Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tired of the flash/ a less visible pack

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Tactical Tailor Urban Operator is a nice understated edc pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Check out the Oakley bags...been using one for work for years and been thinking of grabbing one of their smaller for edc use...i too considered the Tactical Tailor but when my wife said it looked too much like a purse...well I reconsidered which is unfortunate because I like the side zip access...

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Tom bihn makes nice bags as well. I think that's how it's spelt. They're exellent quality but just not my style.

Kifaru has that new Antero that looks awsome.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Kifaru Urban Zippy is my EDC pack. Great bag. Built like a tank.

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/urba...ters-p150.aspx
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Anyone rocking a ggg griff?

I like the side access cuts as they give tiu immediate access to your pistol whether on or off but I'm wondering if it's almost to big of a pack?

Seems like a good option as in grey, it's not overly tactical...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    That's a great-looking pack. I'd like to have one in OD green (I sent them the suggestion). However, I agree with the previous post that it's much better to buy a civilian backpacking / hiking brand if you truly want to look low-profile. Anything that has "operator" in the name still looks tactical, no matter what color it is.

Dave

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Check out an Arcteryx Mantis. Mine has been great.

http://www.moontrail.com/arc-teryx-mantis-26.php

Feedback Score
    OP I have a North Face Recon backpack that I bought in 2008ish and use everyday in both daily life and as an LEO. I've carried everything from my workout clothes and snacks for patrol to an MP5K in it. If you REALLY want to blend in then wear what the people you are trying to blend in with are wearing. Even most of the "discrete" tactical bags on the market are unusual enough in design and construction that they will tip off the more observant folks in everyday life. If you just want to avoid comments about your MOLLE webbing, well that's a different story.

FWIW, North Face's 2016 designs look pretty good, and they are making them out of cordura starting this year, rather than nylon. I myself plan to take a look at them at some point later this year. Also, Patagonia has a giant selection of backpacks in all colors and sizes with some really interesting selections in pocket layouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty w View Post
    Tactical Tailor Urban Operator is a nice understated edc pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/urba...ters-p150.aspx
    None of these blend in an urban or suburban environment at all. I see similar designs quite often here in DC and it is an instant tip off that the wearer is either LEO or military, or *gasp* a prepared citizen. North Face/Patagonia/Arcteryx/Osprey et. al. doesnt engender nearly the same reaction.
    Last edited by ChaseN; 06-15-15 at 02:47.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTupperware View Post
    I use my rush 24hr pack daily ( 5 years ? ) and i like it for the most part. one thing that i thought was cool at first was all the molle webbing they hung off of it, now i strongly dislike it. If you need it you need it, but i have only used it to transport an 18" screwdriver riding a motorcycle... what i don't like is how many people notice and comment. Ive got nothing against wearing camo or having a tough looking pack, I'm just tired of the flash. i like everything else about it.

small mesh inside pockets for organization
    document pouch (keeps them wrinkle free)
    hydration bladder friendly
    eye pro pocket
    large interior
    outside brest pockets
    outside larger pocket (big enough for large glocktupperware)
    kydex like back plate (for heavy loads)

My question is, does anyone manufacture a pack that is more discrete and has may of the same features?
    Im just starting my search and thought i would ask. thank you!

Maxpedition is now making a number of bags made to look less tacti-cool and tend to have plenty of useful pockets, etc. I was considering one of these for example:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...AG-83p6723.htm
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaseN View Post
    OP I have a North Face Recon backpack that I bought in 2008ish

None of these blend in an urban or suburban environment at all. I see similar designs quite often here in DC and it is an instant tip off that the wearer is either LEO or military, or *gasp* a prepared citizen. North Face/Patagonia/Arcteryx/Osprey et. al. doesnt engender nearly the same reaction.
    Valid points. But the problem is that most people will stand out because they do not have oblivious look on them all of the time.

The main problem is that it is a fine line between complete anonymity and durability. North Face makes a good pack but I have worn several out, to the point they were not usable, using them in semi-permissible environments on a daily basis.

Look at what the point is for the bag and then make you weigh the advantages vs. disadvantages. If you are caring your lunch and a tablet then you can carry what ever you want. If it is your Get Home Bag then you may have the most Low Vis bag out there but if it does not hold up when the SHTF then it is useless. You must weight durability with concealability. If you use a pack like the Low Viz Tactical Tailor or Kifaru packs then yes you loose a little ananimity but gain durability.

I personally have not used a pack made from ballistics nylon in about 13 years. The lightest material I will use is 500 D Cordura. The Nylon products just don't hold up under stress and a SHTF situation is stress.

Looking around now days even the pseudo-tactical stuff around seem common place. Even the hipsters are caring that stuff. So it really just depends on your area and what you want to do with it. Weight out the pros and cons for the bags you are looking at and ten make a choice.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast