Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AR Pistol As a Go To Rifle

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Cheek on buffer tube, additional support with a one point sling, the stability is very good, even without holding against the shoulder.
    While it is not as stable as a true SBR with a proper stock body, I would say it is about 75%.
    May be a good option for some, but the end all be all for others.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score

Something like this.makes all the difference.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy.tankersley View Post
    Has anyone on here actually fired an AR pistol from a cheek weld position? I ask because if you have, and have spent some time with it, you would know that it's a VERY viable platform.

AR pistol as a go to? Definitely.
    I have, and used to be a proponent of them. I have had two. Still have one.

I have also trained with one. And I have practiced with one, and then switched to a SBR to do the same practice.

I am faster and more accurate with the SBR. Close up the pistol does okay. On target transitions, working multiple distances, etc, it falls apart for me. It just doesn't work as well as a true shoulder fired rifle.

I see some utility, but only because of the NFA laws in the country.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can shoot a 16" AR carbine/rifle faster and more accurately than a 10.5" AR pistol, because of the stability of the stock, but if SHTF, I wouldn't mind having the manueverability of the shorter barrel.

Feedback Score
    If barrel length is reasonable & utterly reliable (11.5 or 12.5) I don't see why a pistol config is any less viable than rifle. They really aren't that different... Especially with a brace installed.

Sure, a proper SBR would be even better. But AR pistols would certainly work if that's all you can have in your (commie) state.

When you get down to 7.5" length barrels, it may get a little more questionable. Would definitely need some thorough function testing in advance to make sure it's reliable with all ammo & conditions.

10.5s are usually pretty solid these days, but personally I would prefer an 11.5". The extra inch helps reliability more than you might expect. Not to mention a little more velocity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank_Castle View Post
    If barrel length is reasonable & utterly reliable (11.5 or 12.5) I don't see why a pistol config is any less viable than rifle. They really aren't that different... Especially with a brace installed.

Sure, a proper SBR would be even better. But AR pistols would certainly work if that's all you can have in your (commie) state.

When you get down to 7.5" length barrels, it may get a little more questionable. Would definitely need some thorough function testing in advance to make sure it's reliable with all ammo & conditions.

10.5s are usually pretty solid these days, but personally I would prefer an 11.5". The extra inch helps reliability more than you might expect. Not to mention a little more velocity.
    It's not the barrel length that creates the issue. It's that there isn't 4-points of contact like with an actual rifle. When the sig brace was legal to shoulder they made a lot of sense.

I have been practicing more with the pistol lately though. I'm finding a tight 2-point sling more stable than a single point. Speed and accuracy still isn't where I want it yet, but I'm narrowing down the configuration, and technique.

So I am willing to concede it's viable, but still less than optimal.

Feedback Score
    I will take that. In an ideal world NFA would not exist and we'd all have SBRs! Don't I wish man!

I'll steer clear of the brace legalities discussions because I think too much talk of that online screwed us. (We screwed ourselves)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345