Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Looking into getting my first, good, fixed edge kife.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good deal. I still push the mora for an expendable item. Most people have a fair bit of experience with a kitchen knife and it's fairly comparable. Grab one toss it in the pack or glove box. Is it a be all end all like what you just bought? Definitely not. Check it out though. Best 10 I've spent in a while!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Yup, I replaced all my OEM "Grivory" scales with Tomar's custom Micarta scales as the OEM ones are slicker than a naked coed in a baby oil wrestling match.
    http://www.tomarskabars.com/bk-hndl-info.html
    Yup, these are great. I'm also a huge fan of TKC's G10 handles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    Good deal. I still push the mora for an expendable item. Most people have a fair bit of experience with a kitchen knife and it's fairly comparable. Grab one toss it in the pack or glove box. Is it a be all end all like what you just bought? Definitely not. Check it out though. Best 10 I've spent in a while!
    Have say a big +100000000000 to this.

I've owned tons of Busses, swamp rats scrap yards, fehrmans, beckers and Esees.

My $14 mora is still my most used knife over the past 10 years...

Second would be an esee 3.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I love that the ESEE's come very affordable and ready to go from the factory. Or, you can get into custom handles and sheaths, and there are many options out there. They are also fine with no handles or wrapped in 550 cord. Great value, and great knives that have been used a ton, by many people that get outdoors.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    I was looking at the ESEE 4 a couple years ago. A good friend bought me a benchmade bushcrafter before I pulled the trigger. I love the benchmade for hunting, and camping. If I'm doing anything outdoors it's with me. I think it's a little more spendy than the ESEE but another option to look at.
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 05-22-15 at 06:43. Reason: Fat fingered my phone

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The ESEE 5 is very heavy/thick. I'd try one before you buy if possible.

The ESEE 3/4 have small handles that may be an issue if you have large hands. I'm happy with my 3, but the handle is fatiguing with heavy work.

Tops BOB Fieldcraft gets good reviews as well. I have been tempted to try one.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Looking to the serious bushcraft guys and what they use, most (not all for obvious reasons) fall into either the mora camp or fallkniven camp.

There's a reason.

The curious thing is most will all have a smaller bladed knife as well. Not a big bowie for sure. Again, there's a reason.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would suggest checking out Ryan W Knives. He is an awesome custom knife maker. I own 2 of his fixed bladed and both are amazing. his level to detail and perfection has made me a huge fan of his work. Here my second knife he made for me. It is a Lorien Design BRO.
    and my first knife, the Custom Blue Line Special he made me . Here is his Website where you can shop and get an idea of what you want. The BRO is right in your price range and I promise you that you will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by ballerchaos; 06-15-15 at 19:32.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Any have any experience with the ESEE Laser Strike? I’ve been hawking one on TKC. Their G-10 scales look nice too. How do the compare with the ESEE 4 or 5?
    Last edited by Korgs130; 06-27-15 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    Any have any experience with the ESEE Laser Strike? I’ve been hawking one on TKC. Their G-10 scales look nice too. How do the compare with the ESEE 4 or 5?
    I've handled one and considered getting it. Ultimately I went with the Tops Dragonfly instead. I prefer that as my "bushcraft" knife, but I typically keep a folding saw or hatchet and a Mora close by. For all of the uses a knife can be used for the the woods, the weight and size of a Mora as a backup is well worth it, IMO. (provided you're talking about a full size pack load)

The Dragonfly cuts like a lightsaber and the grip worked better for me and my hands. One thing I liked was the lack of coating on the blade. The coatings on the ESEE blades can grab a little when you're driving them through wood, the flip side is they offer corrosion protection. I've been working with some bushcraft skills off an on for maybe 10 years now, and my preferences in knives have changed a lot over time.

The Light My Fire Mora really has no equal for its size, weight, and price tag. I'd have zero problem recommending that to anyone as a starting point, a backup, or a loaner.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast