Thread: My review of Overwatch Customs

Feedback Score

My review of Overwatch Customs

I was in the market for some custom Glock work done. Apart from Ben at Boresight Solutions, there was no one else offering the combination of work I was looking for. This work included a grip chop, grip reduction, and finger bevel. If you take a look at Ben's work, I wanted a Level 2 grip package. As far as I knew, there was no one else offering the kind of reduction that Ben offered. I wanted a very specific shape to the grip after it was chopped and reduced. The only problem was, I was looking at a 4 month wait, according to Boresight's website. Enter Overwatch Customs.

The business was originally known as Helios Customs, and changed over to Overwatch Customs. Gerry appears to be a one-man setup. Pricing is on par with Boresight. However, Gerry's wait is only one week. I sent my gun to him on a Monday, arrived at his business on Tuesday, and he would have returned the gun to me on Saturday (more on this later). I had a grip chop, extreme reduction, chainlink stippling, and finger/glove bevels added in.

However, there was a snag. Gerry had polished the inside the trigger guard too much, and as a result, my aftermarket Zev Technologies trigger would simply slip off of the frame when pressed to the rear. The safety would not press against the frame, it would just slide up and off.

Well, I have to admit this one is partially my fault. I had not told Gerry that I had an aftermarket trigger in the gun. It looks identical to a stock trigger. Had I notified Gerry of this, I am sure that he would have taken this into account as he was doing the polishing. I must also stress that this is not a problem with a stock trigger. A stock trigger, with no pretravel adjustments, works perfectly fine. I ended up fixing the problem myself by simply taking a soldering iron with a broad tip, and putting a shallow dimple into the portion of the frame where the safety comes into contact with it. It works perfectly fine now, as the safety has something to bite into rather than sliding up and over the frame. Also, the imperfections and discolorations you see are from where I marked the frame with a sharpie, along with rubbing alcohol that I used to remove said sharpie marks. When the frame arrived to me, it was perfectly finished.

Gerry's work is very clean, and his times are blazing fast. However, what impressed me the most was his customer service. I have never, ever, encountered a business owner who went to the lengths that he did. As soon as he realized that it wasn't working, he called me and told me straight up that he had made a mistake (that wasn't completely his fault). He immediately refunded my money. In addition, Gerry told me that he would buy me a new pistol. As I live in California, and this is a Gen 4 Glock which is not on the approved roster, Gerry could not transfer a new Gen 4 Glock to me through an FFL as per California's idiotic gun laws. He then offered to drive, in person, from Arizona to California to transfer me a new pistol if face-to-face transactions were acceptable. Sadly, that's a no-go either. He suggested that I send the frame to Glock for a complete frame replacement, and that he would cover shipping costs as well as the cost of a new frame. Nope, foiled again by California's gun laws.

He eventually figured out through our phone conversations that it was not a stock trigger. He put a stock trigger into the frame, and it worked perfectly. So I said just go ahead and send it back to me as is. Gerry said that no matter what, my money would be refunded. I was floored by his service. For my friends in free states, who have the option of simply picking up any new Glock that they want, without having to worry about a stupid roster of approved handguns for sale, should something go sideways rest assured that Gerry will own up to any mistakes he makes and will cover you. Anytime you send in any gun to any smith, there will always be a risk of something going wrong. There is essentially no risk involved with Gerry, he's a standup and honest businessman. Again, I would like to reiterate that this gun worked perfectly fine with a stock trigger in it. Check out his website if you're interested.

Overwatch Customs
    Last edited by ruchik; 05-21-15 at 05:18.

Feedback Score
    This is an excellent, thorough and thoughtful review. Thank you for taking the time to write it up and to provide so much detail. Sounds like Gerry is a stand-up guy. I hope his business thrives. Your photographs were excellent, too. Be safe.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Great write-up, might send some work his way.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm very happy it worked out and you were able to remedy the situation. Its also refreshing to hear of a business owner who is willing to bend over backwards like that to satisfy a customer!

Feedback Score
    ruchik, could you compare your custom Glock to the custom S&W M&P you wrote about back in 2012? Which one fits your small hands better, etc.?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    I'm very happy it worked out and you were able to remedy the situation. Its also refreshing to hear of a business owner who is willing to bend over backwards like that to satisfy a customer!
    This. Mistakes happen. It's what happens afterward that separates the good guys from Bastards.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Very impressed.

Beyond the quality of work, the fact that a business, and the owner/operator nonetheless, was willing to go through so many lengths to make sure these things were properly set-up for you.

As we can see, good business furthers results. I imagine this could have gone a completely different way had it just been shipped back, no communications, and when the customer calls they say: "Yeah, our tech saw that and marked it down as an aftermarket trigger we weren't notified of before."

While I don't know if that's even possible in this industry, I have been a recipient of many "company-gets-off-scott-free" clauses like that.

I do agree, mistakes happen, and this guy was obviously willing to do everything in his power to keep a customer happy. Takes a special kinda bloke to be okay with doing a lot of fine, intensive, craft work like that; see the end product and revel in your craftsmanship, assemble and go to test it all... and it's messed up. That heart sinking feeling must have been a heck of a thing. For him to turn around, buck up, take full responsibility, even after the customer admits shared fault, that gets a lot of kudos from my book.

I will be considering Gerry for this work in the future, simply from this word-of-mouth review.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 06-02-16 at 13:18.