Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Working the CZ P07 Slide

Leaving the slide locked back will not soften the spring, cycling the slide will. I suggest you keep practicing ranking the slide, the spring will loosen plus you learn muscle memory.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 6920_enthusiast View Post
    Leaving the slide locked back will not soften the spring, cycling the slide will. I suggest you keep practicing ranking the slide, the spring will loosen plus you learn muscle memory.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
    I understand the theory that "a properly designed spring will not take a set if left compressed and only cycling the spring will produce a set".

This may only apply to round wire springs and not so much to flat wire springs.

My experience in two separate pistols, an M&P 9C and the P-07, both with flat wire springs, shows the springs DO take a set from being stored while locked back.

In the case of the 9C, the spring was pretty weak afterwards and was replaced with a factory fresh spring.

In the case of the P-07 with a BLUE recoil spring, it softened up to reasonable levels and quit short stroking with American Eagle plinking ammo.

I read that the latest P-07s are shipping with a plain colored spring that is supposed to be softer than the blue spring.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That small slide has always been my complaint with CZs.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I can work the slide with no problem but my wife has trouble with it. I had her practice pulling the slide but she said it hurt too bad to do it for long. I'm currently looking for an alternative for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Women with limited strength should try cocking the hammer before running the slide. Admittedly, an additional step and thus not as fast as running the slide normally in a malfunction drill, but makes it do-able.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyviking View Post
    Women with limited strength should try cocking the hammer before running the slide. Admittedly, an additional step and thus not as fast as running the slide normally in a malfunction drill, but makes it do-able.
    Yes, the hammer contributes significantly to the slide force.

With the hammer cocked, a "broken in" blue recoil spring provides approximately 11 lbf in battery that increases gradually to approximately 18 lbf at full recoil.

With the hammer lowered under a CGW gold 15# mainspring , the initial 11 lbf spikes to 18 lbf within the first 1/4" of slide travel, then roughly maintains this level of force all the way to full recoil.

Intetestingly, the decreasing mechanical advantage of the hammer mechanism almost perfectly compensates for the increasing force of the recoil spring over the majority of the slide travel.

I consider this a solid advantage of hammer fired pistols.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I was at the LGS the other day and looked at a P-09.

The slide felt significantly easier to rack than my well broken in P-07.

I'm not sure why the P-09 can get away with a lighter spring or why the P-07 comes with such a heavy spring.

There may be differences in slide weight and travel before unlocking that cause the differences.

Has anyone compared them side by side?
    Black River Tactical

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12