Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I am close to being an AR owner.....finally

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

I am close to being an AR owner.....finally

I put a deposit on a new Colt LE6720 today, and I should.be able to bring her home in the next week or so. As an owner of two Colt 1911's and a Harley Davidson I KNOW firsthand that certain things lend themselves to modification. However, as I've gotten older( and wiser....I hope) I question some of the mods made to folk's AR-15's. I see weapons that are more suitable to kicking in doors in Afghanistan, or some cities here, than what the average user will actually do with them. I'm not looking to pick a fight, but taking a $1000-1500 rifle and then hanging everything this side of an expresso machine on them seems crazy. I think good sights( maybe an optic) , a quality sling and magazines, and a weapon's light for HD purposes should cover 99% of the scenarios John Q. Public will ever face. What happened to the KISS principle ? Thoughts ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by old grunt; 05-04-15 at 22:16.
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The KISS principle is alive and well on this forum. I think you're off to a great start with the right idea in mind. If you choose to mount an optic, just pick one that does the job you want it to do. There are more light/mount combos to count nowadays so no issues there. As for slings I prefer the Vickers 2-point sling from Blue Force Gear.

Good luck and keep us posted on where you end up going with this rifle.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Add:

1. Light
    2. Sling (vcas is great)
    3. Aimpoint PRO
    4. Mags
    5. Ammo

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    If I had the cash right now, I would buy a 16" BCM idlength, a set of FEE handguards, and an A1 carry handle upper receiver, and a mount for a surefire scout and call it good. I want it for a light weight pack/trunk rifle. My other ARs are kitted out so I don't need another one of those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    People often talk about how much stuff folks hang off their AR's... maybe I'm not looking at the right rifles, but it seems like most of the ones here in the pic thread are well thought-out. If a person needs what's on the rifle, then it's a good move.

For me, a light and a sling will reside on any defensive rifle, and if the setup allows, so will an Aimpoint micro. Still KISS, IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by nimdabew View Post
    If I had the cash right now, I would buy a 16" BCM idlength, a set of FEE handguards, and an A1 carry handle upper receiver, and a mount for a surefire scout and call it good. I want it for a light weight pack/trunk rifle. My other ARs are kitted out so I don't need another one of those.
    Flat top with a DD A1.5 or Magpul MBUS Pro rear sight would weigh a couple ounces less than an A1 upper. Paired with a 16" ELW-F barrel, KMR10, and a standard lower with a BCM stock and grip, and you've got one lightweight, capable carbine. I've considered a similar build myself using my M&P Sport upper receiver/BCG/CH and complete lower. Weighing some parts on-hand and using some online weights, the rifle should come out to around 6 pounds, 4 ounces.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 05-05-15 at 04:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    People often talk about how much stuff folks hang off their AR's... maybe I'm not looking at the right rifles, but it seems like most of the ones here in the pic thread are well thought-out. If a person needs what's on the rifle, then it's a good move.

For me, a light and a sling will reside on any defensive rifle, and if the setup allows, so will an Aimpoint micro. Still KISS, IMO...

Flat top with a DD A1.5 or Magpul MBUS Pro rear sight would weigh a couple ounces less than an A1 upper. Paired with a 16" ELW-F barrel, KMR10, and a standard lower with a BCM stock and grip, and you've got one lightweight, capable carbine. I've considered a similar build myself using my M&P Sport upper receiver/BCG/CH and complete lower. Weighing some parts on-hand and using some online weights, the rifle should come out to around 6 pounds, 4 ounces.
    Same here. Just bought a S&W Sport the other day. I plan to put a sling, light and a red dot on it and be done.

*MY line in the sand has long been drawn.
    And in today's world... it's sobering to look what ground is left in front of it*
    ---------------------------------------
    But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; - Ephesians 5:3

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Don't think of your rifle as a Harley Davidson. Lots of mods you can do, but while mods are the name of the game on a Harley, functionality is the game in these rifles.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post
    Same here. I don't know what rifles everyone talks about. The ones I see with NV/lasers and such on them are usually used for hog hunting or recreational shooting by the owners. Granted, it's not my cup of tea and I don't even have a light on my rifles, just saying I question whether it's really the problem people like to make it out to be.

It's easy to forget that the same hubris that prompts someone to kit out their rifle with expensive stuff can also prompt someone to get all high and mighty about how "you don't need all that."

Anyway...back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    Last edited by SniperOverwatch; 05-23-15 at 05:46.

Feedback Score
    Congrats on your Colt! She'll serve you well! Yeah, I'm w/you (op) on not hanging everything but the kitchen sink off your carbine. I do feel better though the more ammo and magazines I have.. I think that's #1 w/everyone... You know it is a big 'piece of mind' when having plenty of ammo and enough magazines to keep the anxiety away just in case another ammo panic comes again.
    I like to keep my AR's 'simple' too w/o adding 'cool' overpriced and unneeded crap. Yes sir, a good quality light will co$t but is a very good tool to have, but I bet after you feel how gritty and shitty that OEM trigger is, after a few squeeze's, you'll want to upgrade to a better trigger asap.. And no $350+ triggers either! I'll do my own trigger job or I'll get one of the ALG Defense Combat triggers that doesn't break the bank @ only $45-$65 w/ free shipping. Oh, and you might want to add a more comfortable/better butt-stock as well than the mil-spec one that came w/it. I personally like the VLTOR I-MOD stock. Anyway, it's your carbine to do with as you please so it's all up to you! Good luck and have fun w/your new survival "tool".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    Add:

1. Light
    2. Sling (vcas is great)
    3. Aimpoint PRO
    4. Mags
    5. Ammo
    Sage words right here ^^^^^
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast