Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norincos and aftermarket parts?

Feedback Score

Norincos and aftermarket parts?

My Norinco 1911-A1 is probably the most reliable 1911 I've ever owned. The TRP has even given me a few feeding issues, so I've thought about adding a few things to the Norc to make it a little more shootable. The sights are still lousy, being only marginally better than USGIs, and the safety is the older 1911 (non-A1) style, and is pretty sharp. I've also heard that while the frames and slides are tough steel, the internals wear out faster than average, so I was considering changing out the guts for Ed Brown, Wilson, etc.

Has anyone had any problems fitting parts to Norinco guns?

-Sights
    -Safety
    -Possibly beavertail
    -Internals
    -Bluing

Last edited by 1911-A1; 05-12-15 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I too had an amazingly reliable Norinco. Back when you could get them for $275.

I did everything to that gun. Much of it myself... I think I had the front sight dove tailed in. But they're pretty upgrade friendly.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Customized Norc.
    A bit hard in the front sight area.
    No surprises.
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    Nice work from chuck as usual. One of the HUgE issues with 1911's is people take a functional gun and tinker with it until it is an unreliable scrap heap. If your gun is 100% reliable your best bet is to get new sights and keep everything else as is. With every internal part replacement you roll the dice on making your gun less reliable
    I speak of this when people try to drop I parts without expert help which usually ends very badly.
    Send the gun to a reputable 1911 smith and it would probably be fine. There is an endless stream of threads on the web about changing a few parts in a previous reliable gun ( 1911 is king of this with the glock a close second) and then posting how the gun no longer runs

Feedback Score
    I have heard that the Norc is made of very tough steel. Any truth to that?

Feedback Score
    I've worked on a few Norcs.
    They are made of good steel, I don't think
    any 'tougher' than a Colt or Springfield.
    Cheap-Fast-Good
    Pick any two.

Feedback Score
    The only parts I found that weren't interchangeable were the grip screws and grip bushings. I bet they were metric.

Feedback Score
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Better sights, makes total sense, but if it feeds reliably and shoots well, leave it alone and enjoy it. If you're bored and need a project, go find a project gun. That said, if you just have to tinker with the Norinco, I would send it to Rogers.

Chuck, amazing work, as usual.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Better sights, makes total sense, but if it feeds reliably and shoots well, leave it alone and enjoy it. If you're bored and need a project, go find a project gun. That said, if you just have to tinker with the Norinco, I would send it to Rogers.

Chuck, amazing work, as usual.
    Yeah, I agree. Better sights, a new safety and maybe a new bluing are all it really needs.

Anyone know if they have 1911 Ameriglo Hackathorn sights out yet? I have them on my Glocks and love them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    [/URL]
    I've never seen anything like that before. What is that wild grip thing setup called?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast