Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking About a PTR-91

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thinking About a PTR-91

I've already got my dream AR 97% set up as I've always wanted, but as the title says, I'm thinking about picking up a PTR-91 for a proper "heavy-hitter MBR." I've always wanted one - to my long wingspan, the ergonomics are great; the magazines are ridiculously cheap; the ammo is widely available; PTR has had a few years to work out most (if not all) the teething issues, and now makes most (again, if not all) of the parts in-house; even the wide handguards that used to be nearly impossible to find are easy to get. I've fired a FAL, M1A, AR-10, and even a Kel-Tec RFB (which choked on two of the five rounds I put through it and won't be mentioned again), and overall I like the G3 design and feel the best of all of them.

As always, a few questions though:

1) Extended maintenance - what springs and parts wear out often? What should I order to keep it running smoothly for 50,000 rounds - rollers? Main spring? Magazine springs? Is grease the best lube, or should I use oil?

2) Optics - as a MBR and not DMR or other precision role, aside from irons I'd like to run a micro RDS on the permanently-installed Pic rail on the receiver. The most I've been able to find is from years-old discussions involving claw mounts. Would an Aimpoint T1/T2 be mountable for any sort of co-witness? Would they even hold up to the recoil impulse of .308?

3) The lower portion (grip, safety, and trigger pack housing) that these seem to be released with currently look like something TAPCO designed, and I'm not quite convinced I like it. Reviews say that they're functionally fine, but if I want to buy a "Navy" style lower or stamped steel lower, would they presumably be easily interchangeable?

4) Several have talked about using a Heavy Buffer to reduce wear and recoil. Any input, criticisms, or praise for it?

5) Sling. What are my options? Is the HK Claw style really the most recommended option, or can I get creative with IWC QD cups?

Probably more questions later as I think of them. Also feel free to post pictures of your setups, too, since the HK picture thread for this subforum seems to have fizzled out...
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I picked up one of the PTR91s with a rail last year. I haven't shot it a whole lot but I can answer some of your questions:

1) Plus size rollers are recommended for long term maintenance as they can be used to adjust the headspace to bring it back into spec as the bolt, locking piece, rollers, and barrel extension wear. Other than that common spares like extractor, firing pin, and springs are good to have. You can get complete buttstock assemblies for way cheap* currently, which have recoil springs and buffers already installed.

2) Aimpoint Micro co-witnesses with the stock iron sights, if you use a Aimpoint low mount.

3) The lowers are interchangeable once they've been cut to fit a semi-auto receiver. I swapped mine out as I didn't like the feel of the stock unit.

4) The heavy buffer is probably overkill in a semi-auto rifle. You can also change the recoil force/opening timing by swapping locking pieces to a different angle.

5) The HK 3 position sling is actually pretty well thought out, and works well on this rifle. You can always swap it for a Vickers or BFG and just use a HK or MASH hook up front.

Spares are crazy cheap and available** right now. It looks like the Germans and Pakistanis are dumping a lot of spares on the market now. If you're going to get into it, get while the getting is good.

H

* $24 here: https://www.libertytreecollectors.co...&idcategory=51
    ** RTG parts has many small spares: http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/HK91-G3-PTR91-c2.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So I've done a bit of looking around and made the "mistake" of discovering the Vector Arms 94L. I figure if I get a PTR, then this (even though it's over double the price) would be a neat addition to have too. The performance of 9mm out of a 16" barrel seems quite adequate, the same manual-of-arms as the 91, a longer sight radius than a usual MP5, less expensive ammo (though more expensive magazines), etc.

Anyone used or own one? Are these worth the price tag?

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I picked up a PTR 91 GI about a year and a half ago to run as a KISS battle rifle. I really like it, but found I don't shoot it nearly enough because it beats up the brass pretty badly, and I don't shoot much .308 that aren't reloads, and I'm looking to sell mine now. I'll try to answer the questions that I can.

2) Optics - as a MBR and not DMR or other precision role, aside from irons I'd like to run a micro RDS on the permanently-installed Pic rail on the receiver. The most I've been able to find is from years-old discussions involving claw mounts. Would an Aimpoint T1/T2 be mountable for any sort of co-witness? Would they even hold up to the recoil impulse of .308?
    An Aimpoint T/H-1 or similar micro red dot should co witness on a wielded rail or claw rail mount.

3) The lower portion (grip, safety, and trigger pack housing) that these seem to be released with currently look like something TAPCO designed, and I'm not quite convinced I like it. Reviews say that they're functionally fine, but if I want to buy a "Navy" style lower or stamped steel lower, would they presumably be easily interchangeable?
    Lowers are interchangeable. Mine came from the factory with the Navy polymer lower, and I replaced it with the older metal lower because I liked the grip better. The trigger packs are easily swapped from lower to lower if you do decide to change from one to the other.
    5) Sling. What are my options? Is the HK Claw style really the most recommended option, or can I get creative with IWC QD cups?
    I run a padded V-Tac on mine with HK hooks. I never had a problem with the system, so I never looked at replacing it. You might be able to make QD mounts work. Hell, I got a Magpul MOE vertical grip attacked to the hand guard on mine.

I'd also recommend looking into the "Tac Latch" Mag release. The stock button isn't particularly handy, and the Tac Latch is a good alternative to having a gunsmith do the work to restore the original paddle mag release. The PTR is a very cool modular weapon that lets you change it from a classy, wood stock look, to a modern, semi-camouflaged battle rifle with the polymer furniture.

EDIT: Older picture of my PTR, before I put the MagPul MVG or the Tac Latch on.

Last edited by Alpha-17; 06-01-15 at 19:17.

Feedback Score
    Something to be mindful of is that there are PTR 91s out there that simply will not work with 7.62x51. You must shoot only .308 out of them. I don't know if this is still a thing, or if it would be much of an issue to you (I shoot almost exclusively Wolf or Prvi .308 through mine- it chokes on all 7.62x51) but keep it in mind.
    Last edited by Vintovka; 06-01-15 at 21:55.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How so? Chamber dimensions? Pressure differences?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Got one I'll sell you. PM me.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintovka View Post
    Something to be mindful of is that there are PTR 91s out there that simply will not work with 7.62x51. You must shoot only .308 out of them. I don't know if this is still a thing, or if it would be much of an issue to you (I shoot almost exclusively Wolf or Prvi .308 through mine- it chokes on all 7.62x51) but keep it in mind.
    Those were the older JLD stamped PTRs with serial numbers that started with A and AW. The chamber flutes weren't cut deep enough. I had 2 of them.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sig1473 View Post
    Those were the older JLD stamped PTRs with serial numbers that started with A and AW. The chamber flutes weren't cut deep enough. I had 2 of them.
    Any of the newer GI models should work fine. PTR finally decided to get back to the original design when they released the various GI models.

Feedback Score
    I was seriously considering picking up one of these. Mags & parts are cheap and this would be a great time to get in if this rifle was what it could be. BUT, there are a lot of posts on HK Pro forum that indicate this is nowhere near HK spec. Bolts may be cast or MIM, same with hammer and other parts. Some of the tooling may be from HK, but it sounds like they abandoned HK spec and used whatever construction most cost effective. Reports of cracked trunion/bolts are particularly concerning along with non-spec barrel. Once you get through changing what needs changed, you would likely be better off with another platform.
    Last edited by brushy bill; 06-03-15 at 20:40.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast