Thread: Is there an AR-10 caliber that works well for subsonic suppressed shooting?

Feedback Score

Is there an AR-10 caliber that works well for subsonic suppressed shooting?

Is there an AR-10 caliber that works well for subsonic suppressed shooting? I know its possible with a 308 with fast barrel twists and 200+ grain bullets but is there a caliber thats better suited for this use?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    300 Blackout. Everything from an AR15 except the barrel. 5.56/.223 barrel off, 300 Blackout barrel on and done.

Feedback Score
    I've got 2 300 blackouts already and they run awesome. My question, however, is whether or not theres an AR-10 caliber that will run well. 338 Federal maybe?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    My take on this is as follows:

To me, the price and weight penalty that you pay for the AR-10 (or other large frame AR) is only worth it if you need/want something that the AR-15 cannot deliver.
    The AR-15, in its various calibers, probably covers everything except for hunting big game or shooting out to really far distances.

For subsonic use, the .300 BLK is damn good, and is compact and light. Putting up with the weight, size and cost of a large frame for similar performance does not sound appealing to me.