reticle is worth an extra $200 versus the standard non-illuminated model.

I think either would work well as a general purpose scope for an AR type rifle.

That said, if you are planning to use the rifle exclusively for hunting or target shooting then I would look at something with greater magnification and a larger objective lenses around 40 mm. Another long-time proven leupold scope is their 2.5-8 V3 scope.

Good luck in your choice.

SkiDevil

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Canonshooter View Post
    FYI;

1 inch tube scopes have 20mm objective lens
    30mm tube scopes have 24mm objective lens

Obviously, the diameter of the objective lens can not be the same as the outside diameter of the tube that contains it.

Sorry the title of the sticky confused you. And no worries, I'm done responding to your questions.
    Thanks canonshooter, but the Leupold link here says their 1.5-5x20mm V3 has a 30mm tube. I'll call them and tell them they're wrong.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...illum-reticle/
    Last edited by Graystroke; 04-27-12 at 17:17.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Thanks canonshooter, but the Leupold link here says their 1.5-5x20mm V3 has a 30mm tube. I'll call them and tell them they're wrong.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...illum-reticle/
    Canonshooter was giving you a reference in an attempt to help you with the question. The outside tube diameter is not the point. The point is 20mm vs. 24mm lenses, not tube diameter. Don't waste our time time here asking questions if you are not interested in the answers received.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 04-27-12 at 17:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    Canonshooter was giving you a reference in an attempt to help you with the question. The outside tube diameter is not the point. The point is 20mm vs. 24mm lenses, not tube diameter. Don't waste our time time here asking questions if you are not interested in the answers received.

I'll try to be more explicit then.

I've been looking thru the Leupold website using the specs they list these scopes:

The VX-3 1.5-5x20mm scope with a 30mm tube. They list the VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with a 30mm tube. They also list the VX-6 1-6x24mm with a 30mm tube.

My original question was in reference to a 20mm objective - not tube size. If you'd read the damn post instead of responding to something that wasn't asked, the thread wouldn't have to last so long. If you just want to be sarcastic, I understand. The point was 20mm, it somehow got lost and the 20mm for 1'" and 24mm for 30mm is an irrelevant reference.
    Last edited by Graystroke; 04-27-12 at 20:32.

Feedback Score
    And - I thought the 30mm platforms allowed for a larger range of adjustments over the 1" tubes. But I could be wrong about that as well.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I'll try to be more explicit then.

I've been looking thru the Leupold website using the specs they list these scopes:

The VX-3 1.5-5x20mm scope with a 30mm tube. They list the VX-R 1.25-4x20mm with a 30mm tube. They also list the VX-6 1-6x24mm with a 30mm tube.

My original question was in reference to a 20mm objective - not tube size. If you'd read the damn post instead of responding to something that wasn't asked, the thread wouldn't have to last so long. If you just want to be sarcastic, I understand. The point was 20mm, it somehow got lost and the 20mm for 1'" and 24mm for 30mm is an irrelevant reference.
    OK. I'll do the research and reading for you:

Larger objectives allow more light gathering and a larger FOV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast