Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: .22LR trainers?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went a different route. I researched the crap out of it and decided on the 15-22. At the last minute I switched gears and went 9 mm ar. I set it up the same as my primary ar, including stock, handguard. Weight and balance are very close. Recoil is a little lighter but closer than 22. Reloading is the key to make it a viable option.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by troda View Post
    I went a different route. I researched the crap out of it and decided on the 15-22. At the last minute I switched gears and went 9 mm ar. I set it up the same as my primary ar, including stock, handguard. Weight and balance are very close. Recoil is a little lighter but closer than 22. Reloading is the key to make it a viable option.
    I have thought about doing this but found the recoil to feel slightly heavier with the blowback 9mm.

For as much as a shoot my tacsol .22 and as much as I have wrapped up in it, I probably would have been better off just to get the cheaper S&W.

Feedback Score
    Another vote here for the M&P 15-22; remarkably reliable and so fun to shoot and as mentioned previously can be configured to mimic your 5.56. I use ours at our clubs steel match on occasion and its a blast. The mags are very sturdy as well and certainly allow for good malfunction and reloading drills. You do have to modify a BAD lever or the lower at the trigger guard if you want to employ one of those devices though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I built a dedicated .22 upper for my SBR because I couldn't find a commercial one that was exactly what I wanted. And after having it a while I ended up getting another lower and SBRing it so I could just make that a dedicated .22 gun. I didn't like the idea of my defensive gun getting all that . 22 crud in it all the time. The moral of the story is: if you want a .22 AR get a dedicated gun, and the M&P 15-22 is definitely the best balance of cost and quality.

The .22 AR is great for new shooters and for some cross-training, but without the full recoil of a 556 I think it's training qualities are limited. However, it sure is fun to shoot! I use mine a lot and it's especially fun with the suppressor on it.

Feedback Score
    Will the threaded barreled m&P 15-22 mate with the Spectre ii silencer?

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Dyke View Post
    Will the threaded barreled m&P 15-22 mate with the Spectre ii silencer?
    Yes.

Both come standard with 1/2 x 28 threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    "A few years ago I ruined a 5.56 barrel using a .22 conversion bolt. Put a "ring" in the barrel (from a squib .22 then firing another .22 behind it). Before you jump all over me "should have assesed the failure" blah blah blah you should know that a squib round on a .22lr will happen sooner or later just due to the nature of Rimfire, when it does happen you do not hear anything it sounds just like a dud (which are common on Rimfire, so you get accustomed to racking them out and moving on). I was "on the clock" on a stage, I racked it out and keep competing that's how it happened; didn't know anything was wrong until I cleaned the gun later. If you are around .22lr rifles long enough you might see some that have "ringed" barrels and still seem to shoot fine (sometimes owners are not aware that it happened) and usually don't hurt anything, but given this was a 5.56 I couldn't take the chance with 5.56 being fired later."

Me too. Had a CMMG unit: mediocre accuracy, iffy reliability, and it finally cost me a barrel from a bulge. Live and learn. Bought a 15-22 about three years ago and love it. Coming up on 4K rounds through it, with zero issues other than the usual occasional .22LR misfires. Put a spare Jard trigger in it (the stock trigger actually wasn't actually too bad). Put a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on top. Sure, it's lighter than a real AR, but I'll tell you what--it's a whole lot like my 5.56 that mounts a compact ACOG.

I wish everything I bought was half as good.

Feedback Score
    Back to the OP question, I would say get just a 22lr upper with a standard mag 22lr that works in a .223 lower. Personally I have a drop in and it hasn't failed me yet after 30 years. Just run copper jacketed 22lr through a drop in. And then shoot 1 round of 5.56 to make sure the gas tube isn't clogged (never has been for me). Drop ins and interchangable uppers are great and affordable and don't comprise of plastic like a M&P 22. Or just build a new upper and leave a drop in on it and never use 223 in the gun so you dont need to care if its gas port gets clogged by the lead.
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I bought a CMMG dedicated upper and I love it . I don't even train for anything it is fun and everyone that tries it hands it back to me with a smile on their faces. The dedicated upper keeps the exact AR feel as the full caliber ARs.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I fooled around with a few dedicated uppers for my sbr. The tacsol is the cream of the crop.

That said, I eventually SBR'd a 15/22. With a 7" barrel & an SWR Warlock2 on it, it's about the same length though lighter than my 12.5" barreld BCM Kino AR. Somewhere past 5k rounds through the 15/22 since new. It runs like a sewing machine!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast