Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Test fit of light / laser set up.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I won't Jack the thread or answer for the OPs specific needs, but I can comment on the CQBL and the visibility of the red laser. In daylight you will have a hard time seeing the laser without magnification at distances even less then 50 yards. Cloudy overcast 50 is ok. At night, I was able to easily see the IR laser with my PVS-7s at 800 yards. No problem. Same with the visible red laser without my NVGs. Could have been farther but that was a known distance I had ranged during the day to a hunting blind. For me all my rigs are set up with 12 tape switches and the light mounted at 130. I prefer to standardize the light / laser controls with all my rigs. Not all have lasers, but they all run some form of 12 Mounted surefire tape switch. I also don't care for the break of grip to get on top of the cqbl to hit the fire button. I can run the laser constant on with momentary IR light and that works well for me. Not sure what OPs needs are.
    Thanks for the response JW, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep the irons without moving the laser back to the rear of the rail, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with that limited of visibility for a BUIS system...even with how bombproof Aimpoints are.

I looked over your build thread (very nice btw) and your needs and role for that build are pretty similar to mine. I would just rather avoid a tape switch if possible. Any reservations not having irons? Any reservations with a tape switch failing? (We can take this to your thread if we need to).

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Thanks for the response JW, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm not sure how I'll be able to keep the irons without moving the laser back to the rear of the rail, but I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with that limited of visibility for a BUIS system...even with how bombproof Aimpoints are.

I looked over your build thread (very nice btw) and your needs and role for that build are pretty similar to mine. I would just rather avoid a tape switch if possible. Any reservations not having irons? Any reservations with a tape switch failing? (We can take this to your thread if we need to).
    I tried putting the laser back right in front of the aimpoint. With the laser such low profile, even with KAC micro, magpul pro, front sights etc, you get interference and bloom off of the front sight. It does not work. My tape switch did fail, but the rubber band now holds the plug in. I need to cut, replace, solder the factory plug in the surefires laser plugs place. It sucked as after 2 rounds it came right out a 1/16 of an inch and would not activate the switch. So I would say keep that in mind with the surefire switch from the start. You can always manually fire the laser even with the plug in. So that's always a backup.

I did put the laser on the 3 rail, keeping the light in the same spot mounted from a offset mount on the 12 rail with an iron sight. I do not like the horizontal point of aim and impact with the adjustments a little different also. The 12 rail is where it's at in my opinion. Also, pending your rail length, having a BUIS even with a very small site radius is better then nothing. You could always put your front iron sight in front of the aimpoint as far as possible.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 05-26-15 at 09:28.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    double tap.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Okay... Rifle is built and test fired. While fiddling with the accessories I noticed the location I prefer to have the tape switch is directly over the gas block. Has this been an issue for anyone else? The rail has no heat shielding and in fact is very open on top. I'm thinking I may need to move it to 9 or 10 o'clock. Thoughts?

Last edited by El Cid; 10-17-15 at 17:11.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I run all of my tape switches on the top rail over the GB. No issues. I use the Surefire SR switches FYI.
    Only hits count......you can not miss fast enough to catch up

"I'm just a one man army waging jihad against shitty ARs, one rifle at a time." Will Larson (IraqGunz) I miss you my friend

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATcop556 View Post
    I run all of my tape switches on the top rail over the GB. No issues. I use the Surefire SR switches FYI.
    Excellent - thanks! This won't be a duty rifle or anything but anything that says Surefire is expensive to replace.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12