Thread: Rusted ESEE

Feedback Score

Rusted ESEE

I am new to knives, so I am looking for some help.

My ESEE 5 and Laser Strike came in the mail today. My 5 had alot of rust on it. It was supposed to be new from a dealer.

I am not experienced with rusted knives and knife maintenance in general. Anyone know if I can fix this my self, or do I have to return the blade.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm pretty sure those are 1095 HC so if there's any bare sections it will start to rust. You should be able to rub if off with a little oil. As a matter of fact, you'd think there would have been some on the blade to keep rust from happening. Anyways, it's totally to your discretion. Contact the seller and let them know. They may want it sent back and send you a replacement, so is d that first before you attempt to clean it. They may appreciate you letting them know. Could be a storage issue.

On the other hand, put some WD40 on and rag and clean it off without slicing your hand off.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I wouldn't give that a second thought and get to using the knife. If it really bothered me I would oil it or sharpen it.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    First, a knife shouldn't come with ANY rust from a dealer BUT that is not a lot of rust. That's a tiny amount of rust and it's only on the surface.
    That's high carbon steel. It'll rust. Go use it or use oil and rag and be safe. That or try Flitz. Sharpening will work too.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Run it over a strop, and then apply a small amount of chapstick to the edge. A SEAL buddy of mine told me to do that to prevent rusting.

Feedback Score
    Thats hardly a lot of rust. Still looks new to me probably just a little humid wherever they are stored. I don't have a current pic but I stripped the coating off my 4 and did a forced patina with mustard.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by leman View Post
    Thats hardly a lot of rust. Still looks new to me probably just a little humid wherever they are stored. I don't have a current pic but I stripped the coating off my 4 and did a forced patina with mustard.
    I have a mora 510 that's stippled, Apple cider vinegar patina and slip-knot lanyard'd. End thread hijack

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, Here's a link on info about taking care of "1095" steel blades.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...steel-and-rust