Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would you first adjust buffer weight/spring rate or gas for tuning?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't have an adjustable gas block on any of my rifles, so I do the buffer lock back tests as stated above, but that is mainly because that is my only option.

I think it is fairly common practice to do coarse adjustments first and fine tune from there. You only have so many options available with the buffers so start there and tune with your gas port from that point. I don't know that there is an absolute correct way of doing this as long as the end result is a rifle that functions with a wide selection of ammo.

ETA: Hopefully someone chimes in with the absolute best way, with solid reasoning behind the approach. Learning new stuff is great.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 05-20-15 at 22:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree. Put a USGI spring and an A5H2 (standard A5 Buffer) in the gun and tune from there.

If you have a Carbine RE, then tune it to the H2 buffer.
    This is the same approach I use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't kept up on this thread, but I've been able to tune my rifles with buffer changes. I use a standard carbine receiver extension (as opposed to the A5) and I had or bought an carbine buffer, an H, ST-T2, and H2 buffer. Then I tried them out with the weakest ammo I use up to the good 5.56 77Gr stuff. I note subjectively the feel of the rifle, where the brass lands, and what condition the brass is in. Then I pick which buffer works best. BTW I use the SpringCo 'Blue' spring in most rifles. And I end up using the H2 buffer in most rifles.

I never ever have cycling problems, but I also credit part of that to the fact that I use good parts and primarily BCM BCGs.

One rifle that is different for me is the one with the BCM BFH LW 14.5" Mid-length. In that I use a standard carbine spring and an 'H' buffer.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
    One rifle that is different for me is the one with the BCM BFH LW 14.5" Mid-length. In that I use a standard carbine spring and an 'H' buffer.
    Same here for my BCM 14.5 middies.... I just didn't want to cause too much confusion in the thread. The 14.5 BCM middy and H buffer is nearly physics defying in smoothness.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    BCM = Good Stuff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12