Thread: Paul Howe @ CSAT

Feedback Score

Paul Howe @ CSAT

Just an FYI about Paul . When I took Paul's Tactical Pistol I back in 2012, he made a point that once you were a student of his you have access to his expertise moving forward. Well today, I shot him a question via email about the CSAT XS sight for the AR-15 . Paul answered me in FIVE MINUTES. He followed up my response immediately also. It's stuff like this that will send me back to Texas to train at CSAT again. Paul is a great guy, great trainer and, of course, a great American

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by old grunt; 05-11-15 at 19:50.
    "WE DEAL IN LEAD FRIEND.", Steve McQueen,THe Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)/OIF 2007-08
    Colt Gov't & OM / G19 & 26/SP101
    Retired NYS LEO/NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    I've been twice to his courses. About as cool and professional as they come. Can't recommend him enough. Top notch guy.

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    That is typical for Paul. Poor guy has probably responded to 50+ emails from me, often within minutes.

I took AIT with him in November, and will be in his UDC class this weekend! Cannot wait!

Feedback Score
    I had the same type of experience. Took a pistol followed by a carbine course at CSAT. Emailed him like a year later with some questions and he was generous to respond with great advice right away.
    I would love to go back for more training with him but I've moved out of state unfortunately which makes it difficult.
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Paul Howe has always struck me as one of the most competent and genuine warriors out there. Badass in his own right but a good guy also.

Feedback Score
    Something to consider if you've been wanting to take a class from Howe.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howe
    Fifteen years ago I created CSAT, just prior to retiring from the Army. I felt I had more to give back to the tactical and shooting world and decided CSAT was the way to do it. I did a bit of contract work before it was all the rage to help get the business started and also went on the road doing 28-30 trips a year to conduct law enforcement training. After a few years, it became obvious that the road was a hardship tour I did not wish to continue on.

I started putting my money in land and carved out a training area. I first purchased 220 acres, then 110 as a buffer/additional training area and then purchased the barracks with its four acre tract. We finished our final projects this year and to be honest, I am out of gas.

Unfortunately, it takes a constant cash flow to stay on the porch which means a certain number of classes need to be run to ensure the business stays afloat. I have learned a new appreciation for small business owners on this journey as I have done our accounting, maintenance, building and teaching. An average work day without a class averages 9 hours and a work day during a class is 14-16 with the pre-work and post class chores. I am not complaining. As I say, it has kept me off the streets and out of the bars and channelized my energy to a positive end. As a business owner, I have scrubbed the toilets more times than I can recall. I have been blessed to work with conservative groups of people, government, LE and civilian who share the same work ethic and passion for protecting the nation, their families and themselves.

I will be 55 this year and don’t want to be a 60 year old running around in body armor trying to keep up with 30 year olds. I am too long out of the arena. I like to think that from 40-55 is a good age to give back to those who helped teach you and thus bring up the next generation. I can keep up, but it gets harder each passing year and with the demands of maintenance, scheduling, accounting, etc., there is only so much time in the day.

I have therefore decided to implement an extraction plan from CSAT and I am not quite sure what the future will hold. My plan is to stop within the next 1-4 years. I have started developing a staff and will leave it up to them on how the business will continue. My only requirement is that the quality stay the same or get better, it cannot drop. Further, I will be looking at options to transfer (sell/lease) CSAT in the future with several different options on the table:
    Stay and consult
    Stay and teach limited time
    Sell as complete package (220/barracks-possibly 110)
    Sell CSAT as package (Land/lesson plans-Business)
    Lease the land
    Part out the land for sale
    If I don’t advertise my intentions, I limit who knows about this and which limits the potential customers interested in its purchase or lease. Finally, I will continue to teach and advertise classes and quietly discuss offers with anyone who is seriously interested.

Finally, I will be no longer teach any government classes as they have become C/D customers. This means I have A, B, C, D, and F customers, just like an old report card. I would prefer to work with A and B customers. They show up and pay on time. With the government and their constantly changing budgets and poor scheduling practices past government clients have cancelled classes on short notice. I am unable to generate another class as working Americans are forced to plan their time and vacations, etc. The government leaves you with “sorry” and that is unacceptable in the business world. I lose time and money and prospective students lose classes. With that, I have had federal clients remove all their equipment from my facility and in the future I will train only local and state Law Enforcement and civilians.
    Source: http://www.combatshootingandtactics....date_Jun14.pdf

Feedback Score
    56 (100%)
    ^^^^^
    And that's why I flew there from Baltimore back in November and will again tomorrow. He is such a resource, to NOT train with him before he hangs it up would be a shame.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
    That is typical for Paul. Poor guy has probably responded to 50+ emails from me, often within minutes.

I took AIT with him in November, and will be in his UDC class this weekend! Cannot wait!
    ^^^^ This
    I'm envious, we were supposed to be in this class but we had a family medical issue that will prevent us from traveling.... SUCKS, but we'll make it happen next year. Uncle Paul is top notch, consummate professional and really good guy. I don't think he sleeps...
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit