Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Triceps

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Most people I see walking on the treadmill just hang onto the machine the whole time which completely negates the purpose of the workout. This is literally EVERYONE I've observed doing these ridiculous incline bouts on the treadmill. There's even one guy at my gym who wear leather finger-less gloves to hold onto it with. So pointless.

I don't know what study you read, but preforming the same workout over and over isn't training. Its rehearsal.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I get that most people do that, I'm not one of those. So don't be a douche and make broad assumptions. There are Numerous articles on TNation about the do's and don'ts.

I had no issues running the 5k daily. Incline walking results in only 25 calorie deficit vs running, I will take that deficit to prevent long term injury every time.

The study was about too much running, not my lifting routine. Looks like there is also a study on here pointing out that same concern.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Today is my triceps isolation day. I am definitely going to incorporate these JM presses.

My Triceps routine, while effective, has been feeling a bit stagnant.

Finding the right weight may take some time. It definitely looks like one of those lifts that getting the motion down takes some time.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smash View Post
    Today is my triceps isolation day. I am definitely going to incorporate these JM presses.

My Triceps routine, while effective, has been feeling a bit stagnant.

Finding the right weight may take some time. It definitely looks like one of those lifts that getting the motion down takes some time.
    You may have to play with your grip width a touch FYI

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    You may have to play with your grip width a touch FYI
    Yeah, and I do a lot of reverse-close grip bench on Tri-days and note that grip width plays a big part. On the vids it looks like the guys let their elbows flare out a bit to allow for ROM. So I'll be trying to find the right solution for me.
    Full-time LEO

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Dips are the king of shoulder injury producers and I tell people to avoid them or do them sparingly and well warmed up. I'm getting injury averse in my old age, but I feel longevity is the true name of the game in lifting and exercise in general and if there's a less injury producing movement I can do for the same muscle group or effect, I'll choose that/recommend that.

Personally, I do dips at BW only often at the end of the workout for a few sets of 20 or so, but I don't do them often and the days of hanging all kinds of weights off belts for dips, long gone.
    My take on dips, from my own lifting and talking to other guys in the gym, is that dips work best for guys who are not optimally built for benching, and are hardest on those who are well built for the bench. I have long arms and can dip with basically unlimited volume, but I have to be pretty sparing with pressing movements or my shoulders act up. This seems to be a trend that holds pretty well in the sample size I've seen.

The longer I lift, the more I think that individual leverages and body proportions don't get talked about enough in lifting circles. In the past six months or so, I've started doing a lot of really wide snatch grip deads to get more bottom-ROM work, because I realized with long arms and shortish legs, my conventional deadlift ROM from the floor is essentially the same as a shorter-armed guy doing rack pulls. Similarly, for guys with shorter arms and barrel chests, it's almost like having a built-in board press compared to those with orangutan arms.

Feedback Score
    Agree with Mr. Brink ..

"think most people can drop direct arm work altogether and be fine, while reducing risk of common tendon issues that arise due to over use and save time in the gym. I have gone as long as 6 months without any direct arm work with no loss of strength or muscle. You could throw in a few sets of close grip bench press and reverse grip chins for added bi/tri activation on occasion also. "
    Last edited by Max Cady; 05-25-15 at 13:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9mmSMG View Post
    Haha god this is gonna be hard to explain without a video since most people do them incorrectly anyway. Imagine a kind of partial sort of close grip bench to your nose.
    I'd go straight into these right after skullcrushers (back when George HW was in office). I think I'll slowly incorporate them back in for some change.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Damage View Post
    Incline walking results in only 25 calorie deficit vs running
    Where are you getting that figure from?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Where are you getting that figure from?
    Cross chest heart rate monitor, target heart rate burn calculation. Different for everyone. Lighter more vascular fellows will see a larger deficit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345