Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens when ammo is dropped / burned / shot / crushed

Feedback Score

What happens when ammo is dropped / burned / shot / crushed

SAAMI tested what happens when ammo is subjected to all kinds of accidents and abuse, including being ignited when not chambered, being crushed by a bulldozer, burned, dropped from 65 feet, shot with .308, and blown up with a blasting cap. Then they made a video about it. The gist: ammo is a lot more stable and less dangerous than I thought. I did tear-up a bit watching all that ammo destroyed, though

http://youtu.be/3SlOXowwC4c
    Last edited by Vorpalis; 05-22-15 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I viewed a video on this subject 15 years ago when I was investigating a death. A projectile from burning small arms ammunition has a much lower velocity than that fired out of a firearm. Protective clothing worn by firemen will stop the projectiles.

People put dud rounds in the burn barrels at my gun club. Once in a while you will hear a round detonate during a barrel burn and a noise when the projectile or brass strikes the inside of the barrel. The noise is not nearly as loud as gunfire.

Ammunition stored in a tight metal container is a different story.

I strongly advise against experimenting on your own.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-22-15 at 12:14.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Been in several structure fires as ammo was touching off and it has never been an issue. I'm more concerned over firearms with one in the chamber or the 30lb ammo can...
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    I know from experience that the casings are thrown a lot further than the bullets when burned, and it sounds like firecrackers.

I don't know why people think the bullet will shoot out, there is no barrel, no stabilization, and the bullet weighs much more than the casing (pistol and 7.62x39).
    Last edited by MegademiC; 05-22-15 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Ammunition of all sorts is very durable and can withstand alot (well except blasting caps)

Especially when you've dropped a honeycomb full of 120mm Tank Rounds from 7ft in the air and no boom

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    What happens when you post this in the wrong area? It gets moved.

https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...amp-Ammunition

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I know from experience that the casings are thrown a lot further than the bullets when burned, and it sounds like firecrackers.

I don't know why people think the bullet will shoot out, there is no barrel, no stabilization, and the bullet weighs much more than the casing (pistol and 7.62x39).
    I have seen this first hand as well. The casing flies pretty far. When I was a kid we put a shotgun shell in a hay bail. Then shot at the primer with a bb gun. After 40-50 shots one of us hit the primer. That shotgun shell shot out of the bail like a rocket, and hit a buddy on the other side of the yard. It dropped him fast leaving a welt much larger than what a paintball marker will.
    Last edited by jstone; 05-22-15 at 16:02.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I melonite all of my ammo. And that shit gets to like 900 degrees, MAMA!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstone View Post
    I have seen this first hand as well. The casing flies pretty far. When I was a kid we put a shotgun shell in a hay bail. Then shot at the primer with a bb gun. After 40-50 shots one of us hit the primer. That shotgun shell shot out of the bail like a rocket, and hit a buddy on the other side of the yard. It dropped him fast leaving a welt much larger than what a paintball marker will.
    This is the best story of all time.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    Been in several structure fires as ammo was touching off and it has never been an issue. I'm more concerned over firearms with one in the chamber or the 30lb ammo can...
    I was in the worst fire in TX history a few years ago,i forgot to grab my wifes .380 that was in a night stand.
    The gun fired 1 round becouse it was loaded,the rest went off in the mag,swelling it but not bursting it.
    The box of ammo that was beside it went off,but all the brass was laying close together like in the box together but no box,there was nothing but twisted metal and ash,we never found 1 piece of plastic. The house burned so fast everything dropped straight down,dishes still stacked etc.

I did find .38 brass in my yard from my neighbors house that flew about 60 yards onto my property. The case being lighter than the bullet like any other explosion takes the past of least resistance and the cases fly further than the bullets.
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 05-22-15 at 18:04.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast