Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR-9 PDW

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

AR-9 PDW

I'm going to call this one 99.95% finished. Some upgrades may be coming down the road, but for all intents and purposes, it's finished and working like a sewing machine. While the write-up for this project can be found here, I'll duplicate the parts list (edited to reflect the current configuration.)

Upper Half
    Colt A4 9mm upper
    CMMG 9mm BCG
    QC10 Barrel 9mm 5.5" 1/2"-28
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod. 4
    Standard Barrel nut
    A1 Flash Hider bored for 9mm
    Magpul Pro BUIS*
    MI Keymod hand guard, custom cut*

Lower Half
    GPI Slim Colt-style Lower
    White Oak LPK
    ALG ACT trigger
    KNS Anti-Rotation Pins
    Hahn Precision 9mm Buffer
    Carbine spring
    KAK Shockwave RE*
    Shockwave Blade brace*
    Magpul MOE SL grip*
    Magpul Enhanced trigger guard
    Magpul ASAP-QD end plate

Yes, I colorfilled the pictogram markings as well as the non-lever side of the safety selector. I did this for two reasons, 1) I want the condition of the gun to be clearly visible to observers and 2) I really like the looks of it.

I was having major ejection issues and went so far as to buy a different buffer and Wolff extra power spring and tried different brands and weights of ammo. No joy. Finally, I did a little bit of research and traced it to the ejector. A slight tweak and the thing spits the empties four feet to the 3o'clock.

I originally had the Magpul K grip on it. For what the gun is intended to do (mimic an MP5k), it was naturally a given. However, after using the SL grip for a bit, I'm sold on it to the point where I may swap out the MIAD on my Colt 6920. I've had the MIAD on there for so long, it became my default grip of choice. I do wish the SL had room for storage, but I might be able to jerry-rig something. I'd like to keep a set of foam ear plugs with it in case I happen to forget my ear pro.

I want to get a hand stop to keep hands away from the muzzle. I'm thinking of the ZeroBravo RHS for this. I may also try the Noveske panels. I may also play with cutting some longer rails to give me more room for a vertical grip and hand stop once it's SBRed. The next step though is finding a case for it. Currently, it's sitting in a tennis racket case I picked up at Goodwill for a ludicrous amount of money...$8! It fits it pretty well, but there's no way to keep magazines with it and, well, I'm not the tennis type.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    I'm going to call this one 99.95% finished. Some upgrades may be coming down the road, but for all intents and purposes, it's finished and working like a sewing machine. While the write-up for this project can be found here, I'll duplicate the parts list (edited to reflect the current configuration.)

Upper Half
    Colt A4 9mm upper
    CMMG 9mm BCG
    QC10 Barrel 9mm 5.5" 1/2"-28
    BCM Gunfighter Charging Handle Mod. 4
    Standard Barrel nut
    A1 Flash Hider bored for 9mm
    Magpul Pro BUIS*
    MI Keymod hand guard, custom cut*

Lower Half
    GPI Slim Colt-style Lower
    White Oak LPK
    ALG ACT trigger
    KNS Anti-Rotation Pins
    Hahn Precision 9mm Buffer
    Carbine spring
    KAK Shockwave RE*
    Shockwave Blade brace*
    Magpul MOE SL grip*
    Magpul Enhanced trigger guard
    Magpul ASAP-QD end plate

Yes, I colorfilled the pictogram markings as well as the non-lever side of the safety selector. I did this for two reasons, 1) I want the condition of the gun to be clearly visible to observers and 2) I really like the looks of it.

I was having major ejection issues and went so far as to buy a different buffer and Wolff extra power spring and tried different brands and weights of ammo. No joy. Finally, I did a little bit of research and traced it to the ejector. A slight tweak and the thing spits the empties four feet to the 3o'clock.

I originally had the Magpul K grip on it. For what the gun is intended to do (mimic an MP5k), it was naturally a given. However, after using the SL grip for a bit, I'm sold on it to the point where I may swap out the MIAD on my Colt 6920. I've had the MIAD on there for so long, it became my default grip of choice. I do wish the SL had room for storage, but I might be able to jerry-rig something. I'd like to keep a set of foam ear plugs with it in case I happen to forget my ear pro.

I want to get a hand stop to keep hands away from the muzzle. I'm thinking of the ZeroBravo RHS for this. I may also try the Noveske panels. I may also play with cutting some longer rails to give me more room for a vertical grip and hand stop once it's SBRed. The next step though is finding a case for it. Currently, it's sitting in a tennis racket case I picked up at Goodwill for a ludicrous amount of money...$8! It fits it pretty well, but there's no way to keep magazines with it and, well, I'm not the tennis type.
    Hey Halo:
    Awesome! I Love it...

What kind of trigger poundage does she have for pull?
    You mind saying approx. much $ you have in this build?

OH Yeah, Back Pack it!

Peace Jeff
    Last edited by RVTMaverick; 05-19-15 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The trigger is the ACT trigger from ALG. I'm not sure about the trigger weight, but it's a bit on the heavy side. It breaks right off with no take up. I've probably got $1,500 or so in it. I got some parts at a discount through sales and such.
    The overall assembled length is about 22". I could carry it broken down, but then I'd run the risk of bending the ejector. I've got a few cases in mind, but none are as cheap as the tennis racket case. I keep a key chain measuring tape close by in the event I see something that might be 're-tasked' into a gun case.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That is a beautiful thing. Nice work.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    That's gorgeous. Any plans to SBR it?
    Good equipment is no substitute for good training.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks guys! I fully intend to SBR it down the road. I'd like to setup a trust so I can e-form it. Right now though, I have a few other irons in the fire. In the meantime I'm making small refinements to it. I've already added a longer rail to the bottom as well as a hand stop.
    New pics forthcoming.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Some more pics with the new rail and hand stop. The bottom rail is a modified BCM polymer keymod rail.

-VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Wicked!!!

Thinking of building one out of a lower I've already got...thought about utilizing the Hahn Mag block, any benefits to utilizing a lower such as the one you are using?

Again, great build!!!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The only two benefits I see are simplicity and a possible weight savings. Not having another piece to buy is nice. At the time, comparing the price of a standard lower & mag block to a dedicated (GPI) lower, it came out about the same. Another thing for the slim lowers is the weight savings VS a CMMG dedicated lower or a lower & mag block. I don't know the exact weight difference, but the GPI that I used has to be at least slightly lighter. An added benefit to the slim lowers is just the aesthetics of a more proportional magazine to mag well look.
    The downside to a dedicated lower is that it will always be a 9mm. A standard lower can be SBRed and converted to 9mm using a bottom - insert mag adapter.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry to bump such an old thread. Very cool build! In the process of getting a list together for my 9mm build.
    Was thinking of the SLR rail but your MI Gen3 looks great.
    Ground Defense 1, Blade Defense 1, Defensive Pistol 1 & 2, Alliance Shoothouse, YSINTG, Carbine 1, NRA Range Safety Officer
    david@damagephotos.com
    Damage Photos on Facebook
    @damage_photos on Instagram

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast