Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An Afternoon Hike 'n Shoot

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    All you need is a pit with a pig roasting over it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I love it when it's in the 40's, that is when it is perfect. Roaring fire, no bugs, no snakes, and don't need ice for the reebs.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    You must be somewhere in the Hill Country.

Amazing that it is still that green out there this time of year.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm in North Central Texas, but I bet the Hill Country does look amazing right now.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We go to Bankhead national forest. Usually around the flint creek area and dip off the trail and find something new. We schedule with our wives different days to go "play gun" (so the women folk say) usually mall ninja up in camo and look for hogs, find water, just basically get familiar with the area since it's fairly large and could potentially make good refuge

Last edited by Jpoe88; 06-02-15 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That is some good looking, running water. That is one thing that we don't really have a whole lot of in my area. Our sandy bottomed creeks don't really run unless it comes a turd floater and then it's gone, but they do hold a little water in places. Looking at that reminds me that I hate getting wet moving through that kind of stuff. I don't mind getting rained on, but if my feet get wet walking through water like that......well, I'm fn pissed at that point.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My buddy and I got a chance to get out to do some hiking, shooting, and camping. We got a break in the heat by a couple degrees, but the humidity was still pretty killer. We got a 12" rain since I had been there last that did some damage to the roads and caused a couple hill slides that caused me some problems. So, I did move the range to where I could do some mowing. I should have taken the tractor.

It was nice to have a shooting buddy for running drills and doing some bounding. All shooting was performed off-hand or moving. This range setup had the farthest targets at 175 yards, then the other 6 were from 100 to 160 yards. Also set up a couple paper pistol targets.

We didn't stop when the sun went down.

I hadn't seen my buddy in a little while. There's nothing like getting outdoors and having good times with good friends. Also, if you get outdoors and you don't have a ThermaCell, you really need to look at one. It has worked great so far. I went bowfishing after dark at the local lake last week. The sound of the mosquitoes was deafening. We were wearing headlamps, yet no bites from the mosquitoes or gnats. It doesn't do anything for spiders, though.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thanks for the tip on the Thermacell. The dang skeeters have been eating us alive around here. And with the West Nile virus, it's not something I'm too keen on.

I just ordered one off the Amazon link you provided. Many thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Thermacell. The dang skeeters have been eating us alive around here. And with the West Nile virus, it's not something I'm too keen on.

I just ordered one off the Amazon link you provided. Many thanks.
    Those things are phenomenal. I bought two for a handgun class I'm hosting in August

Feedback Score
    I either use a little homemade alcohol stove, or just a plain fire, depending upon the need for discretetion. I dont relish having to break up my wood that small. Normally, I favor having Dakota pit or "creekbank stove". but swampy conditions, hard frozen ground, desert caliche, etc, snow, etc, can call for the alcohol. I don't normally take food that needs cooking, but sometimes shoot or catch something that should be eaten. As our daughter grows older, she will love doing this stuff. Now, at 6, picnic conditions are best, after maybe a little bit of bush-busting. When the hike stops being an "adventure" for her, we set up camp. :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12